Thread: Shocks

RC Champion

Shocks

Just changed my rear springs to the double orange. I notice no difference in how bad it squats under throttle.
    I also noticed that the shocks with no sprigs on them have no rebound? My savage and tmaxx both have a bit of rebound to them.

RC Qualifier
    You still have to wind the preload up a bit. I have mine set about 1cm down from the shock cap. it has significantly reduced squat but still keeps that soft feel.
    Shocks aren't made to have rebound without springs. That is part of the springs purpose.
    A shocks purpose is to dampen or slow down the springy movements of the spring. This is so that you get a smooth ride. Without shock absorbers the springs just keep bouncing after you hit a bump.
    A spring gives the tension needed to hold something off the ground for example but still allow it to move under force.
    So together a spring allows the wheel to move over a bump and the shock slows down this process so it isn't such an abrupt up/down movement.

The rebound you said was in the shocks on your savage and tmaxx i believe is from not all of the oil going though the piston once it is fully compressed thus when you let it go that oil that hasn't gone through the piston pushes the shock pin/piston back out.
    Hope that helps
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Just changed my rear springs to the double orange. I notice no difference in how bad it squats under throttle.
    I also noticed that the shocks with no sprigs on them have no rebound? My savage and tmaxx both have a bit of rebound to them.
    Are the shocks full? I was always told a properly rebuilt/filled shock rebounds 1/3-1/2 the way back out when compressed pretty quick. Mine generally do after a rebuild or a fluid swap. Maybe try adding more fluid. That's just what I've been told and have had good results with.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Champion
    ya they are full. pulled a few apart yesterday to check them... even with the top off they still seem pretty stiff.. Thats the way i have my other veh set so they rebound and they work great. My summit has very little squat but still has a very responsive suspension set up.. Tmaxx still have some tweaking to do it still squats pretty good.