RC Racer

Using Battery Bunker for Lipo Battery?

Hey guys. I'm still doing a lot of research on the safety of Lipos. I already have a lipo sack, however I feel in my opinion, that its necessary to store them in a Battery Bunker that I been hearing good reviews about. I plan to store the lipo batteries in my garage. But when the wheather gets hot, (From Cali by the way) do the lipos still stay cool in the bunker? I know I said on my other post that I'm going to charge in my room with lipo bag with me there the whole time, which I'll still do, but having second thoughts in storing in a cash box in my room since It wouldn't be pretty to have smoke venting fumes while not around.(If it were to happen) Thats why I was thinking of storing in garage with a battery bunker as long as the lipo stays cool inside of it even during hot days.

RC Champion
    Don't own a BB, but also considering one for storage. It's not a cooler per se; it's just a fire-retardant pot. The temperature inside it will be the same as whatever area it's in. I would keep your LiPos inside the house where they're cool and happy. Safety comes in the form of prevention, i.e., making sure your packs don't get overcharged (4.2V max per cell), over DIScharged (3.5V minimum per cell). You should also store them in something like the BB or an ammo box. Also, don't ever leave them fully charged for long stretches of time. Charge em, use em.

You probably know most of this stuff already, so forgive me if it's redundant.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    Lipo's are not as bad as they used to be when they first come out... you do realize that the newer laptops are all running lipo now. If your worried about them just store them in a fire proof safe or cash box that can be found for about $20

RC Racer
    I see. So its common and safe to store and charge a lipo battery inside my house as long as its in something fire proof like a Cash box or ammo box? And yes I know everything else on how to maintain these batteries in regards of charge settings, discharging, balancing, storing voltage, etc.

RC Champion
    You really don't need to store them in anything fire proof. Usually the only time their will be a issue is with user error. You can store them in something fireproof for PC of mind. I'm in the same area. I was not going to get lipo's but the more I started to read and looking at the dates their was more issues years ago when they first come out. Now you rarely see anything. Sure they may puff once and a while but what battery dosent? I'm just gonna store mine in a fire proof box and call it good

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by robby22 View Post
    I see. So its common and safe to store and charge a lipo battery inside my house as long as its in something fire proof like a Cash box or ammo box? And yes I know everything else on how to maintain these batteries in regards of charge settings, discharging, balancing, storing voltage, etc.
    Then it's all good. Go have fun.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it. I'll try to have as much fun as I can when I order the big monster 3s lipo.

RC Qualifier
    I have 2 2s lipos and I don't store them in anything. They stay ice cold outside when I'm running them and cold when I charge them inside on my desk at 5 amps (they are 5000mah batteries so it's fine).

RC Racer
    Thanks vladsly. I'm feeling more confident owning a lipo with these recent feedbacks. I also might just get a 2s lipo instead of a 3s since I dont have to worry about heating issues. But then 3s is more powerful. So I'll have to make a smart decision.