RC Qualifier

Anyone tape their SCT tires???

Sooooo, I went last Sunday to the track for a lil practice before this Saturday's race. My tires are ballon'n really bad on the straights, to the point where it's REALLY hard to keep her going straight. I've seen a few posts in the 1/16 Rally section where they duct/gorilla tape the inside of the tire to keep the ballon'n from happen'n.......would this trick also work for SCT tires????

Appreciate any comments........
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

RC Qualifier
    yes it helps sct tires also

For the track, yes I would tape them
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Yes it is recommended to tape them. Well I recommend it as do others. I tape ALL of my tires for ALL of my rcs.
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Champion
    I tape all my tires and highly recommend it, really improves handling at high speeds.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    Yip, cannot add much to what already has been added, but you definitely want to tape your tires with Gorilla Tape. I have tried other tapes (gaffer, cloth, duct etc.) and they just don't hold up. Taping the the Tires will also greatly assist in preventing the tires from taking the paint off the inner wheel wells of your body.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks a bunch guys!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I totally for got about the sidewall gluing technique that Shark413 mentioned on another site.. Here's his post:

Ok I am gonna let you Rally followers in on a little secret. I have several other threads "Sharks SC10 4x4, Sharks Durango, Sharks Slash 4x4, " etc. where I go into great deal on the building and modding of those trucks. One thing I have never mentioned, but will share here is sidewall gluing. Racers have been doing this for a while but I see few threads talking about it. With SC trucks, for the scale look they have what they call "2.2 / 3.0" tires which means the outside of the tire has a taller side wall to give the scale look but on the other side the tire has a low profile sidewall. Lower profile tires offer several benefits, improved steering feel/response, improved sidewall stability, less ballooning, less camber distortion when cornering (sidewall rollover). That's why buggies (1/10 and 1/8) use low profile tires. But SC trucks have tires that are unbalanced because they use "2.2/3.0" tires. For the dirt I plan on using JConepts 3D SC tires which are 2.3/3.0 tires, but I glue the outside inner sidewall to the rim to create a low profile combo on both sides, which will improve the handling. What you do is glue the outside of the tire to the rim as you normally would, then turn the tire inside out and remove the foam. This exposes the outside inner sidewall; you can now glue the outside inner ribbing to the wheel, creating a low profile tire configuration.

Glue the outside of the tire to the wheel, then turn the tire inside out and remove the foam.

This is the inner reinforement ribbing of the taller outside part of the 2.2/3.0 tire and needs to be glued to the wheel.

Put a little CA glue on the inner ribs and press and hold against the wheel. Do this all the away around the tire. Once done turn the tire right side out, install the foam and glue the inside bead
    Superman don't need no seatbelt-Ali
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Qualifier
    Thanks DriveIt!!! Mount'n some tires for tomorrow's race so I'll give it a try!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
    Thanks DriveIt!!! Mount'n some tires for tomorrow's race so I'll give it a try!!!
    Kool..I should be gluing tires tonight a well but I working on a few RC projects. I'll be running bald tires this weekend.

Have you beaten your son in a race yet?? Did you like the 65C SPC Lipos?
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Qualifier
    I tried the side wall technique a few weeks ago..it takes awhile to glue the tires on using this method and thin CA glue works better for step two, turn the tire inside out and remove the foam and then glue the tire to the wheel. I tried the side wall gluing method with an old set of JC goose bumps that I removed from wheels with stripped hexes but used new JC foam inserts and PL wheels. It was worth the effort cause tires did handle well on the track.

2x SSC SL4x4

RC Qualifier
    HA HA HA......thanks DriveIt and no I still can't put the smackdown on my son!!!!! LOL!!! Still blame'n video games though!!!! Last race my esc smoke'd in the 1st qualifier so I switch'd to the TT Sparrowhawk.....he got a 2nd in the main, should've had 1st but when he mess's up, he tends to screw the ol pooch for a few laps until he calms down.....but last Sunday we went and practice'd, we were race'n each other pretty hardcore and I was FINALLY hang'n with him!!!!! Until another racer got into me off a jump and broke my servo horn......but I'm ready to go for tomorrows race!!!!! And the 65C packs are AWESOME!!!!!! Thanks for the help my friend!!!!!