RC Competitor

Cheap batteries!

I am looking at traxxas power cell series 5 batteries but I was wondering if they would work on the older 2.4 summit?

RC Champion
    do you have a lipo charger. i think two spc 2s 8200mah lipos might be cheaper than those nimh. but you would need a lipo alarm. a lipo alarm can be had for a couple of bucks on ebay. it would still be cheaper than the 5000mah nimh.
    but yes the 5000mah nimh will work.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Competitor
    No I only have a dual charger for nhim batties and I have heard quite a few stories about lipos that turn me away.

RC Qualifier
    They are only dangerous if you make them mad! I've had my lipos for almost a year and I haven't had problems! I got 2 5000mah 40c 2S1P Lipo batteries (Sky Lipo) and a Thunder AC6 charger for the price of one 5000mah traxxas lipo, and test results show that the Traxxas Lipos aren't as good as other brands like Gens Ace or Sky Lipo. Venom is expensive, never tried SPC though.

RC Competitor
    I am going see what my LHS has to offer.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rockysummit View Post
    No I only have a dual charger for nhim batties and I have heard quite a few stories about lipos that turn me away.
    you will be ok with the 5000mah nimh. good summiting.

RC Racer
    LOOK iv been in rc for 1 year went straight to lipo. had 7 lipos no problems im not dead. never had any serious problems. i did velcro one to my truck some guy told me not to. 3 min later it ripped the case off and i ran it over repedidley. as it also rolled down the street. after that i vinal taped it back together. all the plastic. jammed it back in its case nice and gental. taped the plapapus out of it. i have ran it 40 times after that. and its perfect. so get one. dont think about it! just do it.

RC Qualifier
    Dude, LiPo. Lipo is way way way better than nimh. Don't buy Nimhs.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info I am going to see what my LHS has later.

RC Qualifier
    Lipo @ your LHS?? Ouch,...bring your Visa!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rockysummit View Post
    Thanks for the info I am going to see what my LHS has later.
    google spclipo, it will save you mega mula. they even have a low voltage alarm that you will need on the old evx-2.

RC Champion
    Lipos are safe. Every cell phone uses lipos, you never hear "DON'T DROP IT IT WILL EXPLODE!" because it's not a concern anymore. You can ruin a lipo just like you can ruin a nicad and cause problems. Don't let a few horror stories bother you - after all the majority of these guys who are jumping their cars 35 feet in the air at 50mph... are using lipos, without issue! They are all sealed units as well, so there's no water issues... the only issue is - as with all electronics - if you get them wet without cleaning them off, eventually after a bunch of times sediments/minerals build on on the contacts/balance plug causing a potential short.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I am holding of for now they are pretty expensive. I like to support my LHS cause usually when I need something they have it and I don't pay for shipping.