RC Enthusiast

Punch control help?

Hey can some explain what it means to switch your punch control ? Like what it does exactly

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    It eases the throttle on, rather than dumping all the voltage at once into the motor. You'll still get hard launches, but it will save your driveshafts since they're not going from sitting still to full twist in a fraction of a second. The higher the punch control number, the more it eases into the throttle.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

RC Racer
    Let me put it to like this when I have my punch turned all the way up and I floor it my truck will flip over on its lid, the acceleration is crazy it's a bit too much so I turn my punch down and it makes it less violent on take off but the top speed stays the same but the off the line punch is less witch is helpful if you have a powerful system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    I love using it on my E-Maxx Brushless...it totally tames the flip-overs and violent starts.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I got my e revo bl with 2/3s. What's in your opinion would be a good percentage to start
    At so I don't flip right away. Can u still flip it or so if your doing like 25-30mph?

RC poster
    I'd say try 30-40%

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisfoster View Post
    Let me put it to like this when I have my punch turned all the way up and I floor it my truck will flip over on its lid, the acceleration is crazy it's a bit too much so I turn my punch down and it makes it less violent on take off but the top speed stays the same but the off the line punch is less witch is helpful if you have a powerful system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its actually inversely proportionate. 0=no current limit 100=max current limit.

Castle link guide at robotwars

Punch control
    This setting controls how much the ESC limits the current draw of the motor, in order to maintain control of the car under acceleration from a dead stop, or coming out of a corner. The higher the setting, the "calmer" the acceleration will be from a stand-still, or from low speed to high. This also helps protect tires and drivetrains during bashing, by putting them under less stress from the motor. Remember, an electric system is only as good as the batteries powering it, and the system cannot make up for a lack of performance from the packs/connectors. While running in the very low limiting, or with the limiting off, punch & acceleration power are at the mercy of the batteries; the better the pack, the more off-the-line power you'll have available.

I run 2/3s...I have my punch set on 30% and my torque on 9.2...I still like a bit of grunt in my throttle .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    alright cool. im gonna try that out then. i just gotta wait for my caste link to come in now

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had mine set at 30% and on a 5s speed run on 24/54 I almost flipped it at 50 when I hit the throttle too hard!

RC Enthusiast
    Is there a way to adjust this via the TQI app? Same as throttle sensitivity?

Quote Originally Posted by PBR Street View Post
    Is there a way to adjust this via the TQI app? Same as throttle sensitivity?
    That's different, throttle sensitivity is an exponential setting. With that, when you pull the trigger halfway, you might get 1/3 throttle, but then half to full trigger gives you the remaining 2/3. It can be adjusted as needed, but you always get full throttle at full trigger. With punch control off and throttle sensitivity set as "gentle" as it will go, pulling the trigger straight to full will still get you the same hard launch as no exponential at all. Punch control makes the motor accelerate differently even if you go straight to full trigger.

RC Enthusiast
    So no other way to adjust except via castle link I take it.

Correct, only via Castle Link.

Not that hard really....Castle Link

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

Its a trial and error thing mate...you need to play around with these settings to see what works best for you .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Looks easy...sadly not compatible with Mac.

RC Champion
    Ive heard of others using it on a MAC using windows VM.
    This is one of many reasons I wont ever go to apple products. With PC compatible you have multiple operating systems to choose from and if you dont like any of them and know how to write code you can get a copy of open source and write your own OS. With anything apple you can run exactly what apple says you can and nothing more.

RC Enthusiast
    Is there a way to manually adjust without castle link?

There's no way to manually adjust it that I know of. Castle does make a field programmer but I'd have to check again on the details. YOu could also do it via slipper clutch but keep a close eye on it. That motor can melt a spur gear before the battery runs out if the slipper is too loose.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Tex. good intel.

My pleasure PBR. The Castle field link programmer is able to adjust punch control as well.

RC Enthusiast
    Man, this **** hobby adds up $$$. I had no idea what I was getting into but strangely can't seem to stop myself.

RC poster
    Actually, you can change the settings of the ESC, including punch control with only the remote control of your car. It's in the manual...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Initially there can be a bit of a cash outlay, but once you're set up with everything then you can run pretty cheaply. I'm glad you're enjoying it to the point that you want to keep going. That's the whole point. Besides, it's a lot less than having a full-sized vehicle that's strictly a toy.

Welcome to the addiction mate...I could of bought myself a brand new small car with the amount of cash I've spent on my rigs...for some strange reason I too can't seem to help myself spending cash.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    I started out with a 2wd slash and the addiction grew from there.

Now
    2WD slash
    2X 4x4 slashes
    2x ERBEs
    A boatload of batteries, charger and power supply
    Futaba Radio with a recevier for each vehicle
    More tires and wheels than I will ever run
    Air brush compressor and 3 air brushes
    Tools, gadgets etc!

Im not even going to try and put a price tag on it as I may scare myself!

You can change some things with the card but its a worthwhile investment to get the castle link. Makes it a cinch and you can save profiles.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i know how that goes!
    small block t maxx
    big block t maxx
    1/8 scale buggy
    neu 1110 merv
    neu 1112 merv
    3908 e maxx w/1/8 scale diffs
    5608 e revo w/1/8 scale diffs
    and spare parts galore!

RC Enthusiast
    Wow. That's a long rc list.

My wife is starting to ask why all these boxes are arriving daily.

I did get a nitro for my brother but way to much work for this novice.

Back on topic I got the field link board vs. just the lone USB link. Went through remote manual and the option tree does not have punch. All good though. Looks like a pain to adjust that way.

The field link programmer does offer punch on it own without hooking it up to a PC...I think its the 5th one down on the card.

Does yours look like this
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5308060
    Rock n Rolla !