RC Racer

Traxxas Link and Castle 2650kv motor setup

Hi folks, I'm a Stampede 4x4 owner with a heavily modified truck. I use the TQi remote with full telemetry setup and connect my iPhone to the link app. Awesome product Traxxas

My question is with regards to a new motor and ESC I will be installing shortly. I've just ordered the Castle Mamba Monster v2 ESC and 2650kv motor combo. I noticed in the link model setup section it has the option to change the ESC to a Mamba Monster which is awesome and the motor to a 2200kv.

As I am getting the 2650kv, I will use the 2200kv setting as those 2 motors are very similar. Would be great if Traxxas added support for the Castle 2400 and 2650kv motors as well but what exactly will changing the motor in this link application do to my RPM and Speed telemetry accuracy? I assume the different motor choices mean something more than just cosmetic change in the setup. For example, will changing to a 2200kv Castle motor when I'm running a 2650 Castle motor mean some of the telemetry info is less accurate?

Would appreciate responses from knowledgable resources as I am doing a good job myself at guessing and speculating

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackelaktor View Post
    For example, will changing to a 2200kv Castle motor when I'm running a 2650 Castle motor mean some of the telemetry info is less accurate?
    I think it would have to; it's a different motor with different RPMs. Different RPMs = different speed calculation.

I hate to say something negative about my Traxxas product, but here goes: I don't find the speed telemetry all that accurate anyway. I know my E-Maxx Brushless with the taller pinion is faster than 35 MPH downhill on asphalt. On the positive side, I don't care. It's still a good baseline speed to compare other runs against. And the other telemetry I find quite accurate (temp & voltage).

My $.02
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    I think it would have to; it's a different motor with different RPMs. Different RPMs = different speed calculation.

I hate to say something negative about my Traxxas product, but here goes: I don't find the speed telemetry all that accurate anyway. I know my E-Maxx Brushless with the taller pinion is faster than 35 MPH downhill on asphalt. On the positive side, I don't care. It's still a good baseline speed to compare other runs against. And the other telemetry I find quite accurate (temp & voltage).

My $.02
    Thinking about this a little more and my theory may be out, but the Traxxas link app has a few settings in the model setup that require you to enter spur size, pinion size, tyre, etc, which I assume is the main way the app calculates the speed, and of course by the magnet in the slipper clutch that spins around the rpm sensor. If that is the case, what relevance does the motor setup have in the link app as whilst it is a more powerful motor and can do more RPMs, isn't the speed calculated by the spinning magnet, sensor, wheel size and gear setup? Another way to think about it, if you enhance your road cars engine by tuning it, as long as the gear ratios don't change, the tyres remain the same, the speed accuracy should not be impacted by the changes to the motor......