RC Enthusiast

Tires just won't turn...

Dear fellazzzzz,

I just got my mashers on desperado rims (THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFULLLLL!!)
    But when i wanted to re calibrate my servo's i stumbled upon something...

My steering endpoints are all messed up. My tires just won't turn.
    So being the detective i went to investigate.

I found out that the arm that has the 2 servo's connected to it turns,
    but it lift itself out of its "socket".

Here is a picture of the arm in a neutral pose.

Seems normal. But here is the picture with my steering wheel turned all the way.

If you look closely you can see that the arm turns, but the socket it is suppose
    to be in still stays on his place. The arm just turns itself out of its socket.

Here is how it looks from top view.

Tires neutral

Steering wheel turned all the way to the right

Steering wheel turned all the way to the right + me helping the tires out so they reach its
    real "endpoint"

Why is it doing this? I have noticed the spring on top of the arm. But it doesn't make any sense that
    its lifting itself up without turning the tires.
    Last edited by Ginjirou17; 02-11-2013 at 02:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Pictures aren't there...

Is the screw in the center of that skidplate there still? I have had it fall out once.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

RC Enthusiast
    What really? But i cn see them :'( Let me reload them then

RC Enthusiast
    How about now?

RC Qualifier
    There they are, but it sounds like that screw is not there. When you help it turn do you hear the servos stress or do anything, or do they sound the same?

Edit: check to make sure the sero saver is tight. I have mine tightened all the way, but I have metal gear servos.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

RC Enthusiast
    Wel i do hear the servo's but i don't know if that is the sound of electricity going trough it. or the servo's stressing out. But you do hear it

RC Champion
    Looks like your missing the center skid screw in picture number 2 as pointed out above in post number 2. Empty counter sink hole, no screw head.
    Stop busting my canards!

check the pivot ball cap. make sure they are not to tight on the Ball.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    check the pivot ball cap. make sure they are not to tight on the Ball.
    Nope pivot balls are pretty loose. Also could the pivot balls being to tight be able to lift that arm out of its socket?

The center screw that goes trough the skidplate in that is there. But the only thing i can think of maybe its not tightening it enough? Also i can see the arm squeezing that spring when it lifts out of its socket

Make sure both steering servos are working properly. Disconnect either one from the linkage and see if they both turn. A dead servo can cause the issue and look like the servo saver situation you describe.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Enthusiast
    I just disconnected the arm's of the servo to re-allign them with the tires so they won't work against each other.

However when i turn and release the steering wheel the arms turn back in place but the tires won't go all the way to neutral. so you can hear the servo's. I think i'll pull it all apart and re assemble it tomorrow. Even though i did this twice already

RC Enthusiast
    Oke i just ook off my mashers and what do you know. The problem disappeared. Do you think the servo's where to weak for these tires. And if so how com instead of not turning they turned the servo safer out of its socket?

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    That's what the servo saver is supposed to do, "give" if the tires can't turn, or if the tires get pushed sideways while the tires are straight, or tires get pushed straight while servo is turned. With bigger tires, it's going to have more resistance so it will compress the servo saver spring more easily.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

The "problem" may be the servo saver spring. Traxxas offers a heavy duty SSS. It is p/n 5344X.
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7809

RC Qualifier
    I'd be more inclined to believe that something is binding at the wheels. Stock servos handled 40 series Trenchers fine. The servos are doing okay it's the servo saver that is doing it's job. Something is binding.

RC Champion
    Im with the binding here. If all was fine before and its not now something is hanging up and the servo saver is doing its job.

As said, check the spring. I replaced mine a while back...my spring collapsed.
    Rock n Rolla !

The heavy duty spring is only for metal geared servos, if memory serves. I tried using it once and busted both servo gearsets. I have since upgraded to a single metal geared servo. I didn't have any issues switching to mashers on my truck, or running large offset ofna wheels and tires, even with a "weak" single servo.
    Don’t handicap children by making life easy

RC Enthusiast
    It was the pivot balls. I made them as loose as possible. And then turning it back 360 degrees both up and down on both tires. And now it acts normal. Never would have guessed that the pivot balls could be the issue

RC Champion
    Glad you got it sorted out. Pivot balls can bind easily. I usually adjust mine one at a time by leaving them both loose then tightening one down until it binds going up and down on the suspension then back it off until it moves freely with no binding then repeat on the second followed but double checking steering movement side to side. Just reminded me of the Karate Kid. Show me paint the fence, up....down, Show me side to side! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    The heavy duty spring is only for metal geared servos, if memory serves. I tried using it once and busted both servo gearsets. I have since upgraded to a single metal geared servo. I didn't have any issues switching to mashers on my truck, or running large offset ofna wheels and tires, even with a "weak" single servo.
    The heavy duty servo spring is standard on the Summit. Same servos, same steering, bigger tires.

RC Qualifier
    Pivot balls are definitely picky.
    I've found that stock pivot balls are far from round.