RC Qualifier

TQi Help Needed !!!!

Needing some help. I have an older 3.3, one that had the 27mhz radio that I'm converting over to the newer TQi technology, so I bought a new RX (#6518) and was planning on using my Summit remote since it is a 4 channel.

So I dropped it in and "linked" the two. The steering servo's worked, but the throttle and shift servo did not. Well the throttle servo worked if the 3rd channel (forward/reverse) switch was in the forward position. And when I apply the brake (push throttle forward) the brake seems to function but the "shift" servo functions at the same time.

I tried to reprogram the Opti drive but could not get it to program. I would hold down the function button until it blinked twice. Then pull the throttle all the way back and hold it but the function light would never blink three times.

It's almost like channel 2 and 3 are linked together. What do I need to do???

I hooked the old 27mhz RX & TX back up and everything works. The only issue is the 27 is spare remote I had laying around and it only a 2 channel so I donít have the reverse funtion.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC poster
    Probably not going to be much help, but to troubleshoot I would just plug in one servo at a time and see which channel on the radio it operates. In other words, maybe try using the steering servo only and plug it in the receiver channels one at a time and see which transmitter control operates it. Maybe the receiver channels are numbered different or something. Is there any mixing in the transmitter?

Go back and look at the receiver hook-ups. There are two channel 1 ports which are for steering, channel 2 for throttle and then 3 for reverse. You may want to bypass the Opti-Drive and see if the problem goes away. This is the first time I've heard of the problem and it may be as simple as servos being incorrectly placed into the receiver.
    The Super Derecho

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    Also, don't use the optidrive. Plug the servos in directly to the receiver. If it works, you need a new optidrive.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wheelman View Post
    Also, don't use the optidrive. Plug the servos in directly to the receiver. If it works, you need a new optidrive.
    I had an extra Opti Drive lying around and tried it too.......both seem to do the exact same thing. However, that doesn’t mean they both are not bad.

The only thing that I question is that all the servo's work correctly when I plug the old 27mhz back in, which leads to wonder if the Opti Drive has anything different internally for the newer TQi systems.

Both of these Opti Drive's are from older Revo's; one a 3.3 with a 27mhz system and one from a 2.5 with a 27mhz system.

Someone told me that Traxxas changed the Opti Drive for the new TQi radio system but it still looks the same and has the same part number????

There have been instances like yours where the 27mhz radios work and the 2.4ghz do not. If your TQi works when you connect the servos straight to the receiver, then it's the Opti Drive for sure. That way you test for potential radio problems to eliminate that as a possibility.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wheelman View Post
    There have been instances like yours where the 27mhz radios work and the 2.4ghz do not. If your TQi works when you connect the servos straight to the receiver, then it's the Opti Drive for sure. That way you test for potential radio problems to eliminate that as a possibility.
    Perfect! I'll give it a try and see what happens. So if the TQi works with the Opti Drive bypassed, then can I just buy a new Opti Drive and be backin business or will I have to continue to bypass it to use the the TQi?

A new OptiDrive will work. Reset your transmitter to the factory default for Revo also, before you calibrate your OptiDrive. If the channel 2 is reversed, you might have a problem with the OptiDrive not calibrating. If it still won't calibrate, call us and we'll do an endpoint re-program on the transmitter.