Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5

    just changed nihm to lipos

    so i just changed batteries on my brushless emaxx from nihm to 2s lipos, my question is, I still need to change the ESC right? I couldn't seem to find anything in the manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Zeeland Michigan
    Posts
    1,197
    Yes you need to activate the LVD . to do this you hv to hold the set button down on the esc for like 30 seconds till you her a little buzz . light should be green . Sorry about that thought had the Vilineon system . Hears the manual . http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...KC1431-R02.pdf
    Last edited by rhardy60; 02-10-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    1 Rusty VXL

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    Welcome to the forums!

    You do have to reprogram the ESC to activate Low-Voltage Cutoff for LiPos. Set it to "AUTO LIPO."

    It's a bit of a pain programming the ESC with your controller, but once you understand the process and all the beeps and whistles, it gets easier. Just follow the Castle Creations Mamba Monster manual. It's the little booklet that came with your Brushless Maxx.

    In the alternative, you can buy Castle's Field Programmer (a small device that allows you to program their ESCs anywhere), or their Castle Link (which allows you to program from your home computer).

    The drawback with these devices is that you have to unscrew the receiver cover, unplug the ESC wire and plug it into the device. Kind of a tedious exercise when you just want to drive!

    The advantage of the devices is that you can customize your Castle ESC's settings more fully than by just programming it with your transmitter.

    Castle Link requires a PC (doesn't work with Mac). The Field Programmer is hand-held.

    Whatever you decide to do, just ask for help if you're unsure about something. The guys on the forum are very knowledgeable.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
    Yes you need to activate the LVD . to do this you hv to hold the set button down on the esc for like 30 seconds till you her a little buzz . light should be green .
    This is the case with Traxxas ESCs, but not Castle...the Mamba Monster has to be programmed through the transmitter; or by using a Castle Link or Field Programmer.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Zeeland Michigan
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    This is the case with Traxxas ESCs, but not Castle...the Mamba Monster has to be programmed through the transmitter; or by using a Castle Link or Field Programmer.
    Ya I c that now so I gave the link for the manual .
    1 Rusty VXL

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5
    Thanks guys I'll give it a go!

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5
    OK so I got everything changes to lipo mode. Appreciate all of your help. One more thing, if I wanna run my nihm batteries should I change the mode again or will it be OK to leave it in lipo mode? Thanks again

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. JimmyNeutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, Michigan
    Posts
    12,290
    You can leave it, you will have a very short run time though.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by h20man42 View Post
    OK so I got everything changes to lipo mode. Appreciate all of your help. One more thing, if I wanna run my nihm batteries should I change the mode again or will it be OK to leave it in lipo mode? Thanks again
    I would change the mode again. Kind of a pain, but something tells me that once on LiPo power you won't be going back to NiMh...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    I would change the mode again. Kind of a pain, but something tells me that once on LiPo power you won't be going back to NiMh...
    Yeah it was a pain for sure, never had to concentrate so hard in my life haha. I haven't ran them yet, but today is the day and I know I won't go back but in case I need them for backups!

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by h20man42 View Post
    Yeah it was a pain for sure, never had to concentrate so hard in my life haha
    I know, right? It took me several run-throughs just to understand the process. I'm going to buy the Field Programmer just for my E-Maxx Brushless...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    I know, right? It took me several run-throughs just to understand the process. I'm going to buy the Field Programmer just for my E-Maxx Brushless...
    Yeah it looks way easier to do it by computer plus I can get more understanding with all the components and try different stuff without the
    Headache. Do you know by chance what the cost is for all the computer plugs and what not? No worries if not.

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. O.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South of St Louis
    Posts
    5,994
    The Castle field card or pc connect is about $20-$25 depending on where you buy it. They plug right into the receiver.

    Buy the castle connect so you can connect without opening up the receiver box every time you make a change. It's a fancy extension cord.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Buy the castle connect so you can connect without opening up the receiver box every time you make a change. It's a fancy extension cord.
    Good idea!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •