Thread: Servo mA rating

RC poster

Servo mA rating

I recently replaced the original traxxas 2018 servos my T maxx .15, and now I can't run a full tank of fuel without killing the batteries. I am using duracell non rechargeable batteries.

I moved the original 2055 servo to the work the forward and reverse on the transmission, and placed 2070 servos for the steering and throttle/brake. I replaces the old TQ3 radio system with the 2.4ghz system.

Does any one know how many mA the servos draw? My clamp meter doesn't work in the mA range.
    I am not sure how many mA the 2.4ghz receiver can handle, I don't want to blow it up.

I need to figure out a combination of servos and batteries that will work, if I know what the mA ratings for the servos I can find a battery that will work.

The servo's should not draw that much, check all your connection's & switch for damage &/or corrosion.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    I cheched for stripped wires and corrosion an didn't see any.

I thought I would try my clamp meter just to see if it would read anything. Wth the 2070 servos stalled I got 1.5A and 2055 got 1.0A.
    I know the servos are not stalled normaly when using the truck, but the potential is there to drain the batteries fast.

I am thinking I may need higher capacity batteries or smaller servo.

I was looking at the t maxx 3.3 exploded views I see that they have a 2070 and 2055 stock. If you have one I would be interested to know what you are using for batteries and approximate runtime.

RC Racer
    I am running a 2018/2055 on one truck, and a 2018/hitec 645mg on another. Both trucks run 1600mah rechargeable humps that last 4-5 tanks before I notice the servos starting to slow down, and still get another 3-4 tanks before recharging.
    T-maxx 2.5 | T-maxx 3.3 | T-maxx pro.15

RC Qualifier
    I have all stock servos w/ reverse and the AM radio (crystals). I have the Traxxas hump pack and I get crazy battery life. I don't drive mine much, but if I had to estimate I'd say 2 to
    3 hours of run time. I would upgrade to the hump pack and ditch the rechargeable AA's. More voltage and lasts longer, it will tell you right away if that's the problem, plus its a very good upgrade to make.

My .02 on what could be wrong is because it's winter, you could've shorted one of the servos from water. A short in one area will mess up a whole electricity system.

Yup sounds like you have a bad servo, it should not be drawing that much.

My MG 300oz in servo's don't drain the RX battery like that, time for a new one.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    I traced the problem with my batteries draining to a bad variable resistor in the transmitter. The transmitter was causing the new 2070 servo to constantly jitter at times. After fixing the transmitter I am now over 6 tanks of fuel with 4AA-2450mah rechargeable batteries and still going strong.

Thanks for the help.

RC Racer
    I know it sounds weird but from my experience with normal batteries Duracell was horrible... i now use rayovac they lasts 3times as long and you can get 16 at walmart for under $9.
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate