RC Enthusiast

New owner of a slash with a gearing question?

I bought a used slash and it is the brushed edition. I took it all apart and cleaned it up and re greased the diff and I was looking at the gearing and saw it was 18 and 83. I looked in the book and it shows that it is still in the gear but was wondering if it was a good gearing setup or not?

RC Qualifier
    I know that the brushed edition comes w/ 19/90 gearing although mine came w/ 16/90 and an optional 23/86 gearing, but I believe for the brushed edition if your off road you want to stay around the stock gear setup

RC Enthusiast
    I will be off road all the time, OK It is the only thing i have right since I do not have any extra gears. I have not run the truck yet hopefully tomorrow to see how it runs.

RC Qualifier
    well that's what I heard, you should be fine though I switched from brushed to brushless within a week so I didn't really get to learn about the brushed systems and honestly I don't care for em, save some money and pick up a brushless combo

RC Enthusiast
    I'm wanting to go brushless just waiting for the funds. I have a newborn little guy so I have to take care of him first lol

RC Qualifier
    yea man I know what you mean I have a 10 month old son, but if you have the xl5 titan setup ask your LHS about the traxxas power up, trade your titan xl5 brushed system in and pick up the vxl system for 130$

RC Enthusiast
    Dang I never knew that, Sounds like a sweet deal thanks for the info and your time to answer my question.

RC Qualifier
    no worries I gotta lot of help when I started which was only a month ago and I'm still learning so just trying to return the favor, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as the power up deal sometimes they'll be lame about it and won't do it but I heard if your in the store you just call traxxas and ask in front of them, but if you stay on this forum and read other threads you'll learn a lot

RC Enthusiast
    OK thanks again and I have been learning a lot on here already.

RC Qualifier
    no problem, enjoy the hobby

I should start a sight offering to by the xl-5 and titan's for the price difference.you save 40 bucks doing the trade up,and the xl-5 alone is near 60 bucks,and has all kind of uses.
    Like water proof for mud trucks running brushed motor's,witch is what 99% of rc mud trucks run.
    I mean you break the titian in ,in a class of water! What better combo for a mud truck.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I could get a brand new titan 12t 550/xl5 combo for 56.99 and w/ more looking and patience you could find em cheaper than that, I understand what your saying though but that's your opinion seeing that you would have more needs for it, I really don't care for brushed motors I rarely go through mud and water w/ my vxl system but I've done it a few times and like I said before, my vxl system has been submerged in my pool for about 5-10 sec. 3ft under before I got it out and it was working fine haven't had any problems
    Last edited by XRated; 02-11-2013 at 11:28 AM.

There are brushed motors out there ,that will pull on the velineon.
    Harry697 has one.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I believe it, but I like the maintenance free of the brushless, but I only have a lot more to learn