Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Savox is my guess.
    Wrong color wires.
    Someone stole my signature.

RC Racer

I figured that it may be on the short side when comparing specs, but it was a perfect fit. Just had to grab one more flat head screw.

RC Racer
    When using the CC BEC, you need to disconnect the power wire from the ESC to the receiver:

However, to use the Field Link and Castle Link programming options, the ESC harness needs to have the red wire intact:

I picked up a 3in servo extension to bridge the gap. The middle/power wire was removed, while the remaining wires were fastened together with CA. Amazingly, the CA remained flexible, allowing me to route the wire at my discretion. Top – ESC wire. Middle – 3 inch extension. Bottom – Middle wire removed:

Leaving the connection between the ESC harness and the modified servo extension outside of the receiver box will allow me to easily connect the programmer at will:

That is one super pede dude and only the best for you .....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Top notch build. Love it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    That is one super pede dude and only the best for you .....peace
    Quote Originally Posted by case182 View Post
    Top notch build. Love it.
    Thanx. Finished up the soldering tonight. Still have to paint the body though.

RC Qualifier
    Haha nice! Can't see me putting my CC BEC and $90 Hitec servo in something I bash to death. Think I'll keep it in me crawler.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    Haha nice! Can't see me putting my CC BEC and $90 Hitec servo in something I bash to death. Think I'll keep it in me crawler.
    Groovy. My next project will be a dual ESC crawler, hence the four channel transmitter. Or maybe a boat... or a 1/5 gas buggy... Either way, I'll go full kit on the next build.

RC Qualifier
    Crawlers are fun...but in a completely different way from the Stampede. I do like the slow intricacy of trying to get up and over obstacles. Also you don't need a mass of space. A boat could be fun!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    Crawlers are fun...but in a completely different way from the Stampede. I do like the slow intricacy of trying to get up and over obstacles. Also you don't need a mass of space. A boat could be fun!
    Yes, I was thinking of a boat as well for my next rc. Not now, but sometime late this year I might be getting a boat.

This one perhaps? http://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/5707Lspartan

Saw videos of that boat on youtube. Really fast!

doubletapdaddy ,
    I really love how your project is coming along nicely...
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-27-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Language

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    Yes, I was thinking of a boat as well for my next rc. Not now, but sometime late this year I might be getting a boat.

This one perhaps? http://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/5707Lspartan

Saw videos of that boat on youtube. Really fast!

doubletapdaddy ,
    I really love how your project is coming along nicely...
    Thanx. Although I live in Florida, where the tallest things to climb are speed bumps and parking blocks, crawlers really fascinate me. However... I do live on the water, so a boat will be in my stable sooner or later. You know, I probably should complete this one first.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-27-2013 at 12:35 PM.

I wish traxxas would make a crawlers it would make the line up even better.So is it just painting the body and your ready to rock dude???......peace

RC Racer
    I need to paint the body, shore up another rear mounting post (to put on the front), and mount my other set of tires. I drove it in the house last night... HOLY SMOKES I have it geared really low so that I can easily navigate my home without punching holes in the walls. Need to get caught up on pics, but work and a 6 y/o with tennis and guitar lessons keep me pretty busy.
    Last edited by doubletapdaddy; 02-28-2013 at 06:22 AM.

RC Racer
    Securing the CC SCT ESC -

I wanted to maintain the stock ESC support, so as to provide a wall to wedge a mounting base and decrease potential movement:

I obsessed on finding a non-porous material (i.e. non-wooden) to fabricate my base. Shopped around local home improvement store and found a $2.00 contractor's protractor that, when coupled with heavy duty Velcro on both sides, would be the exact thickness/height as the stock ESC support. I was actually walking around the store with Velcro samples and my caliper/micrometer. Cut a small slab to fit (pictured with Velcro on one side):

Cut a channel on the underside to route wire of the ESC power switch:

Bevel added to front side to provide clearance for beveled area next to rear servo screws (seen in first pic above):

Pefrect fit:

Velcro applied to ESC. Note section of material removed to clear rear servo screw-heads:

Clean install (for me at least). Also soldered up male Traxxas connector, installed BEC, routed wires:
    Last edited by doubletapdaddy; 02-28-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: fix wrong pic

That looks so clean and professional man saying that when i get head in gear i will take some snaps of my pede so you can see what i did on minekeep up the awesome work......peace

RC Racer
    Awesome build!! Amazing detail work!

RC Racer
    It's funny. My truck is so clean, but my kitchen is a disaster following ESC installation.

Table:

Countertop:

BTW, the Dremel accesory kit was not $130. It says "$130 Value". It was actually $9.99. Ridiculous advertising gimmic.

RC Racer
    Oh yeah, before anyone with a wicked imagination comments on the jar containing stained wax paper rolls... I have never been to Amsterdam. It is actually wrapped vanilla pods. I concoct my own vanilla extract.

RC Champion
    Hahahaa, why would you imply Amsterdam
    Everything overpowered...

RC Qualifier
    Nice build dude! I colored my bec with a black sharpie. Came out nice and shiny. Lovin your p4de. Man it's so hard to bash something that you have fallen in love with. It was for me lol

Sent from Oser world

RC Qualifier
    I ALMOST bought that cordless dremel. How's the battery life and power? That's the only thing that stopped me from buying one on the spot as I haven't done my research on one.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede Pede View Post
    I ALMOST bought that cordless dremel. How's the battery life and power? That's the only thing that stopped me from buying one on the spot as I haven't done my research on one.
    My first rotary was a corded craftsman that burnt out in about 2 yrs (came in the red case behind the cordless Dremel in the pic). I bought this Dremel (8000 10.8V) about 3 yrs ago. I have never used up a full charge during a project. Love it. It has been superseded at least twice already, the 8200 12V and the 8220 12VMAX.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty don View Post
    Nice build dude! I colored my bec with a black sharpie. Came out nice and shiny. Lovin your p4de. Man it's so hard to bash something that you have fallen in love with. It was for me lol
    I know. Maybe I'll build a giant hamster ball to drive it in.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    My first rotary was a corded craftsman that burnt out in about 2 yrs (came in the red case behind the cordless Dremel in the pic). I bought this Dremel (8000 10.8V) about 3 yrs ago. I have never used up a full charge during a project. Love it. It has been superseded at least twice already, the 8200 12V and the 8220 12VMAX.
    Good to hear, will look into the 8220 model becuase of course I have to have the better one. Thanks!
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Qualifier
    Is that the dremel 8200?

Man, your project is coming along VERY nicely. Can't wait to see the final product!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    Is that the dremel 8200?

Man, your project is coming along VERY nicely. Can't wait to see the final product!
    It's the older 8000 model.

RC Racer
    My wife thought that my Outerwears shroud was a pair of ladie's undergarments when she saw it on the table. It is attractive once installed:

I have never seen such a fine mesh... almost looks non-porous, yet completely breathable.

RC Racer
    Definatley need one of those shrouds! Looks great! Do you have a part number?

RC Racer
    Sorry, no part number on hand. Just Google their website.

RC Qualifier
    Quick question about the BEC. I understand that it cuts down the battery voltage to run the receiver and servo at the proper voltage. Doesn't the ESC do that normally or is a BEC required when more than 7.4 volts are run?

Quote Originally Posted by Hwdriver View Post
    Quick question about the BEC. I understand that it cuts down the battery voltage to run the receiver and servo at the proper voltage. Doesn't the ESC do that normally or is a BEC required when more than 7.4 volts are run?
    A BEC delivers the voltage you need to feed the receiver and the devices which are connected to it. Some have an adjustable voltage. Most ESCs have a BEC on board. In the case of the MMP, the internal BEC is not the strongest, so an external BEC helps to do the job of feeding the servo and receiver without the ESC having to work for it.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    So will running the internal BEC wear out the ESC faster than if you don't. Is there a higher chance that the ESC will fail and the truck will run out of control or some other disaster?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwdriver View Post
    So will running the internal BEC wear out the ESC faster than if you don't. Is there a higher chance that the ESC will fail and the truck will run out of control or some other disaster?
    No, esc will not work any harder. Internal bec is simply dropping the voltage/amps down. As far as disaster go, just be smart in terms of the environment you run your truck in and you'll be fine.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Qualifier
    doubletapdaddy,

Any updates on your build? I really like how you pay atention to detail. Your pede has been an inspiration for a lot of us here. Keep it up man!

I'm looking into motors now. Either the tenshock SC401 V2 3400kv, or Castle 2400kv. I want the blue one found on the traxxas dragster r/c. Why the blue one? To match my blue parts and paint scheme of course... Lol! Hahaha.

Anyways, have you decided on a body/lid on your pede? I can't wait to see what you do on yours.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 03-09-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Corrected typos. Added more stuff.
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Racer
    Funny you should ask...
    Trimmed out a P-L 1972 C10 yesterday. Honestly, although I had never previously trimmed out an RC body, using curved scissors sounded like a time consuming pain in the neck. The majority of the job was performed with a score and tear technique. The venerable X-ACTO #11 blade was employed to settle the score, while 220 and 400 grit papers were used to clean up some edges.

RC Racer
    Today:

Remember, this is my first paint job. Although the rest of my build was spendy, this required patience and time. If I can achieve these results, (nearly) anyone can.

RC Qualifier
    Wow! Very clean man!
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 03-09-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Double post...

RC Qualifier
    Funny you should ask...
    Trimmed out a P-L 1972 C10 yesterday. Honestly, although I had never previously trimmed out an RC body, using curved scissors sounded like a time consuming pain in the neck. The majority of the job was performed with a score and tear technique. The venerable X-ACTO #11 blade was employed to settle the score, while 220 and 400 grit papers were used to clean up some edges.
    That was the hardest part for me too, which is cutting/shaping the fenders out. I used dubro scissors on mine. Worked out fine in the end with time and patience. No sandpaper on my part.

Today:
    ^^^My favorite pic!^^^

Very nice color combo man. Like the '72 chevy c10 truks I see on the road.

Btw, I realized that I have the same signiture as yours (Except for the "3000 posts here we go!"). I actually messaged a moderator since I cannot see the option where I can post an avatar. He said that I should have 3000 posts for the option to be activated, which will then be available for me to post an avatar. My apologies if I stole your signiture.

RC Racer
    As it happens, I prefer my new sig to my old.

RC Qualifier
    As it happens, I prefer my new sig to my old.
    Do as you please man.

No offence taken.