RC Racer

To 3s or not to 3s? That is the question.

Getting cooling in place to run 3S.

Got the heatsink for the motor. What a pain in the neck. The wires were not quite long enough to reach the reciever box. Had to solder 2 wires together and make my own extention using a wire harness from some PC wires. Sorry no pics. Was in think mode and did not think to take pics.

As you can see, I routed the fan wires where the motor wires used to be....

Then Drilled a couple of holes in the chassis.....

Wallah!!! Motor wires are rerouted and in place for when the ESC fan gets here, hopefully Tuesday.

Anyways, on to my question. I am going to have 3 fans running on this thing when it is all said and done....

Should I get a 3s and run fast or just a bigger 2s?

I am thinking getting a bigg 2s will be the best bet. What do you guys think? Also, how does my cable routing look?
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 05-26-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Language

RC Champion
    Just get the 3S. You know if you get a 2S, you'll always be wondering what the 3S would be like.

RC Qualifier
    All I could say is once you go 3S, you will never look back.
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Qualifier
    3s= more broken parts IMO. Unless your doing speed runs on smooth surfaces, 2s is plenty. Plus with 3s you need to stop bashing to let the motor and esc cool down, even with fans running on them. Keep checking your temps. You dont want to cook those. I keep my 3s in storage, and never use it for backyard bashing. Just have both. Then you got the best of both worlds. If you dont like the 3,s sell it.

RC Qualifier
    After running 3s, I don't like 2s. Lol.

RC Racer
    Get 3s for sure I went from the nimh to 3s with minimal durability issues and I beat the heck out of my pede's. See here at my videos- http://youtu.be/gXHmtq9d_Fk
    After running 6s on my other cars now I cant imagine the pede on anything less than a 3s!

RC Racer
    Huh, after reading all the downsides to 3s, there sure seem to be a lot of people running them. Sounds like I might be selling my 2s and get a 3s...

RC Qualifier
    Just because you run on 3s doesnt mean you have to drive any crazier or faster if you dont want to. Its just nice to have the extra power/speed in case you want it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    I went 3s right off the bat. Annnnnnnnd, I broke parts "Right off the bat" too. Drive shafts were the first to go. Burned up my VXL-3s Esc and motor also... I not have a castle Creation setup. Hopefully this will hold up better. But yeah, you go 3s you will be spending more money in parts... but it's [a lot of] fun!

Please watch your use of descriptive modifiers.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-28-2013 at 12:09 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Just get the 3S. You know if you get a 2S, you'll always be wondering what the 3S would be like.
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    All I could say is once you go 3S, you will never look back.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrsilv15 View Post
    After running 3s, I don't like 2s. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcapilli View Post
    I went 3s right off the bat. Annnnnnnnd, I broke parts "Right off the bat" too. Drive shafts were the first to go. Burned up my VXL-3s Esc and motor also... I not have a castle Creation setup. Hopefully this will hold up better. But yeah, you go 3s you will be spending more money in parts... but it's [a lot of] fun!

Please watch your use of descriptive modifiers.
    -ksb51rl
    What size pinion should I use?

RC Enthusiast
    I have 2 and 3s and I prefer the 3s personally. Only problem really is the heat issues with 3s. I went down to a 9 tooth pinion and it is still plenty fast on 3s. 2s is kind of boring on a 9 tooth, but it has good torque and it is good for just kind of driving around and slower bashing.

RC Qualifier
    I run 3s on my Pede also. I havent had any heat issues without fans or a heatsink. Im running the same Mashers as you are. The only problem I have is the stock drive shafts snap like crazy on 3s power.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

My pede ran on 3s for over a year geared 11-13t but I had the vxl esc fan and one on the motor and vent holes in the body for extra cooling but needed mips all round aluminium bearing adaptor and aluminium hexesIt ran fine for 12 months+ and then it melted just keep an eye on temps......peace...ps 3s are addictive
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    Anyone know what the stock pinion is?

Looks like I should run between 9 and 13 tooth if I am going to do 3s?

RC Qualifier
    Stock pinion is an 11 tooth. I ran with 11 tooth in my slash 4x4 3s 2.8 trenchers. Eventually burned up the motor. If I wasn't so hard on it, the motor would have lasted longer. I vote for the 3s. I put my stock battery (7cell nimh) in for a quick run, and was tired of it in 30 seconds. You can always drive with the 3s slower, but you know you won't!! Definitely look at upgrading your motor mount to something like the kingzhead. Also get an aluminum bearing adapter and upgraded driveshafts like MIP or Tekno. Everything else, just replace as needed.

+1 once you have done the drivetrain you should be good for 3s but do not forget the cooling and just watch your temps as well......peace

RC poster
    put that traxxas motor and esc on ebay and buy a proper setup. mmp / 2400kv on 3s with the correct drivetrain will make you grin from ear to ear every time. NO WAY would i run any traxxas esc or motor on 3S and expect it to survive unless i geared it so pathetically that it was a slug. i sold my traxxas stuff and got proper gear for @ a $30 expense plus batteries and tekno shafts. i can't kill it and it is absolutely nuts to drive!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by briandee View Post
    Stock pinion is an 11 tooth. I ran with 11 tooth in my slash 4x4 3s 2.8 trenchers. Eventually burned up the motor. If I wasn't so hard on it, the motor would have lasted longer. I vote for the 3s. I put my stock battery (7cell nimh) in for a quick run, and was tired of it in 30 seconds. You can always drive with the 3s slower, but you know you won't!! Definitely look at upgrading your motor mount to something like the kingzhead. Also get an aluminum bearing adapter and upgraded driveshafts like MIP or Tekno. Everything else, just replace as needed.
    I have the Hot Racing aluminum motor mount,just have to install, and the aluminum bearing adapter. Also, dual fan cooling on motor and the ESC fan got here today. Guess I will replace the drive shafts as they break.

Now to sell my 2s batt and a titan motor or 2 to cover the 3s battery........

Sounds like you are on your way to run 3s dude.And best of luck and keep us informed on what you think of the crazy world of 3s........peace

RC Racer
    Okay, So I got a 3S battery.

1. Runs for about 2 minutes and then shuts down the ESC. I did tighten the slipper while I had the rear end apart. Could that be the reason? Able to touch the esc and motor. Not very hot at all.

2. Broke a front drive shaft...... Figures

3. Tore up my body at the mounting holes. Anyone know a good way to repair this?

My thoughts on 3s....... Too fast for what I want to do. If I was going to set a land speed record, maybe it is good. For bashing, not so good. But now I know.

So, I need front drive shafts and I have a brand new 3s battery sitting around. Maybe my LHS will trade me straight up for a 2 sell and some drive shafts.

Also, any one know a better way to adjust the slipper clutch with out pulling off the rear end?

RC poster
    i have a traxxas battery that came with my stampede (2S 4000mah) that has 4 cycles thru it and i'm strictly 3S now so let me know if you're interested in a trade as it's no use to me. it's always balance charged and has been in storage mode in the freezer for @ 3 weeks. i have two stock axles i can send you as well.

3S is awesome if you run the right motor / esc combo and the supporting mods (driveshafts, motor mount, etc) but it gets expensive fast!

i used gel super glue to glue the white body washers to the underside of my torn body holes. works pretty good.

hit me up if you're interested. simonroots1973@gmail.com

RC Qualifier
    remove the clear cover then put the wrench where the bolt is and I believe is drive it backwards or forwards will make it lose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EO0poIEHA

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jtalaue View Post
    remove the clear cover then put the wrench where the bolt is and I believe is drive it backwards or forwards will make it lose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EO0poIEHA
    So, do you think the slipper is the problem with the esc?

RC poster
    1/4-1/2 turn out from tight should be fine. did you tighten it all the way down?

like i said in post #17, the stock motor, ESC and shafts are just not up to the task of 3S. my stock ESC caught on fire after a few minutes of non-aggressive run time on a cool day and my motor was toast as well. Traxxas replaced everything under warranty but no way would i try 3S again on stock electronics.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by srootster View Post
    1/4-1/2 turn out from tight should be fine. did you tighten it all the way down?

like i said in post #17, the stock motor, ESC and shafts are just not up to the task of 3S. my stock ESC caught on fire after a few minutes of non-aggressive run time on a cool day and my motor was toast as well. Traxxas replaced everything under warranty but no way would i try 3S again on stock electronics.
    Agreed, had to try though. Just sent you a barrage of emails. Lol.

As far as the slipper, I guess I did not back it out enough.....

RC poster
    yeah, i had to try too and almost burned my house down in the process. i was a bit upset but my wife about threw me out! lol

emailed back

RC poster
    i run mine at 3/8 out and find it easiest just to remove the back half of the truck. it's only 4 screws. it may be because i have fingers like sausages too and cannot adjust it the youtube way.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by srootster View Post
    i run mine at 3/8 out and find it easiest just to remove the back half of the truck. it's only 4 screws. it may be because i have fingers like sausages too and cannot adjust it the youtube way.
    I too have giant sausage fingers, but man it is horrible to line up the rear bearing to the shaft. I am def going to try the you tube way. I think 2s batts are perfect for what I want to do. Plenty of power and very little of the heat that the NiMh puts out.

RC Racer
    Just so everyone knows.... Snapping the drive shaft was no surprise at all.

RC Qualifier
    See, Alot of stuff breaks when you go faster! Thats the down side. It really depends on your driving style, the size of your favorite bashing grounds and conditions of the ground. If your in a wide open field, sure 3s is super fun. But, if your in a small backyard with lots of trees and obstacles , theres not enough room to fully enjoy 3s. I tried running the 3s, not going all out (which is hard to resist) and had the esc shut down on thermal overload. I really believe that the stock motor and esc cant disperse the heat associated with 3s power. (I run the traxxas fan for esc and ezrun mega fan for motor, with a 10 pinion and stock spur and trenchers). If I run 2s, I can go all out and not have to worry about heat and smashing into something going too fast. I usually bash in my backyard. I can only afford to slowly upgrade my p4de, but once I beef it up with more hop ups and hone my driving skill, 3s will be be alot more fun.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
    See, Alot of stuff breaks when you go faster! Thats the down side. It really depends on your driving style, the size of your favorite bashing grounds and conditions of the ground. If your in a wide open field, sure 3s is super fun. But, if your in a small backyard with lots of trees and obstacles , theres not enough room to fully enjoy 3s. I tried running the 3s, not going all out (which is hard to resist) and had the esc shut down on thermal overload. I really believe that the stock motor and esc cant disperse the heat associated with 3s power. (I run the traxxas fan for esc and ezrun mega fan for motor, with a 10 pinion and stock spur and trenchers). If I run 2s, I can go all out and not have to worry about heat and smashing into something going too fast. I usually bash in my backyard. I can only afford to slowly upgrade my p4de, but once I beef it up with more hop ups and hone my driving skill, 3s will be be alot more fun.
    That is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I have fans on both motor and exc. It seemed to shut down when I was going slower. Although, the esc did not seem too hot. I think 2s is the best route with a higher c rating.

RC Qualifier
    check out spcracing.com They currently have a 40c, 50c and 65c 2s's in stock. Great batteries, great prices

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
    check out spcracing.com They currently have a 40c, 50c and 65c 2s's in stock. Great batteries, great prices
    That is what I am going to get. Looking at the 40C hard case one.... I think.

RC poster
    check these out too:

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ory&path=67_97

i've had great luck with them and they are PUNCHY!

RC poster

Motor

For cost I run a pair of 2S 3500-4000 Lipos in my Slash 4x4. You can then but the less expensive 30C batteries and have 60C performance running them in parallel. Speed is also about how deep your power well is(ie how many mah's) as this will greatly effect your voltage curve and how fast it drops off under load. You can do the same with 3S but with the right gearing I can do the same speeds for less money on 2S.
    I also have upgraded to Castle 4010 3600kv motor and 120amp ESC. The stock does not last long running 3S.
    Last edited by BamBam847; 06-03-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add info

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BamBam847 View Post
    For cost I run a pair of 2S 3500-4000 Lipos in my Slash 4x4. You can then but the less expensive 30C batteries and have 60C performance running them in parallel. Speed is also about how deep your power well is(ie how many mah's) as this will greatly effect your voltage curve and how fast it drops off under load. You can do the same with 3S but with the right gearing I can do the same speeds for less money on 2S.
    I also have upgraded to Castle 4010 3600kv motor and 120amp ESC. The stock does not last long running 3S.
    How would I run the batteries in parellel? Splice the wires together? Also, If I combined 2 x 4000mah would that give me 8000 mah or just double the power and still be around 4000 mah?