RC poster

Dewalt question?

Looking to replace my motor, a lot of deep water adventures and it won't work, what is a dealt conversion? Is it a direct bolt on, and were do I get one and what else will be needed?

RC Champion
    Kershaw designs will be the easy option, Or doing everything yourself, not difficult if you have everything, silicone wire I used 10 awg, new bullets castle creations 6.5mm, fabricate a motor mount.
    Last edited by trax de max; 02-10-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    One of several good threads on the Dewalt install... Hope this helps

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Dewalt+install
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC poster
    Thanks guys!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I didnt use any spacers or anything between the motor and the motor mount. I just use the traxxas pinion and it worked fine. Overall, a 7 on the difficulty scale IMO. You do need tools though. Something to cut the stock pinion off the motor when you get it. You need to have the tools and be able to solder (and fairly well in this case). And you need to open up the holes on the stock motor mount... I just used a drill.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Just be sure when you get it that you use lipos! People have complained for years that the dewalt isn't impressive when they install it because they are using nimhs!

I remember reading someone saying they didn't want lipos because they were too light and inhibited crawling capability, and suggested adding weight would just kill the batteries faster. Remember with dewalts, it's about their quality and endurance not so much about their speed at all.

So be sure to get lipos so that you can run it to it's potential, and get good run times!

RC Racer
    I have a question. just ordered my summit yesterday. what size bullet connectors will match the stock esc?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    Kershaw designs will be the easy option, Or doing everything yourself, not difficult if you have everything, silicone wire I used 10 awg, new bullets castle creations 6.5mm, fabricate a motor mount.
    What trax said. Your going to need to solder new connections. 6.5mm bullets are the way to go!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    wow!!!!

I so dont remember reading that

RC Qualifier
    Installing a dewalt is not all that hard or should say was not for me.
    Big thing is you will need a good soldering iron with good solder. Not the solder you buy at Walmart or some automotive store either. Go to a electronics store and get a high silver content solder, it flows easier.
    The 6.5mm bullet connectors are a good idea as they make a good solid connection not like the connectors that come on the truck IMO. Castle makes a great set and can be had at Towerhobbies, here is the link for you also.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTJJ0&P=ML
    With a hand drill you can enlarge the holes on the Traxxas motor mount to match the dewlat's, just be careful and make sure you align it with the threaded holes. More than one set of holes on the end of the motor. After that is done you can put the motor back in the truck and how the spur gear mates to the Pinion gear, will determine if you have to shim or build a spacer. Ideally you want the pinon gear centered in the spur gear.
    Almost forgot that if you buy the motor without some one else setting it up for you would help to have a Dremel drill or something like it with a cut off wheel to get the pinion gear off that it will come with.
    Take your time and be careful and double check your work and you should be fine.
    If you get stuck just ask your question on here. Also no need to start a new thread just keep using this one. Then when you are done post pics of your install. Have fun
    Hope this helps and does not confuse, link given in post #3 is a excellent reference.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 02-13-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Racer
    so 6.5mm bullet connectors are stock? my spartan only has 5.5 and I have some extra.

also I see that the esc has 4 wires. 2 red 2 black. i'm guessing that I solder 2 wires in i connector?
    Last edited by jpierce81; 02-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jpierce81 View Post
    so 6.5mm bullet connectors are stock? my spartan only has 5.5 and I have some extra.

also I see that the esc has 4 wires. 2 red 2 black. i'm guessing that I solder 2 wires in i connector?
    Oops forgot about that little detail; Yes both positive leads from the ESC into one bullet connector and both negative leads from the ESC into another bullet connection. To keep from ever crossing them in the future you can put a female side of the bullet connection on one set of leads and the male half on the other set of leads from the ESC. Just a suggestion tho.
    You can use any bullet connector you wish, its just the ones that are being suggested are heavy duty and will not deform during the soldering process. Also wire from 14ga threw 10ga can be use. Myself I used Tekin 14ga wire.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Racer
    So can I cut the wires to get the connectors off of do I need to unsolder the connectors and leave the wires full length?