RC Qualifier

Best pinion/spur setup for 2s...

I currently run my 4x4 pede with the stock 11/54 pinion/spur setup on 2s. Curious on how the other pinions are like so I decided to try the 9-tooth pinion with 54 spur setup. Did not like that at all. Acceleration was quick, but top speed was meh. Too slow for my taste. Next, I tried optional 17-tooth pinion with the 54 spur setup. All I could say is wow! Pretty fast. I was hitting around 40+ mph on asphalt. Decided to run the 17/54 setup on loose gravel. I know traxxas recommends to run the 17/54 setup on hard surfaces only but I just decided to see how it was like on loose gravel. Anyways, I saw a trail of dust whenever I punched the throttle and the pede's speed on loose gravel became very addicting on the 17/54 setup. The only problem is that the velineon motor got hot rather quickly. I had to take 2 separate breaks in order cool the motor down. Anyways, after running on the 17/54 setup, I didn't really want to go back to the 11/54 setup any longer. Bashing became more exciting and faster with the 17/54 setup.

With that said, is there any pinion out there that's pretty fast to use on pavement as well as lose dirt on 2s that won't cause the velineon motor to get so hot? I was thinking of a 15/54 setup. Anybody has this setup? Is it ideal to run this setup or will it cause problems down the line? Btw, I am running a traxxas esc fan and a dual motor fan to keep things cool.

Let me know guys. Thanks in advance!

RC Champion
    just split the difference between the high gear and low gear; I'm sure there's a 15t pinion out there for that motor like you said...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    I think traxxas hit it right as far as speed and dependability with the 11/54 on 2s. If you want more speed I'd recommend getting a 3s. Considering the price of a new motor you may want to reconsider running too big a pinion, I speak from experience since I tried the same thing and ended up COOKING my motor. JMO.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

I would say the 13t pinion is a good mix of acceleration and top speed thats what i did when running 2s with my old vxl sytem.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I would say the 13t pinion is a good mix of acceleration and top speed thats what i did when running 2s with my old vxl sytem.....peace
    I really wanted run the highest pinion as much as possbile to get the most out of the velineon motor without burning it... 14t maybe?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    just split the difference between the high gear and low gear; I'm sure there's a 15t pinion out there for that motor like you said...
    I run 13/54 with 2S/3S, but you'll need cooling fans if you run hard off road or you'll fry the motor. I tried the dual Integy fans which dropped temps about 15 degrees, but the single large ******* fan w/big heat sink drops them 30 degrees.
    That's what I run now and love it. 3S 5000Mah hard run only got up to 115 today.