RC Enthusiast

Suggestions for new tires

So I got my new stampede vxl 4x4 and I'm not impressd with the tires that comes on it.. just wants to do doughnuts when i turn...any suggestions

RC Champion
    Proline Badlands are pretty popular

RC Enthusiast
    are they pretty good on pavement?

RC Enthusiast
    I use the trenchers they are pretty good

RC Qualifier
    Mashers 2k, they have them in 2.2 and now a 2.8 version, good bashers and last long on pavement
    See pic in my thread.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.....Can-be-done!
    Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4 Monster Mutt

RC Qualifier
    You just cannot put any tire you want on a traxxas wheel. Traxxas is really strict on that since they only want traxxas tires on their wheels. Putting an afetrmarket brand tire on a traxxas wheel wil not work. Jang from URC also mentions this in one of his tire choices videos on youtube.

I am also looking into getting a new tire/wheel set for my pede. Here are my choices:
    -->Proline trenchers on desperado wheels
    -->Proline badlands on desperado wheels
    -->Proline mashers on desperado wheels
    -->Proline trenchers on torque (new version of proline wabash wheels)
    -->Jconcepts subcultures on rulux wheels
    -->Jconcepts g-locs on rulux wheels (For asphalt, hard surface use)

I still can't make up my mind since all of those are really good setups. It just a matter of how it looks now...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    You just cannot put any tire you want on a traxxas wheel. Traxxas is really strict on that since they only want traxxas tires on their wheels. Putting an afetrmarket brand tire on a traxxas wheel wil not work. Jang from URC also mentions this in one of his tire choices videos on youtube.

I am also looking into getting a new tire/wheel set for my pede. Here are my choices:
    -->Proline trenchers on desperado wheels
    -->Proline badlands on desperado wheels
    -->Proline mashers on desperado wheels
    -->Proline trenchers on torque (new version of proline wabash wheels)
    -->Jconcepts subcultures on rulux wheels
    -->Jconcepts g-locs on rulux wheels (For asphalt, hard surface use)

I still can't make up my mind since all of those are really good setups. It just a matter of how it looks now...

yeah, i already knew that... was looking at new wheels also... just might have to check out the mashers since i had them on my old stampede yrs ago

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    You just cannot put any tire you want on a traxxas wheel. Traxxas is really strict on that since they only want traxxas tires on their wheels. Putting an afetrmarket brand tire on a traxxas wheel wil not work
    that's not totally correct, there are some tires with traxxas bead style that will fit on traxxas rims.

RC Enthusiast
    i was just looking at the trenchers and those rims

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesmkk View Post
    i was just looking at the trenchers and those rims
    2.8 dirthawg will fit too, not exactly the monster truck look, but it is an option.

How about this.

Last edited by RC-Fan; 02-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    that's not totally correct, there are some tires with traxxas bead style that will fit on traxxas rims.
    Thanks for letting me know man. I really thought traxxas made their wheels in such a way that only traxxas tires will fit on them. Hmm, Jang from URC must have posted that video a long time ago...

RC Qualifier
    I went to 17mm hexes, and the most bulletproof high traction combo and with good handling that I've found is putting 2.8 Trenchers on 3.2 Revolver wheels. Stock offset front (for best steering), Stablemax offset on rear (for higher rollover resistance - widens rear track 1/2" per side.
    This is by far the strongest wheel, as Desperados and Traxxas wheels crack and get out of round under the tough conditions I run every day.
    You must snip (body scissors works well for this) out the horizontal part of the tire bead as these are not that type (Traxxas bead) then you can stretch them on, let everything settle out for a while, then check and glue em up.
    You wind up with a 5.0" OD tire with a low profile look that digs out hard and handles great. Just got to do a little work to get it though. Well worth it, after ruining several other sets of wheel in short order and tires that wouldn't grab under differing conditions. The Revolvers are still in one piece after months of running, but the tires (an off brand, not PL) are about at the end of their life now and shredding.

The proline mashers look good and i bet they grip super well.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I went to 17mm hexes, and the most bulletproof high traction combo and with good handling that I've found is putting 2.8 Trenchers on 3.2 Revolver wheels. Stock offset front (for best steering), Stablemax offset on rear (for higher rollover resistance - widens rear track 1/2" per side.
    That's the exact wheel and tire setup that I am going for, which is strong along with a high traction and good handling combo.

Any pics of that setup you have Rob?

Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    This is by far the strongest wheel, as Desperados and Traxxas wheels crack and get out of round under the tough conditions I run every day.
    You must snip (body scissors works well for this) out the horizontal part of the tire bead as these are not that type (Traxxas bead) then you can stretch them on, let everything settle out for a while, then check and glue em up.
    You wind up with a 5.0" OD tire with a low profile look that digs out hard and handles great.
    I really want to do this setup but didn't follow you when you said to snip out the horizontal part of the tire bead. What do you mean by that?

I'll get the revolver wheels in the next week or so.