RC Racer

Loud Clicking In Rear End

All of sudden today the rear end of our rustler starting making this terrible ticking noise. I have completely tore this thing apart. The last 4 hours I have taken the tranny down to bear bones and inspected everything, cleaned and re greased it. Put it all back together and the ticking is still there. I have read over and over its dirt in the spur, I have cleaned it and everything else like crazy. Also it is very wobbly in the rear end now. It seemed a lot smoother before. There is nothing broke that I can see..Im about to go nuts. Any Ideas?
    Here is a short clip of what it is doing.
    Sponsored by Sugar Mamma Racing aka The Wife O.o

RC Enthusiast
    Wow, good timing. My rusty is doing the same thing except you have more power to the wheels than me. Mine sounds the same but the drive shafts to the wheels barely spin.

This is after I just installed the RPM gearbox. it was perfect before the install

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasthedj View Post
    Wow, good timing. My rusty is doing the same thing except you have more power to the wheels than me. Mine sounds the same but the drive shafts to the wheels barely spin.

This is after I just installed the RPM gearbox. it was perfect before the install
    Mine drives fine..goes like a bat out of **** but that ticking noise is loud and new..it never done this before. I cant tell if the spur gear has worn a flat spot or what...

RC Enthusiast
    Mines def not a spur/pinion issue, its in my gearbox

RC Champion
    Check for a peace of sand in the pinion gear or spur gear you might hv to use a looking glass to find it or it could be a flat spot on the spur gear .
    Last edited by rhardy60; 02-09-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Enthusiast
    frustrating

RC Champion
    Mines def not a spur/pinion issue, its in my gearbox
    frustrating
    If you know where its at then fix it ,
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
    Check for a peace of sand in the pinion gear or spur gear you might hv to use a looking glass to find it or it could be a flat spot on the spur gear .

I busted out my reading glasses and a spot light...went through every tooth again. Still ticking...I took the wheels and drive shafts out of the equation and set the throtle trim on slow and it almost looks like a very tiny wobble in the spur. I may be seeing things at this point though. I'll just order a new spur gear and pinion gear unless anyone else has any suggestions.

It looks like your wheel bearings are bad, or the tire has water in it throwing it out of balance... have you checked them?

And maybe the gear mesh is way too tight.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    It looks like your wheel bearings are bad, or the tire has water in it throwing it out of balance... have you checked them?

And maybe the gear mesh is way too tight.
    Could be the wheel bearing causing the shake but not the clicking..I took the wheels off while troubleshooting for the clicking noise..I did the paper method on the gear meshing.

RC Racer
    Could the clicking (and the spur wobble) be caused by a warped spur gear???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybobb View Post
    Could the clicking (and the spur wobble) be caused by a warped spur gear???
    Yes. I've seen that. A spur that meshes perfectly on one side but not the other.

Sent from my CM10 Android device using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    To me it sounds like your gear mesh is to tight. I know the book says to use a piece of paper. I personally dont like that. I eyeball it. I agree with o.g looks like you have quite a vibration. Might want to fix that to. If it water in the wheels you can put several small holes in the tire like 1/8 inch and that will throw the water out

RC Champion
    Is the roll pin on the end of the slipper clutch shaft still full intact? The drive gear could be spinning on the shaft, and hitting a small piece of busted roll pin. That would cause the click and loss of power.

RC Racer
    I will check the gear mesh and move it slightly out some. The roll pin is fine, everything has been taken apart and inspected, cleaned thoroughly and re greased, nothing is warped (to the eye anyway) or broke. I will also try to get water out of the tires. I checked all the seals on the rear tires and they seemed tight but it could be..My son did go through a large puddle on accident the other day. I ordered a new spur gear and pinion gear last night on ebay...a few days I will slip one on at a time and see if that does it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mes882 View Post
    To me it sounds like your gear mesh is to tight. I know the book says to use a piece of paper. I personally dont like that. I eyeball it. I agree with o.g looks like you have quite a vibration. Might want to fix that to. If it water in the wheels you can put several small holes in the tire like 1/8 inch and that will throw the water out
    Ok water in the tires...fixed the wobble. I had thought they were water tight but there is a small hole on the inside of the rim and I squeezed out quite a bit of mud water. I also adjusted the gear mesh and it seems to have taken out most of the clicking noise. Still sounds kind of grindy in there. Not as bad as it was though.

RC Qualifier
    Driving through puddles is cool. I learned about the water doing the same thing with my kid. The only two ways I know to get it out is 1 take the tire off and dry them out. 2 put a 4-5 small holes in the middle and around it and the centrifugal force will blow it out.

I would bet that teeth on the spur gear is wore a little uneven as well. The teeth on the inside part are little taller then on the outside part of the spur. I am not sure if you will understand what I am saying. Im not sure how describe it.

Also using a tooth pick to clean out the teeth works well if it is a piece if dirt.
    Last edited by mes882; 02-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mes882 View Post
    Driving through puddles is cool. I learned about the water doing the same thing with my kid. The only two ways I know to get it out is 1 take the tire off and dry them out. 2 put a 4-5 small holes in the middle and around it and the centrifugal force will blow it out.

I would bet that teeth on the spur gear is wore a little uneven as well. The teeth on the inside part are little taller then on the outside part of the spur. I am not sure if you will understand what I am saying. Im not sure how describe it.

Also using a tooth pick to clean out the teeth works well if it is a piece if dirt.
    we just finished making a few holes and it spit water everywhere...i squeezed out a bunch but this was better. I do understand what you are saying on the spur. I got a new spur gear and pinion last night on ebay. I cleaned that spur 3 times with a small knife, each tooth, plus flushing it with water while scraping it. Im thinking you are right about it being a bit wore. Hopefully the new spur clears that up. Thank you to everyone for their help on this. Maybe I should take up stamp collecting? LOL No really, thank you guys.