RC Enthusiast

Too Cold Outside?

I put a new 3.3 on my truck this week and have only gone through the 5 tank break-in. I would like to run it some more and tune it out better. It is in the 55-60 deg range and overcast. Is that too cold to fool with trying to tune a new engine?

Nope . Then those of us up north wouldn't be able to run much at all.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    +1 ^^^ Go have fun with it. That's not "cold" at all! Generally speaking, you have to do at least a little tuning on your engine every time you start it anyway. Temperature, barometric pressure and humidity all play a role. You'll get good at tuning with a little practice.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks fellas, just didn't want to harm this new engine. I use to hate tuning everytime I ran the truck but now it's kinda fun! Cold is usually not an issue here. We have to worry about the heat!

RC Champion
    Dude I always run mine in like 20 degrees.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

HA! I once ran my Slayer in -30 weather! I was up at a cabin in the mountains, it was so cold the engine was steaming! (NOT smoking) I don't think cold can hurt things unless you tune it too lean trying to get it to run, or if the nitro gells up.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    20 degs, is that pretty cold? Thankfully in my part of Texas we rarelly see that. It is the 105 deg days you have to richen the heck out of the engine!

Only reason I was asking is the book said never start a new engine below 70 degs. It had only had the 5 break-in tanks through it.

RC Champion
    I just said most of the time. Sometimes I run it in 10 degree weather.
    I would run it in colder but then my hands freeze because I can't carry the controller with gloves on. lol
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

You'll just have to watch the temps to make sure they're in that 250 to 270F range. If not you can wrap the head with a paper towel, sock, or even alum foil to get the temps up where they should be.

I used that method when I broke my 3.3 in when it was around 40F outside and it worked out great.

RC poster
    I snow bash every winter. The coldest I've run in is 10-15 degrees. It's 45 out now and I as running my jato 2.5. Jato sucks running in deep snow.

RC poster
    i run every sunday up here in pennsylvania and my nitros run fine in the cold, its a tweek on the high side needle here and there but i have no problems with the cold weather