Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 Stroke Revo

RC Qualifier
    Edar1 what kind of welder are you using, mig or tig? Im really tempted to build my own cage but i only have a wire feed.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Racer
    so did you get the external rolecage idea from the summit?

RC Competitor
    So my GF has been dieing to paint the body and I even let her pick out the colors for it. This a now a practice body cause all the welding has burnt it. But just to see how it would look we painted it any way and here it is.

Now we have a problem she wants the roll cage to be painted black. Like this little pace I painted to get a idea of the look.

I want to paint the roll cage the same green as the body like this.

What do you guys think Black or Green???

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

RC Competitor
    I have a mig like yours it is a wire feed if you look on the inside it should tell you what to set it at for the size of metal your are welding. I used 3/16 wire so I set the welder to 42 wire speed and 3 on the power setting but check to see it that is where yours needs to be and get some extra wire and practice with it. I have wanted to do one for years but did not have a welder till now.

RC Qualifier
    I vote black. The green looks good too but not around the fender flairs IMO. Great build by the way.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by edar1 View Post
    I have a mig like yours it is a wire feed if you look on the inside it should tell you what to set it at for the size of metal your are welding. I used 3/16 wire so I set the welder to 42 wire speed and 3 on the power setting but check to see it that is where yours needs to be and get some extra wire and practice with it. I have wanted to do one for years but did not have a welder till now.
    Are you using flux core wire or a shielding gas? I have both just need to fill my gas bottle. If you use flux core ill save me some money and not buy gas. I normally just use C02 but may get Argon cause it splatters less.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Competitor
    I used Shielded gas with Argon I have used CO2 before but like the Argon better. Good luck and post some pic's so we can see your roll cage.

RC Competitor
    I prefer black.

RC Competitor
    I'd definitly go with the black the contrast looks sick.
    I NEED CHEAPER HOBBIES!

RC Competitor
    Not much to report on been busy with work and the GF.. I am trying to find a clutch bell that has metric BB, 13 or 14 tooth and a pitch of 32 or .8 mm and I dont care what size the bell is. I plain on welding it to a bigger bell so if any one know of something that might work let me know so I can check in to it. On a side note I did get the other gas can in and JB welded the exhaust stack.

I have as been working on the vacuum forming for the cooling shroud and duct work, but so far all I have managed to do is spend money on more lexan and a heater on and on . I will let you guys know when I it right and how I did it. I hope to get the tranny set up with the Jato gear I have for it. I have to lift the tranny to get the new spur gear to clear the chassis.
    Last edited by edar1; 03-12-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: messed up on smiles

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...
    Here's an idea. See if you can find the spur gear you want in mod 1 pitch, don't worry about the bolt pattern for the moment. Since you're making a crawler, you could probably get away with not having a slipper clutch on your spur gear. Use the space that the slipper used to occupy to make a custom adapter to bolt on the new spur gear. Or you could just make a new plate for the slipper with a different bolt pattern for the new spur you find.
    Hope this helps
    al'Thor
    Suzuki
    Way of Life!

RC Competitor
    I cut out the gas tank mount and bent the brass for the fuel lines to run inside the bumper.

I then I figured I would weld up my own bell, so going with the 0.8m I got a summit spur and cut the frame to clear the gear.

RC Competitor
    More parts for the build... got the perry pump and T fitting so there is no need for a back pressure line. The rebuild kit for the motor minus the connecting rod, A 3.3 reverse gear, new boots. Thats right to top it all off Summit locking diffs.

I have also been working on my vacuum forming and had some successes with it. This is the side of the engine cooling shroud.

As well as a lot of failure... or as I like to say is a lot of learning lessons. The other half of the cooling shroud.

On the bright side I am getting closer to what I want.

When I get the frame cleared out for the locking diffs I will post some more pics.

Thank guys
    Last edited by edar1; 03-31-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: for got a word

RC Competitor
    I have done some sanding on the frame

and cleared the frame for the diff lockers

I have also been working on the cooling shroud and still messing up on them

but after working on the molds i got good vacuums out of them

RC Competitor
    The hole shroud aft of the cooling duct

this is still in the mock up state and could have to change do to spur gear might not clear.

RC Champion
    that is very creative ^^^ good job
    i wonder how well it will help with heat
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Competitor
    very nice job!

RC Competitor
    It should work just like a Heli engine they have cooling shrouds to keep them under temp. That is where i got the idea from I will put a Y harness on the throttle and plug in a esc for the cooling motor. So as i rev up the engine it will bring up the rpms on the cooling motor and should keep the temps down. I will be checking all of this through the telematry system that I have to go on it, this way i can check everything while it is running.

RC Champion
    it does not work like that... the throttle input or any input for tat matter on your receiver does not regulate voltage for speed or direction... the signal input does that... servos work off of duty cycle, the motor will get constant 6 volts regardless of init...
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Competitor
    Y harness on the throttle and plug in a esc for the cooling motor.
    He is using an esc.

RC Champion
    oh my bad.. missed that
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Competitor
    So I have been working on a new cooling shroud as the old one did not clear the spur gear.

I also mounted the tranny with spacers under it to get good gear mesh and make sure that the new shroud will clear.

RC Competitor
    Rather then having a bolt together flange like the old shroud I am putting the cooling fan mount and motor shroud all one mold.

RC Qualifier
    any updates on this build? super cool stuff!
    Revo LRP 30x
    EMBE 6s
    ERBE 6s
    Summit 4s

RC Enthusiast
    awesome job!

RC Qualifier
    WOW. Id love a fuelie Revo like HPI was been working on with the savage octane...
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Enthusiast
    Idk how old this is but it's way cool

RC Competitor
    Well fans it has been some time sense I have touched this project but fear not I am back to work with some additions. After a move to a new house and job as well as getting the hobby room set up. Now that it is winter and things slowed down I have dusted off the box and been ordering parts. I hope to soon have pic up on the progress.

RC Qualifier
    glad to see your back at this build..... this is so far beyond my scope of abilities im in awe seeing the thread.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Racer
    Dude! I'm subscribed! Awesome build so far, I wish I had the funds to do stuff like this.