Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Stroke Revo

RC Competitor

4 Stroke Revo

so i have a extra Revo it is a 2.5 frame. I also have a OS .26 on road four stroke engin with the kyosho conversion kit to get the steel fly wheel and other parts i needed... big block motor mount the list goes on and on. I have done this motor in a revo before but i was trying to get it to hit stock 2.5 top speed and that did not go so well. Fast forward 8 years or so and i am doing it again. This time I am making it a crwaler truck but have ran in to a problem... GEARS. To get the speed i want i need a 13t clutch bell and a 50t or the 54t Jatio spur would work. The Jatio uses 0.8m pitch the revo uses a 1.0m pitch and the OS .26 clutch is the size of an 1/8 scale. What seam to be the problem you ask, 1/8 scales also uses the 1.0m pitch and that wont work with the 0.8m Jatio gear. Does anyone know of a 1/8 scale clutch bell that is 0.8m pitch or a 1m pitch 50t or 54t spur that will bolt up to a revo... Thank for the help guys and i will try to get some pics up there soon.

RC Competitor
    why can i not get any pics to load in to the web page. God this is more complicated then fixing a nitro heli... you think that the company who got every thing else right would make there web page just as ease to uses as there RC cars are.
    Last edited by edar1; 02-10-2013 at 12:55 PM.

RC Champion
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    I love the sound of a 4 stroke. It's what God intended engines to sound like. Good luck!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Competitor
    Just the frame and motor, mount and tranny... the rest I was stripping down and cleaning.

[IMG]

RC Competitor
    I love the idea. I had the same idea before, but I gave up because I don't have enough money/time/resources. Basically, to put a four stroke engine on a revo, we need to mod everything, engine mount, fly wheel, throttle linkage/exhaust, gear ratio (cb/spur and tranny), and those i can't remember. I think gear ratio is the most tricky part, because FS engine revs at much lower rpm and has a completed different power band than two-stroke.
    But FS engine sounds sweet. I like them way more than two-stroke nitros. I'm looking forward to your project. Please keep us updated.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds great man keep posting up pics!

RC Competitor

I hope this one works

RC Competitor

let me try
    --------------------

just use the Image Links provided in the right side.
    ------------------------------------------------

Nice engine mount!
    Last edited by hfofhf; 02-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.

RC Competitor

Here goes another try at the pic thing. I am set up on Photo Bucket and have turned on the ez link and photo sharing hope this works

RC Competitor
    thanks man for the help... I think I got it and I am going to get my camera and upload the rest that i have.

RC Competitor
    shaved the body mounts and glued on body foam

then shaved the bumper mounts and reamed the body to bolt up to the mounts

I have also been working on the cooling duct and shroud for the engine i plan on vacume forming the duck and shroud out of lexain
    here is the GWS ducted fan and wooden mold for the cooling unit aft of the fan.

the motor shroud

and here is the vacume board i am going to use to foarm the duct work

RC Competitor
    nice pics
    looking forward to more.

which big block engine mount are u using?

RC Competitor
    The traxxas big block mount

well my try at vacume forming is not going so well. I need another kinda heater

But the build goes on and i have started work on the roll cage as i have all the metal for that on hand so i worked on the front bumper

the front bumper bolts up through the body and

still need to grind it down some

bumper mounted on the body

I tried to match the angle of the front skid plate

a side look of the bumper aka roll cage mount. I still have some finish work to do on the bumper but i cranked this one out i 3 hours

RC Qualifier
    you could put a ditch hoop on the bumper. It would also give you a finger handle to pick it up
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by edar1 View Post
    The traxxas big block mount
    Thanks.
    What is the specs of the output shaft of ur engine? OS FS-26 is discontinued and I guess what is available is FS-30. Can I use traxxas cb and flywheel on FS 26 or 30?
    Last edited by hfofhf; 02-21-2013 at 03:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Looks great man can't wait to see more!

RC Competitor
    I dont know about the 30 but the .26 uses a SAE clutch nut not MM nut like every one else. that is why i had to get the kyosho on road convertion kit for the .26 I needed the clutch and flywheel as a stock is two light and does not fit the tapper flange of the four stroke. I also had to drill out the motor tabs to get it to fit the big block mount all I needed was .5mm to get everything to line up and now you see what i have. Just went and took a look at the .30 and that is a airplane motor witch is not the same as the .26 that i have. The .26 was built for a car it has a different cam and valve springs that allow it to rev up to 22,000 and that .30 only goes to 9000 but do to the bigger bore it will allow you to gear it up and make the difference there. Good luck man
    Last edited by edar1; 02-22-2013 at 01:45 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by edar1 View Post
    I dont know about the 30 but the .26 uses a SAE clutch nut not MM nut like every one else. that is why i had to get the kyosho on road convertion kit for the .26 I needed the clutch and flywheel as a stock is two light and does not fit the tapper flange of the four stroke. I also had to drill out the motor tabs to get it to fit the big block mount all I needed was .5mm to get everything to line up and now you see what i have. Just went and took a look at the .30 and that is a airplane motor witch is not the same as the .26 that i have. The .26 was built for a car it has a different cam and valve springs that allow it to rev up to 22,000 and that .30 only goes to 9000 but do to the bigger bore it will allow you to gear it up and make the difference there. Good luck man
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into this.

RC Competitor
    rear bumper

finishing the last of fab

I wanted the rear bumper to have a flater angle with more room to hold the two spare gas cans that i plain on pluming in to the fuel system.

The spare gas can... this is a header tank i snagged off my nitro heli to see how it would look.

RC Qualifier
    Thats cool a lil bit of red paint and you would have a functioning Jerry Can. I like the 1/10 rock crawler accessories but i have never seen a "Functioning Jerry Can" this would be a first.

You get 2 bonus points for creativity lol

RC Competitor
    lol thank but i dont think paint will stick I was planing on dieing then red and if that did not work I would try the plastic paint but idk

RC Qualifier
    what about like a plastic dip? At Harbor Freight they have a liquid plastic dip for like redoing plyer handles. Ive often thought of using that stuff to water proof and coating other things. Ill try to find a link for you.

Check this stuff out and it comes in red. Ive seen it sold at Harbor Freight. Also in my google search i seen it was also in spray cans and 1 gallon buckets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-5-oz-PLAS...ti=Color%09Red
    Last edited by NvDesertRat96; 02-22-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added a link

RC Competitor
    my bad i stand corrected the .30 will put out 13,000 rpm and not 9,000

RC Qualifier
    The same company also sells a spray on electrical tape. So many ideas come to mind for water proofing. Could also use that Platic Dip on your bumpers. Rubber coated home made parts would be awesome. Good luck cant wait to see this project progress.

RC Champion
    nice build.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Competitor
    on my lunch i made the jig for bending the roll cage

Time to make the exhaust pipe so i know there to put the roll cage

I cut up a very old RC 10 GT MIP rear pipe header

the finished exhaust system

with the body mounted i could figure out where to cut the bumper

I drilled a hole in the bumper

after drilling i cut and filled the hole then bent and welded a guard for the pipe around this also helps to reenforce the bumper for the mounting of the roll cage.

and there is still plenty of room for the two gas cans to mount on

RC Champion
    That's different... but cool man, never seen an exhaust setup like that before. Like the build, hope all goes well
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Competitor
    I have been busy on the truck and the idea of a ditch hoop on the bumper i liked it so i included it in the build...
    Posted by NvDesertRat96

"you could put a ditch hoop on the bumper. It would also give you a finger handle to pick it up"

Keep the Ideas coming it just might make it in to the build...

Thanks
    Last edited by edar1; 02-25-2013 at 02:52 AM.

RC Competitor
    I started off with the sides of the roll cage Had to been up a 3 of them as one was way to high on the roof line

I welded them to the bumpers and worked on the braces

the ditch hoop bumper

I bent up a pipe hanger

After bending the hanger i had the idea for a cool grill guard

then cut and welded the lower frame for the gas cans talk about a pain in the u know what

I also wanted to protect the upper part of the gas cans so i did a loop

Now I need some help for you guys... I need to figure out to how to run the fuel lines to the gas cans on the back but I dont want to run them under the bumper. I though about going through the body but dont want to mess up the scale look.

Thanks guys

RC Competitor
    I almost for got the roof rack I wanted to add to cover up the hole and splash guard I will make in the roof of the body to allow more air to the cooling duct unit for the motor. AKA the rest of the snorkel kit I am hopping to end up with when I am done.

RC Competitor
    nice update!

RC Competitor
    I am planing on finishing the hold down for the gas cans and the lower side peaces for the roll cage. Then I guess i will start on the snorkel for the engine as I have done little to no work on that yet... But what ever I work on I will post pic's and explain them.

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

RC Champion
    was it you that had the revo thumper

this guy... here is a link to teh video.. and it is not a virus.. LOL

http://home.comcast.net/~dp250f/video/RevoThumper.wmv

he had a 40 in his revo...
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Competitor
    no that is not me but it is cool.

RC Racer
    props man keep it up i wanna see more

RC Qualifier
    I remember that build from long ago (god I feel old!), I'm pretty sure that was a .52 heli engine, not the .40. But this is, by far, the best build I've seen in years. Keep up the AMAZING work!
    My Revo: OS .18TM, 16/38 gearing, wide ratio 2nd speed, futaba throttle servo, new era shock ends, FOC, Pullstart, P3 rockers, Aluminum Pushrods, Plymouth HEMI Cuda' Shell, LT springs, GTR shocks, did i mention its got a HEMI!! And a wicked fast TRX-1!! (It'll smoke the Team Associated's B4)

RC Competitor
    At last here they are

Here is my hold down strap for the gas cans

I had to add to the bending jig to give me a different curve

I then started on the lower side roll cage

I also cut side braces and welded it all together

A side shot

I am digging the look I did not think it would look this cool

RC Competitor
    can't wait to see it running.

RC Competitor
    I knew I wanted to put a guard for the hood in to the roll cage I though about doing an X but after looking at the body I wanted to follow the hood lines.