RC Qualifier

i'm terrified.......

okay so i killed my T-MAXX about 3 weeks ago and got an E-MAXX so the T-MAXX is just parts now but the motor is is still good so i put it in my rustler and this thing is way to fast. i left the clutch bell on it and put the 70T on it so its running 22/70 gearing. the thing is crazy and wheelies to point of just flipping around

RC Champion
    LOL! That's exactly how I feel running my E-Maxx Brushless on 6S.

If you call New Era models at 603-888-4453, I believe they make a wheelie bar for the Nitro Rustler...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    i need to look into that wheelie bar it needs it pretty bad

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by screamsatchildren View Post
    i need to look into that wheelie bar it needs it pretty bad
    Their website is just now being updated, so they don't have all their old products listed yet. I'd make a phone call.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    this thing is way to much to handle its ridiculous! idk how you guys put a 3.3 in something so small........

RC Qualifier
    Maybe one day I get to experience that lol. Post up some videos

i used a jato wheelie bar on my nitro pede and worked out great. i drilled it on to the battery box on the rear centered it and added some longer screws for it and held up great even off roading with it on still lol. You will want to keep an extra or couple extra rear set of wheels around as you will bald them fast.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    yea the jato wheelie bar looks good too i'm not a fan of aluminum so i don't wanna put it on any of my trucks.

Check out some pics I have posted in the nitro pede gallery of how I mounted mine not hard at all.

RC Qualifier
    after the 5th run the brake disk shredded along with a bearing so its down till i fix those i have to take the tranny apart and see it it did anything in there, it sounds perfect when i turn it but just to make sure i'm doing it anyway

I know when I started running my 2.5r I stripped the idler gear in the tranny so instead of keep that happening I did a metal geared idler gear out of a clutch bell and worked great. I know the nitro slash mentions that it has a steel idler gear and diff gear its needed for sure. I never had trouble with my brake it always locked was all so I would try to slow it would be then if you apply too hard all the way it locked the rear wheels and bounced around.

RC Qualifier
    yea i think thats what it was i was running a surface that was part chip-in-seal so it was blacktop/grave/dirt and i would easily hit the brakes and it lock up on the gravel then hit the blacktop and bounce so yea i'll have to be more gentle in that area or find a new one

what i did was sand my wear plates with a 100-150 grit sand paper to remove the smoothness off them and then the same for the brake disk and worked good for a while, what i started to do was adjust the trim on the tx for the brake to grab like 10-15% so when i let off throttle it drags kinda like electric helped alot and it slows enough to not have to use the brake much.

RC Qualifier
    yea thats typicly how i brake just very lightly i never did do any hard braking it just tends to catch on certain surfaces. and i called traxxas they said my rustler and the new nitro slash have all the same tranny parts aside from different gearing for the smaller tires. it looks like what happened was the little metal adapter forced its way out of the brake disk a little and when that happened it shredded the inside of it popping a bearing along with it, could be a user error i'm sure i had it together tight when i changed the gearing but yea next time i'll assemble it on its side to make sure

RC Qualifier
    well shes back in action and with the steel wall bearings in the tranny rather than the just the sealed bearings shes screaming along. i also noticed i still had the old 2.5 stickers on it so i replaced those with 3.3 stickers. to be honest i got bored with this truck when it was a 2.5 now that its a Rustler 3.3 i can't believe this thing its twice as fast i just passed a car on the highway with a 45mph speed limit! crazy fast! with the 22/70 gearing i know its kitting more than 55mph

speed monster lol, I put some stickers on my nitro 4tec body but not my pede when i put the 2.5 in. I had a 3.3 but its just a little much for the size of these nitros but hey people dont mind that much power on hand in a nitro atleast its there if you need it.

RC Qualifier
    yea i've seen ppl put a 3.3 in a pede before and as an owner of a pede vxl that has to much power but a 3.3 in a pede is way to much with the rustler its manageable with some throttle control but a pede WAY to high center of gravity lol. i wish i had a 4-tec i would put a vxl in it, and it would be awesome, but i don't wanna buy one new or if i'd even like it, but yea rustler 3.3 = crazy i am really liking this thing its like chaos incarnate!

These things may help.
    1. Soften the rear suspension so it squats a little more.
    2. Move the batts off the rear and more forward
    3. Drop the front shock adjustments to lower the front if you have the clearance.
    4. Us an MIP clutch, set it for earlier engagement (slightly softer takeoff earlier rpm) or tighten up your clutch spring by connecting it to make a slightly tighter loop. Careful though, too much and you will be buying a new spring shortly and tearing things down again.

Still, that's a lot of power in that thing, should fly... Might want to get your pilots license
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    yea I have MIP clutch I've gone though two of them in the last few months good clutches to I did lower setting on it and I've basically done what I could for it but it still wheelies allot but I don't mind it now it's all in the throttle control it's beast I know that I mean a motor that powers a 10lbs truck in a 5lbs one is crazy stuff the power to weight ratio is insane lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    UPDATE! my nitro rustler is still going strong the better bearing in the tranny have done wonders and now does what ever i want it to do the 3.3 is purring like a kitten or roaring like lion i should say the pic was taken with the vxl too.

so what bearing did you replace?

RC Qualifier
    The ones on the out shaft with the spur on it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ooh ok, never had a problem with the bearing there only had the problem with the idler gear being plastic which i remedy that quick with some help from the guys here who used to be here all the time, now that traxxas came out with the steel idler gear and the diff gear steel atleast the lining for it teeth i dont have my nitro ooh well maybe later on it might not be a 1/10 though. Glad to hear your having a blast with your rustler 3.3. i know i had tons of fun with my pede 2.5R 3.3 would have been too much for me.

RC Qualifier
    yea when i rebuilt the tranny the gears were in tip top shape and i figure if they hold up in the Revo/Maxx trucks they should be fine in the a truck that weighs half as much but yea its great i now drive my Rustler 3.3 more than my VXL and my E-MAXX

I would have driven more my pede if I wasnt limited to run it somewhere else than here where i live but i'll get another nitro soon as i cant leave it alone i have 1 gallon of fuel still for it traxxas and powermaster i might have to dispose of it and just buy new fuel unless i find someone around here to take it off my hands free of charge.

Have you seen some of the builds people have done on the forum here for the nitro rustler?
    Last edited by mike-susieq1; 02-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.