Thread: SRT upgrade

RC Racer

Question SRT upgrade

My old username was carbednotch
    My SRT has such sloppy steering bell cranks... The aluminum steering pivot bushings need replacing also.
    The aftermarket has a nitro rustler alumin steering turnbuckles with ball bearings but I found nothing specifically for the srt. Will the nitro rustler steering fit my srt? I really want ball bearings instead of the plastic bushings

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while! Glad to hear you still have the SRT! For some reason, I can't help myself and just bought another one. Not too sure if the Nitro Rustler rack will work, but I can't see any reason why not.

Really all you need is a set of 5x8x2.5mm ball bearings for your stock bellcranks. That should tighten everything up. That's all I've ever done with any of mine.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while! Glad to hear you still have the SRT! For some reason, I can't help myself and just bought another one. Not too sure if the Nitro Rustler rack will work, but I can't see any reason why not.

Really all you need is a set of 5x8x2.5mm ball bearings for your stock bellcranks. That should tighten everything up. That's all I've ever done with any of mine.
    Awesome!
    Thanks harry!
    I'm going to get the ball bearings and I'm also looking for a stout servo to go with it
    Also Harry while I got you on the line, I want to put a brushless motor on my srt... I want to know if the rustler vxl transmission will fit? What all upgrades will I need to make?
    You got another SRT? Want to sell one? Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Bmktw2 View Post
    Awesome!
    Thanks harry!
    I'm going to get the ball bearings and I'm also looking for a stout servo to go with it
    Also Harry while I got you on the line, I want to put a brushless motor on my srt... I want to know if the rustler vxl transmission will fit? What all upgrades will I need to make?
    You got another SRT? Want to sell one? Hehe

The Rustler trans isn't a direct bolt-on. Close, but not quite. The good news is all the Rustler internals are interchangeable. Even the top shaft and Revo-style slipper are a direct fit. I've never used that setup myself, but it should be bulletproof. All my SRT's had the ball diff with aluminum idler and delrin top gear,VXL slipper and top shaft, and all ran VXL systems. None of them were bashed though. Always used on a well-groomed track.

Oh, and the SRT is probably gonna be for sale in another week or two. It's in excellent and original condition. Just need to finish up with a few more details.

RC Qualifier
    just like harry said the rustler trans isnt a direct bolt on. i know because i tried it for the heck of it lol. have you checked out in (i think) pit pass??? they have a srt that is all tricked out. personally i wouldnt do that because i like to save em in good shape. but if your thinking about using it alot it might be worth looking at. o and better watch out bmktw2... that srt is mine lol jk but looking forward to the srt goin up harry. (hint hint)
    Edit: found the link bmk here it is:
    http://traxxas.com/pitpass/hopup/new...-Stadium-Truck
    Last edited by Gecko5678; 01-13-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko5678 View Post
    just like harry said the rustler trans isnt a direct bolt on. i know because i tried it for the heck of it lol. have you checked out in (i think) pit pass??? they have a srt that is all tricked out. personally i wouldnt do that because i like to save em in good shape. but if your thinking about using it alot it might be worth looking at. o and better watch out bmktw2... that srt is mine lol jk but looking forward to the srt goin up harry. (hint hint)
    Edit: found the link bmk here it is:
    http://traxxas.com/pitpass/hopup/new...-Stadium-Truck
    You should see the one Bmktw2 has. All original with original body and box art paint!

The truck in the pit pass section belongs to Steve Slayden and has that super-rare Traxxas graphite chassis!

RC Racer
    I ordered new steering bearings, pivot bushings and new bell cranks.
    I also got a new rustler vxl body so I don't bust up my srt one...
    I got 7 cell 4000mah batteries and with the 8.2volts, the srt is faster than ever!
    But not fast enough... I want a brushless motor now.
    I think I want to buy a vxl transmission and put the steel gears into mine and then get a brushless motor.
    What do ya'll recommend?
    Harry, you do remember my car! That's cool.
    I want your other srt when u sell it

RC Qualifier
    I ordered new steering bearings, pivot bushings and new bell cranks.
    I also got a new rustler vxl body so I don't bust up my srt one...
    I got 7 cell 4000mah batteries and with the 8.2volts, the srt is faster than ever!
    But not fast enough... I want a brushless motor now.
    I think I want to buy a vxl transmission and put the steel gears into mine and then get a brushless motor.
    What do ya'll recommend?
    I want your other srt when u sell it
    Hey bmk do you think u could post pics of ur srt cause i love to original srt's. i would reccommend the velineon systum so if u crash ur car doesent get destroyed. Ive seen about 10 use this combo.
    And harry so he has the same chassis that i have now

RC Racer

Oh yeah! I wanted to buy it back then, but just couldn't justify it after I had just built this one:

RC Qualifier
    Both of ur guys' srt's look great!

RC Racer
    Harry,
    I saw in a post of yours that you still had the original SRT instructions manual, I really wish you could get it on a .PDF so that those of us who lost ours many years ago, could make sure ours is all built correctly.

I noticed the way your steering servo is mounted on the picture above^^ its got the counter-sunk bolts in those threads on top which is different from mine which is only bolted from the bottom so I have have the empty bolt holes on the top frame. (this is hard to describe)

Also, I'm looking for an extra set of wheels.... What make model do I search for?

RC Racer
    I want to order up a VXL transmission so I can get the steel gears out of it and install them into my SRT trans before I run a Brushless system.... Would just purchasing a VXL rustler transmission be the best option?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas-...item589a74b9ff

RC Qualifier
    Hey again carbednotch. Yep, if you want the steel gears thats the best way to build it. Piece it all together separately and it costs ALOT more via hobbyshop pricing. I used these on some runners several times and always worked out pretty decent. For serious running (read that as racing) I do as Sam says and use the prodiff, hardened idler and delrin top gear on the VXL topshaft/vxl slipper assy. Problem is I haven't raced in so long I can't remember which trannys are built like this anymore

It is good to see that truck again...wished I had the cash back then to pick it up when I wanted to

Todd
    Peace and Professionalism.....Kabunga signing off!

RC Champion
    Other than being a bit heavy the strongest setup for that trans would be a FLM sealed diff and Robinson Racing idler from a Stampede/Rustler. You could also get the STRC input shaft that would allow you to run a AE slipper clutch. Such a setup would be just about bullet proof and offer lots of tuning capability. Everything should fit right in the case but you might have to remove some material so the diff spins freely.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Harry,
    I saw in a post of yours that you still had the original SRT instructions manual, I really wish you could get it on a .PDF so that those of us who lost ours many years ago, could make sure ours is all built correctly.

I noticed the way your steering servo is mounted on the picture above^^ its got the counter-sunk bolts in those threads on top which is different from mine which is only bolted from the bottom so I have have the empty bolt holes on the top frame. (this is hard to describe)

Also, I'm looking for an extra set of wheels.... What make model do I search for?

I have the manual, but unfortunately (at least for you guys) it's still in the sealed package with the NIB kit.

Only thing I can think of by your description of the countersink screws going through the top chassis plate are the ones that hold the front battery box piece in place. The servo is only mounted to the lower chassis with the stock servo mounts.

For rims, just go with the originals. 1972 for the rear and 1974 for the front. I've noticed that some sellers on ebay have them listed as vintage and want crazy prices for them, but as far as I know Traxxas still makes them and they're readily available for cheap. Every time I go to my LHS they have them. And if I happen to buy a set, they have more on the wall within a week.

Might also be worth checking out the new sealed diff by Hot Racing. Much cheaper than FLM. I'm just waiting to hear some reviews on how they hold up before ordering one. From what I se so far it looks like a quality piece though.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rential-review

Hey guys don't forget about me haha. I have a SRT manual too and a beautiful SRT. As for a strong transmission I use the delrin top, aluminium idler and delrin diff gear. You have to build the diff right and have no slipper age while not being locked up.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 01-15-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Hey guys don't forget about me haha. I have a SRT manual too and a beautiful SRT. As for a strong transmission I use the delrin top, aluminium idler and delrin diff gear. You have to build the diff right and have no slipper age while not being locked up.
    Scan the pages and make a .PDF I'll give you $5 for it

RC Racer
    I went to the hobby store today and got a 21 tooth pinion gear. I swapped it out for the 18 tooth and its alot faster now...
    I bought a bunch of stuff from ebay also... A new chassis, halfshafts and a bunch of other cool parts.

Wow! I didn't even see that chassis on ebay. Must have sold quick! I still have a NIP upper and lower SRT chassis set, along with a TCP upper deck, battery box set, and a bunch of other stuff. May have to sell them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Wow! I didn't even see that chassis on ebay. Must have sold quick! I still have a NIP upper and lower SRT chassis set, along with a TCP upper deck, battery box set, and a bunch of other stuff. May have to sell them.
    Do you have any tcp dogbone axles?

RC Racer
    I installed new bellcranks and pivot bushings along with the ball bearings and a waterproof traxxas servo.
    I am very happy with this!!!!!

Man the Rustler body looks good!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-09-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: post merge