RC Qualifier

Mini summit crawler build

Well after having nothing but breakage on my mini summit running fast ive decided the only way im going to keep this little swiss watch together is to slow it down! I recently have been spending a lot of time with my Scx10 and im going to build my summit into a little trail truck. I have already done the trans gear swap, Epoxy locked the diffs(and shimmed while i was in there), put 1.9 mud slingers weighted in the front. And when i use up the rest of my replacement servo gears ill swap in an mg85. Has merv rockers and driveshafts.30w oil. I have ordered the 540 motor plate, mount, and dust cover and am going to try a tacon 1200kv motor. If that doesnt suit my needs ill swap in a brushed 27t and xl2.5 ive got laying around. I suppose my question is am i missing anything? Has anyone else went this route with a similar setup? Does anyone else notice this truck flys apart over 15mph!?

RC Qualifier
    If anyone is thinking mini summit for a basher do yourself a favor and spend a couple extra bucks for a stampede 4x4! So easy to work on! Sooo tuff, way faster, parts are just as cheap. All round awesome out of the box!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaxion911 View Post
    If anyone is thinking mini summit for a basher do yourself a favor and spend a couple extra bucks for a stampede 4x4! So easy to work on! Sooo tuff, way faster, parts are just as cheap. All round awesome out of the box!
    If I was going 1/10 there are just a few (dozen) trucks that would win out over that.
    apples to oranges
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Was just speaking traxxas to traxxas as ive owned mini summit, emaxx, jato, slash 2wd, slash 4x4(converted my stampede for a short while) stampede vxl, stampede 4x4. I have to say if i could do it all again i would have saved myself alot of money and bought a stampede 4x4. Just soooo tuff and user friendly and parts are cheap and aftermarket support is very abundant ! but then again ive had a lot of fun owning them all.

RC Racer
    Pictures! I demand Pictures.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Sorry lots of pics but not sure how to post them off my phone. Youll have to take my word, no liar here. Fully blown rc addict!

RC Qualifier
    I have just finished ( Well, almost ) turning my mini Summit VXL into more of a crawler. The Merv and the Summit are great little vehicles but the VXL system is too much for them. Too many drivetrain issues and slop after a few runs. Great idea badly executed. I am a massive fan of Traxxas ( Currently got a T .Maxx...2x E, Maxx )and this little Summit so am by no means slating Traxxas its just that the VXL system should have been a bit more thought out. I have taken out my VXL and fitted the Slash 550 motor mount, plate and cover. Done the tranny flip and fitted a 1/10 ESC with a 55T crawler motor. Geared 23/55 and its perfect. Doesnt get warm at all and will run for nearly 2 hours crawling with a 2200 2s lipo. I streched the springs on the shocks about 1/4 " to allow a greater ride height without making it stiffer and am waiting on a set of 1.9 wheels and tyres which should be here middle of next week. The rear diff is locked with the Traxxas diff lockers but the front I have used blue tac with a very small amount of 500,00wt diff oil so it locks it up enough for crawling but allows the tiniest amount of slip for the steering.

I am very surprised with its ability now and it has never entertained me more.
    " TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by murdermaxx View Post
    I have just finished ( Well, almost ) turning my mini Summit VXL into more of a crawler. The Merv and the Summit are great little vehicles but the VXL system is too much for them. Too many drivetrain issues and slop after a few runs. Great idea badly executed. I am a massive fan of Traxxas ( Currently got a T .Maxx...2x E, Maxx )and this little Summit so am by no means slating Traxxas its just that the VXL system should have been a bit more thought out. I have taken out my VXL and fitted the Slash 550 motor mount, plate and cover. Done the tranny flip and fitted a 1/10 ESC with a 55T crawler motor. Geared 23/55 and its perfect. Doesnt get warm at all and will run for nearly 2 hours crawling with a 2200 2s lipo. I streched the springs on the shocks about 1/4 " to allow a greater ride height without making it stiffer and am waiting on a set of 1.9 wheels and tyres which should be here middle of next week. The rear diff is locked with the Traxxas diff lockers but the front I have used blue tac with a very small amount of 500,00wt diff oil so it locks it up enough for crawling but allows the tiniest amount of slip for the steering.

I am very surprised with its ability now and it has never entertained me more.
    got any vids of that in action. id like also mini summit to be just like his daddy the big summit.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Enthusiast
    If you want this mini to be a better crawler you will need to do a few modifications to it.
    Swap the gears in the transmission - lowers the top speed but more control at lower speeds.
    Use traxxas part # 7381, 1 for front and 1 for rear diff - It will lock the differentials like its big brother. Only issue is they are permanently locked.
    Then depending on if you try bigger tires, add a second servo for steering and connect it up to the extra CH 1 socket on the receiver. Helps push the bigger tires around by doubling the torque available due to the servo being so small.
    I then swapped to an aftermarket ESC so I could program in some Drag Brake - Keeps it from free rolling downhill when not using actual brake.
    It is still not as good as the big brother, but it sure does add better low speed crawling capability to this great little truck.
    4x4 Slash
    2x ERBE
    Summit
    1/16 Summit
    KB Rally

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I did a mini crawler summit build. Very similar to what was done here by others.
    Flipped trans, put in an XL5 ESC and an Electrifly S-600 motor, Ofna diff lock fluid in the diffs. Worked great. But proved to me im just not a mini summit guy.

If you buy a mini summit VXL, just like EVERY OTHER RC ON THE PLANET, you need to realize its not a universal RC. It has its intended purpose and use and taking out side of those will likely result in it getting broken. Its a 3S high speed monster basher. Its NOT a Stampede 4X4... its more of a fast trail truck IMO. Sure, everyone who buys one ends up trying to do standing backflips and hitting jumps at a skate park but thats what the MERV is for (and can handle much better). There is nothing wrong with the mini summit... people are just using it outside its comfort zone.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    If you buy a mini summit VXL, just like EVERY OTHER RC ON THE PLANET, you need to realize its not a universal RC. It has its intended purpose and use and taking out side of those will likely result in it getting broken. Its a 3S high speed monster basher. Its NOT a Stampede 4X4... its more of a fast trail truck IMO. Sure, everyone who buys one ends up trying to do standing backflips and hitting jumps at a skate park but thats what the MERV is for (and can handle much better). There is nothing wrong with the mini summit... people are just using it outside its comfort zone.
    I agree with you Pavmentsurfer, I have a summit nephew has the merv and each does things better then the other.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    got any vids of that in action. id like also mini summit to be just like his daddy the big summit.
    I dont have anything of yet, As I say I dont consider it finished yet as I am waiting for the rims n tyres I will do a vid at some point, but will create my own thread as this one belongs to someone else.

RC Qualifier
    What tires you getting for it murdermaxx?
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    What tires you getting for it murdermaxx?
    I couldnt make up my mind with tyres but wanted something really cheap as I didnt know if all this mini crawler thing was gonna work out so went with some Fastrax Snakes on Land Rover wheels. They are meant for scalers but I think they will look cool. I couldnt find any review on the Snakes so I thought I would give them a whirl. Tread seams a little close for a crawler but am thinking of removing every other tread block to provide more grab. They will also be weighted on the front.

RC Enthusiast
    I use Summit for crawling, now a year old and many ours used, not a single gived up.
    The builiding thread:http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...besturing.html

The olnly weak parts are the servo's. Those mini's and upgrade mini servo' as mg85, also when you use a pair of them are to weak for crawling with a blocked servo saver, the reduction used from wheel to servo linkage is giving to much strain, not enough torque. I you block the servo saver it takes minutes and the geares of your servo's are stripped and/or the electronics give up, does anyone have a idear to get more torque out of the servo's by modding the steering linkage system? The use of 1/10 scale are to big otherwise that was the solution.
    Last edited by Mc T; 03-10-2013 at 01:58 AM.