RC Enthusiast

Check if TRX 3.3 will run without running it.

Hi guys, I am going to check out a Tmaxx 3.3 I found on craiglist for a good price today. The guy has no fuel so he can't get it running, but is there anyway that I can check the engine to see if it is bad (or good for that matter.)

Thanks in advance

RC Enthusiast
    Have him charge his starter battery and take a GP and some fuel with you. Make sure everything works before you buy.

Bring a hex driver with you and remove the cooling head. Look to see that the piston top is either silver or a golden color; black is bad. With the head on and glow plug in, spin the flywheel by hand and there should be a decent amount of resistance as the piston gets to TDC and then should release with a pop. If it fails all these then good chance the engine would need a rebuild.
    The Super Derecho

I'd take a glow plug ignitor and some fuel... Let him fire it up...

You don't need to pull the cooling head, just bring a flashlight, remove the glowplug and shine it down there, also have the exhaust header off and then rotate the flywheel using a flashlight look for scoring on the sides of the piston (a small amount is fine, a deep gouge no), and look for coloration from the top and the sides using a good flashlight...

But honestly, you can't tell if the driveline is OK, the clutch, the tranny, radio or anything if he doesn't fire it up...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous