RC poster

Question TRX 3.3 Engine con rod DEAD

Trx 3.3 engine is bigger than 2.5, but use same rod.

So always broken.

I think many people face this problem too, so I searched on the internet to solve this problem.
    And I found these items.

1. http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.co...cting_rods.php
    2. http://rbmods.net/rbshop/index.php?t...product_id=171

I think these items will be an answer to this problem.

Did anyone use them?

Does it happen? Yes. To every 3.3. No. Just like in the news we hear about the small percentage of failures (the bad stuff) and not the high percentage of non-failures (the good stuff). Given the amount of 3.3s out there we only hear of a small number that fail and instantly it's Traxxas' fault.

When someone shares a picture of a split rod undoubtedly someone will request a photo of the piston it was attached to. More often than not the piston shows obvious signs of abuse yet the owner states they never run too lean, too hot, baby the engine and do after-run and had plenty of smoke at the time of failure.

Will those products work? Sure. You want to know what works better and saves $40? A good tune.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Does it happen? Yes. To every 3.3. No. Just like in the news we hear about the small percentage of failures (the bad stuff) and not the high percentage of non-failures (the good stuff). Given the amount of 3.3s out there we only hear of a small number that fail and instantly it's Traxxas' fault.

When someone shares a picture of a split rod undoubtedly someone will request a photo of the piston it was attached to. More often than not the piston shows obvious signs of abuse yet the owner states they never run too lean, too hot, baby the engine and do after-run and had plenty of smoke at the time of failure.

Will those products work? Sure. You want to know what works better and saves $40? A good tune.
    Tell us how you feel, Marshal!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    I have had 3 of the 3.3 engine in my rc life. One in a nitro rustler, T maxx, and jato. The one in the jato failed with only 10 tanks through it. Not what happened. That happened in 2010. Since 2007 when I started running nitro, that was the only engine that failed on me. I think traxxas needs to beef up the con rod on the 3.3. I drive all my trucks like bats straight out of edit. I fell I can't push the 3.3 to it's limits because the con rod my be too weak to handle race level stress(drag racing mostly). I always ran my 3.3's slightly rich. The only one I tried to tune perfectly is the jato when it blew, I was still in first gear. It could be my shift point was to late.

**Watch the language. Remove words that have been filtered out by the language filter. **
    Last edited by Double G; 02-13-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: language abuse

Been racing the 3.3 since late 2005... I've had no issues with conrods. Every conrod I've seen split had issues pointing to the engine being poorly tuned for too long....

Having a shift point too late can cause a conrod to stretch, that weakens the conrod... Having a shift point too early puts a lot of strain on the engine and the driveline, suaually casuing you to run hot or run too rich.. Running too rich at higher rpms can cause conrod damage as well. No mater what Nitro you are using...

I fail to see how a lean condition or poor tune is fixed by using a beefier conrod...

Then again, by the time the operator splits a rod and gets to their either upgraded conrod engine, or their new TRX stock engine, the learning curve for tuning has been met in many cases and then of coaurse no more conrod issues... Go figure....

Most people's first Nitro does not last any where near the same as their second since they've gotten the tuning curve down...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...