RC Qualifier

Downhill Mountain Bike

So I have been looking at the Specialized Stump Jumper FSR Comp 29 for some time now and I am wanting it more and more. I was wondering if any of you guys had one because I am thinking about getting one so I can use it for Trails, Downhill, Freeride, and Urban Downhill Racing with friends. Would this be a good bike? I have a price range and this bike is close to pushing it. Here is the link: www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sjfsr/stumpjumperfsrcomp29
    Last edited by Jacob Chandler; 02-08-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Racer
    What's the price tag on a bike like that?

REVO 3.3
    SAVAGE X 4.6
    JATO 3.3 (Built in progress)

0.1 - German Shepherd (Kahlua)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    REVO 3.3
    HPI SAVAGE X 4.6 Big Block
    AXIAL AX10

RC Champion
    I don't know about that bike specifically, but Specialized has been making pretty sweet rides for a lot of years.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    Price tag is $3000 and to be serious it would be a lot of money for me to spend. I am 14 and want to get more into the MTB Sport and try out the different styles MTB offers.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Ive been mountain biking for quite a few years now, i personally wouldn't recommend a bike like that for downhill, but for trail riding, XC, light downhill it would be fine. I ride a intense SS2, which is supposedly a slope style bike but it has 6-6.5" rear travel so its more light downhill. Itll be a great bike and youll love it, just dont expect it to be ideal for real downhill stuff
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    Would one of the Specialized Gravity Series bikes be used for everything I mentioned above?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Racer
    Like I mentioned in your other thread, I have that exact bike. It is not intended for serious downhill, not enough suspension travel, BB is also too low. You could go for the enduro or for a real DH bike like the Demo. (Gravity series as you mentioned.)
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

RC Racer
    I just looked up the bike that Slashpede rides, I would agree that it would be better fit for what you mentioned. Nice bike!
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

RC Champion
    I'd look into this bike from Specialized,

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...tain/statusfsr

I ride a Bighit freeridebike. Awesome bike for the money.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    I looked at that bike too. All I need is a job this summer and then I will decide which one to get.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    its not a good DH bike its an XC bike. if you want to ride rough DH trails then get a normal 26" wheel bike and maybe something with at leat 6" of travel. Mtn bikes are not like RC's you don't want to be bottoming all the time. I have an Intense SS2 its got 7" of travel and works very well pedaling and DH its also $5500. a good cost bike for cheap would be a giant reign 2 not a great DH bike but it pedals nice and works good on medium challenging trails.

a used intense uzzi is also a great bike. If you like spcialized the demo 7 is the freeride bike but won't be as good as other to pedal uphill.

RC Qualifier
    When I say downhill, I don't mean I would be doing things like in the Red Bull Rampage. There are times I will probably drive to Winter Park in Colorado to ride some trails as fast as I can without breaking myself, but I don't see myself getting too crazy. Would this bike work pretty good? http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...fsr/endurocomp
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

You're looking to spend 3-4K on a downhill bike when you don't even know if you'll like downhill riding? Buying a nice used downhill bike seems like it would be a far better option (put the rest of the money you saved in the bank for your college fund). I'm not trying to discourage you from from trying something new, don't get me wrong. It just seems like making sure you like downhill riding first is better than dropping that kind of change on a bike that you might only ride twice.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Well, I go mountain biking on trails all the time so I could use a new bike instead of the old hardtail I have. I want to go ride more places so the first bike I mentioned seems like it would be a good bike for everything I want to do with it. I usually ride switchbacks, jumps, banks, and I just go over anything that is on a trail.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Not sure what you're riding now but IMO you should get a good hardtail before you think about getting a full suspension. You can save some money by getting a hardtail and work on your riding skill before stepping up to full suspension. A lot of kids go out and buy an expensive full suspension bike and don't have the fundamentals to ride it. I tore it up on a hardtail for years before buying my first full suspension bike. Get a nice hardtail with a decent 140mm fork and you can do pretty much everything.
    "I have a car just like that from wal-mart"

RC Qualifier
    I bought a Specialized Hardrock Hardtail with my own money a few years ago. Made the money by mowing lawns! I have taken it on trails in California and Oregon. I have shredded down switchbacks, through rivers, hard banked turns, and more. Want to go to Winter Park, Colorado to shred some of those trails next Summer.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Very nice, reminds me of myself! I've been all over winter park (trestle bike park) and it's a great place. If you're looking for a do it all bike Check out something like the stumpy comp evo in 26" flavor. Other great options include the Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Remedy 7 or 8, and Transition Covert 3. Shop around for a bike in the 5-6 inch travel range. 26" wheels are going to be your best bet for a good all around bike.
    "I have a car just like that from wal-mart"

RC Champion
    Giant Glory - decent model variations to suit most budgets