Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    612

    MIP/Tekno my opinion....

    Ok I have 50/50 now. Tekno rears and MIP fronts....

    For me the Tekno's are the winner. Much easier to install and definitely lighter. The MIPs look (only look) more substantial but at the end of the day neither are very visible unless you are inspecting them.

    The Grub screws on the x duty MIPs that hold the shaft to the diff are silly. I can see why people buy the HPI grubs screw with the bar as per the stock mounting screws to replace them. I also think the Tekno shafts will need a lot less maintenance.

    MIP X-Duty: 8/10
    Tekno: 9/10

    As I say just my opinion but if your not already on the MIP bandwagon look at Tekno. They are cheaper and also allow more control of the wheel toe in.

    :-)

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    708
    I have both and prefer mip. My tekno's dog bone always comes out of the cup plus I hate that I can't use aluminum bearing carriers with the teknos. So I have broke a few plastic carriers

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    66
    I have MIP's and love them. The Tekno's advantage is less maintenance and less weight. I think both are great products.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    612
    Do you have longer shocks than stock? I heard about the Tekno shafts dropping out but I have not had that issue since install. There is nowwhere near enough travel with the Traxxas Big Bores to cause that.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    Do you have longer shocks than stock? I heard about the Tekno shafts dropping out but I have not had that issue since install. There is nowwhere near enough travel with the Traxxas Big Bores to cause that.
    Yes I am using the d8 shocks

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    612
    Ah maybe that's why....which is worth me noting as I was looking at them for a future upgrade. :-)

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    970
    You can definitely use aluminum fronts with teknos. You just need different bearings. I don't think anyone has tried rears though. If your dogbone is coming out then your suspension is not set properly for teknos. Teknos are not plug n play IMO. The suspension needs to be tuned. Tekno is a racing company and their parts reflect that.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa Quad Cities
    Posts
    2,465
    I love our mip's. Glad I made the decision to switch to them on all our rc's.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    I have both and prefer mip. My tekno's dog bone always comes out of the cup plus I hate that I can't use aluminum bearing carriers with the teknos. So I have broke a few plastic carriers
    I have MIP on the fronts and Teknos on the rears. You should get the new cup that tekno has. On the old cup, the dog bone will keep coming off due to how it's made. This time round, tekno got it right. The new cup is stronger, made better , and I never had any issues of the dog bone coming out of the cup. Tekno's bearing carriers are beefier, has bigger bearings, and tougher than the aluminum carriers if you ask me. I also did run the traxxas alum carriers, but after trying out tekno's, I will not come back to the alum carriers again.

    Advantages of teknos are: Very light and very easy to maintain.
    Disadvantages of teknos are: I still have to find a flaw on the ones with the new cups.

    Advatages of MIP's are: Beefy, tough, and seems unbreakable.
    Disadvantages of MIP's: Heavy. Needs cleaning after a run on dirt, loose gravel, or mud. Grub screws tend to come off (Solution to this is to use RED loctite on them before installation on the r/c). Rears will rub on rear traxxas aluminum bearing carriers for a while until it smooths it out and yuor all set. No more problems after that.

    I'll try to give a review on both after 20+ runs on 3s.

  10. #10
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,131
    I had the bones come out of the cups on my Teknos twice, both times from impacts shocking enough to deform the arms, letting the parts loose. This is with the "old" style. It last happened about 18 months ago. There was a slight redesign, using the same rear cups on all corners IIRC. Then just for kicks, Tekno lightened the cups by machining great big ovals in them. I'll admit I am running them on a Slash 4x4 and it isn't jacked up high now, bit it was a MT Slash for a good long while. If you add the availability of their excellent 17mm adapters to the mix, the Teknos are a very good choice.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davenport, Iowa Quad Cities
    Posts
    2,465
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    I have MIP on the fronts and Teknos on the rears. You should get the new cup that tekno has. On the old cup, the dog bone will keep coming off due to how it's made. This time round, tekno got it right. The new cup is stronger, made better , and I never had any issues of the dog bone coming out of the cup. Tekno's bearing carriers are beefier, has bigger bearings, and tougher than the aluminum carriers if you ask me. I also did run the traxxas alum carriers, but after trying out tekno's, I will not come back to the alum carriers again.

    Advantages of teknos are: Very light and very easy to maintain.
    Disadvantages of teknos are: I still have to find a flaw on the ones with the new cups.

    Advatages of MIP's are: Beefy, tough, and seems unbreakable.
    Disadvantages of MIP's: Heavy. Needs cleaning after a run on dirt, loose gravel, or mud. Grub screws tend to come off (Solution to this is to use RED loctite on them before installation on the r/c). Rears will rub on rear traxxas aluminum bearing carriers for a while until it smooths it out and yuor all set. No more problems after that.

    I'll try to give a review on both after 20+ runs on 3s.
    I've never cleaned any of mine out lol. Not even after running in mud or water. I prefer blue permatex. But they do hold up extremely well to 4s and 6s abuse.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    5,597
    i use tekno on my Rally GT8. tekno is great for less arm movement (articulation) that way it wont pop out and yes you can use aluminum carriers but it requires a protrac arm with XO-1 carriers, axle stubs and 17mm hexes.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    970
    I broke one of the new cups when they first came out. Front wheel caught the curb at about 40mph. The bone tore through the side of the cup. Surprisingly the bone didn't bend at all. Tekno replaced it for free of course but I went to eBay and bought up some of the old style rear cups. I still believe they are superior in ever single way over MIP.

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Montreal Qc
    Posts
    59
    I went with Tekno, less weight and maintenance. Love them, haven't had a single problem with them. Can't wait to install the center drive shaft. It's sitting on the kitchen. Waiting for my tread lock to arrive. Tekno's are the best choice for me, can't speak for anyone else. It's really nice to have options though.
    Did someone say......MUD!!!

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    633
    Since I had bad luck with cups in the past I went with MIPs and I'm very pleased with them. I run in sand everyday and I just blow the truck off and occasionally shoot a little spray lube on them. I check the Traxxas through pins (not grub screws) on the dif outputs after several runs, as I only keep them on with blue loctite, and that's it. I like the beefier Traxxas pins as they're a little longer and stouter at the through end than the HPI's. The splined axles just keep going.
    The rears are almost a year old (front was put in later) and I run every day on 3S. They may be heavier, but they're pretty bulletproof and that's more important for me (basher). They've also survived collisions with telephone poles that destroyed other brands I've tried. In a year I've replaced 2 shear pins on the couplings and that's it.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    612
    What's the part number for the traxxas pins? I would like some for the set. :-) overall I think I'm happy with the 50/50 split.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    708
    Traxxas part 5145 are then pins

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    612
    Thank you. Much appreciated. :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •