RC Enthusiast

Question What Charger Would You Recommend?

Thunder AC6 or Duratrax Onyx 235

RC Champion
    The Onyx 235 is highly popular and guys seem happy with it. I don't know anything about Thunder chargers, but the low price makes me wonder...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Competitor
    I have the Imax B6AC+ Balance Charger, which is almost exactly the same as the Thunder AC6. I have had few problems charging a 5000mAh 30c 3s Sky LiPo battery, and recommend these chargers. Both of these are half the price of the Duratrax Onyx 235. However, I don't have a Duratrax Onyx 235, so I can't say which one is better. Others have the Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus Charger, but I don't have that one either.

Links and prices on amazon:
    Imax B6AC+ - $43.98
    Thunder AC6 - $44.95
    Duratrax Onyx 235 - $89.98
    Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus - $77.97

RC Qualifier
    I recently bought a onyx 235. I really like this charger. I use an external power supply so I can charge my 8000 mah lipo at 8a. I also use a elecrifly triton eq and like that charger as well. The 235 includes a lot of connectors, and the unit is very compact.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Racer
    I have the onyx 235 as well, works well for me. Wish it had a storage mode though :/
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Qualifier
    if you are looking for a charger for lipos then i would highly recommend the icharger 206b.you need a power supply but theres a guy here that can build you one for like 40 bucks.i had the passport and the traxxas ez peak and they were ok but i wanted to do like 4 batteries at a time and i went threw tons of threads and it ended up being the icharger 206b and a parraboard and a power suplly i think i'm into it for little under 200 bucks and i'll never need another charger.if you have any questions look up jimmy neutron he was a huge help and a wealth of knowledge.i said for lipos but it will charge all batteries i just only use lipos

RC Enthusiast
    I have the Duratrax Oynx 235 - happy with it. However I wish I would have bought the Duratrax Oynx 245 for only $20 bucks more. The 245 will charge two batteries at once.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cjhike View Post
    I have the Duratrax Oynx 235 - happy with it. However I wish I would have bought the Duratrax Oynx 245 for only $20 bucks more. The 245 will charge two batteries at once.
    Read up on the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus. Tons of features, and can't beat it for $80. I love mine.

RC Champion
    I prefer Dynamite and Hitec. If you are going with the Onyx235, then I'd get the 245 for a bit more. You will be happier in the long run.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

stay away from the thunder power ac6 its a cooker in short. Go for the onyx 235 or a dynamite passport ultra 8amp. If you have some extra cash to spend then look into the icharger line either 106b or 206b(more than youll ever need for a long while) as mentioned you have to have a seperate power supply but you can buy a combo from progressive rc of any line they have. worth it and great support as well from there. good luck with your choice.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    I've got the Onyx 245. Love it. Works great. I like to be able to head out with at least two packs. I wanted something affordable. I really had my eye on the Dynamite dual charger. One day maybe.
    Did someone say......MUD!!!

RC Champion
    I just got my hitec. Great charger it's bringing up my batteries that my other PC of junk just about toasted.

RC Qualifier
    IMPORTANT! I bought the onyx 245 the first day I got my mini revo cause it could run two batteries and it charged all battery types, good choice. 1.5 years later I'm wanting to run 4s in my Castle powered pede and the charger will only do 2 and 3s. There are only 4 charge settings so your not going to be able to charge at 1c, you have to go over or under. If your ever going to max out your pede or buy a big revo you need a higher voltage charger. Great easy to use charger, doesn't discharge or set for storage voltage though.

I run 2 2s packs in series to get 4s but they are both 5000mah so its a bit on the heavy side driving it.

RC Champion
    Same issue with my friends who bought the 245's. Glad I went with Dynamite with a Hitec on my hit list next!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Competitor
    I know guys, I just couldn't break the bank on that one. For storage, I run the battery til low voltage cut off. then charge it about half way, and unplug. I don't plan on going over 3S. (Won't run more than 2S in my P4de) All the bigger scale Traxxas' I'm into run 2 packs. two 3S in series makes 6S. (Hope I got that right) More than enough juice. Not defending it. Just saying it's option.
    Did someone say......MUD!!!