RC poster

Angry Stampede runtime/Whining noise. Traxxas phone tech support is a joke!

I am new to the hobby and would like some help without being treated like a complete idiot. I have ran my truck maybe 10 times. From the first time I ran it (2 weeks ago) until now it seems like the run time is shorter and shorter. I charge the battery (DuraTrax LiPo 11.1V 5000mAh 25C) until the 3 lights on the charger are green. I haven't over charged it. I ran it after charging it for 4hrs and the truck only ran about 10mins. I called Traxxas Tech Support and the guy I talked to on the phone was a punk. He says that 10 to 15 minutes is normal running time and that I either need to shop around for a better battery or change my driving habbits. REALLY? I was driving the truck in a big open shop just doing donuts here and there, no real high speeds, no jumps, just cruising really. I noticed that the ESC is blinking a red light? Wheels still turn but no throttle. None of the components seem to be hot. Anyone have any idea of what is going on here? I recently noticed that when I ran it lastnight and today that it seems to be louder kind of a harsh whining noise. I researched that the truck might need a slipper clutch adjustment? I mentioned the noise to the Traxxas punk on the phone and he said that I am not lubricating my bearings enough or it could be the motor mount? I mentioned the slipper clutch adjustment to him and he said 'Yea, it could be that too.' The guy was no help at all and seemed to be upset with every question I asked. Do they not do troubleshooting over the phone? I mean I'm lost here and I spent enough money on this truck and I haven't ran it hard at all. I would appreciate any help and pointers!

RC Competitor
    Hi,
    Welcome to our forum.
    You need to calm down, a peace of friendly advise from a member.
    Please go back and read the forum rules. You need to be more specific. Help pinpoint where the problem is coming from. I also think you need to apologize, (to everyone Traxxas included) the people here are knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and resourceful.

I've had my P4de for a couple of months. It's been great, but I have a lot of experience in the hobby. Believe me when I say there where times that I wanted to set my RC on fire. There's a learning curve. This is my first brushless electric. I've had to do a lot of reading considering I come from a nitro background. Two different worlds.

Anyhow, I hope this message gets through, I think once you gain more knowledge and experience, you'll love it. The P4de is a great little RC. With a few upgrades, it'll be pretty much bulletproof.
    Did someone say......MUD!!!

RC poster
    I didn't mean for this post to come off as being mad or mad at Traxxas. I just thought the guy could have been just a little more helpful and friendly thats all. I was not wanting to come off as 'Traxxas Bashing' at all. I chose Traxxas for a reason they are the best in the business and top of the line. I do enjoy my Stampede very much when it is working properly. I just thought it would last a while longer before having this kind of trouble. I will look over my owners manual, whatever I need to do. Maybe I have a bad melon? I thought this forum would be a way of finding out or maybe it is just normal.

RC Competitor
    What charger are you using? If it's the stock charger that only charges at 800mah. 4 Hours charge time on a drained battery wouldn't be long enough to fully recharge it. That would help explain the run times.

You also mentioned seeing a blinking red light. If your ESC is setup for a Lipo battery, you should be seeing a green light. Sounds like your ESC is set for a Nimh battery and not the lipo you are running. Check your manual on how to set it for lipo and LVC.

Did your truck come stock with a 7 cell nimh and you switched to lipo or did it come with a lipo?

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    If your esc is set up for lipo use the led will be green as soon as you turn it on. The esc is obviously set to lipo mode if you are getting a blinking red light. The blinking red light indicates that the esc has entered LVC (low voltage cutoff) which means the pack is discharged and needs to be charged. I have the exact same dtx lipo and with a full charge I get around 25-30 mins of run time. This leads me to believe that either the charger you are using is not fully charging your lipo, or the whining sound you are hearing is some type of binding in the drivetrain, or seized bearing in the motor or wheels, or anything causing more resistance which is making the motor work harder and shortening your run time. you're going to have to remove the motor and make sure you can spin it freely by hand. Then with the motor out of the truck, check to make sure all wheels are spinning freely and easily. with the motor still out of the truck, hold one wheel while spinning the other side and listen and feel for any strange noises or resistance in the transmission, it should all spin easily by hand.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Welcome to the forum!!!

Lots of good people with advice here. If you don't think you got the help you needed from the tech call back and try another one. If not give us a whirl here.

Have you done any running in wet or moist areas? If so you need to check for seized or shot bearings. Shart from the wheels in. Spin and see if there is any unusual binding. I'd split the truck in half, this will help you out way more. Unbolt the rear end. 2 top and 2 bottom screws, then start spinning the wheels and inspecting. Check the bearing in the motor mount (where the slipper rests). All this may not be the issue but at least rule these out. If you are hearing some whining it could also be your slipper. I'd start by tightening it an 1/8 of a turn clockwise. If not you can tighten all the way down and go counter clock 1/2-3/4 a turn then check it and see. Another think check your gear mesh while you are there. Do the gears have all their teeth and still look good?

If you do or ever do run in wet conditions its mandatory to inspect all your bearings to see if they are running freely. Water does a number on them.

What kind of charger do you have? Does it balance charge the pack? If you plan on sticking with the hobby might need to look into something that charges faster and takes care of the pack. Don't skimp out here. It will be worth it in the end.

Hopefully this helps ya out.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    I have same problem running the 3s lipo. My truck don't like it for some reason,but with that said when running on the 3s my motor or both my esc and motor get so hot I can barley touch it. So far now that I went to a 2s lipo everything seems to be ok. The guys on this forum are great and told me on a stock truck with 3s I need to go to a smaller pinion and fans to run properly on 3s. I got the exact same problem you have mention but only on 3 s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman00 View Post
    I have same problem running the 3s lipo. My truck don't like it for some reason,but with that said when running on the 3s my motor or both my esc and motor get so hot I can barley touch it. So far now that I went to a 2s lipo everything seems to be ok. The guys on this forum are great and told me on a stock truck with 3s I need to go to a smaller pinion and fans to run properly on 3s. I got the exact same problem you have mention but only on 3 s.
    Yep like you noted i'd gear down a couple of teeth and check temps. If you moved up to a 4-pole motor most of your heat issues would go away and wow that thing would scoot too!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by redraider_51 View Post
    I noticed that the ESC is blinking a red light? Wheels still turn but no throttle. None of the components seem to be hot. Anyone have any idea of what is going on here?
    This is most likely low voltage detection (low voltage cutoff or LVC). It means that your battery has a low voltage, or in other words, it is fully drained and needs to be charged again. I would suggest a better charger than the one that comes with the truck because the stock chargers tend to take longer to charge and it seems that yours is not charging it fully, which would cause short run times. I suggest the Imax B6AC+ Balance Charger or similar. It charges quick and I have had few problems with it. $45 on amazon. I have a similar battery to yours, a 5000mAh 30c 3s Sky LiPo and depending on driving, I get from 20min to 30min of run time.

A side note-- running the Stampede 4x4 on stock gearing with 3s will quickly overheat your motor, in my experience. The ESC will go into thermal protection if it gets too hot, which looks very similar to low voltage detection-- blinking red lights. Cooling fans on the ESC and motor, a smaller pinion, and taking frequent breaks will fix this issue.

I recently noticed that when I ran it lastnight and today that it seems to be louder kind of a harsh whining noise.
    I would guess that this could be from a loose slipper clutch, bad gear mesh on pinion and spur gear (possibly rounding teeth off gears), or bad bearings.

He said that I am not lubricating my bearings enough or it could be the motor mount? I mentioned the slipper clutch adjustment to him and he said 'Yea, it could be that too.'
    It seems that you were already hinted at what the problems could be, but did not understand because of the way he said it. The things that he mentioned are the three things that I just mentioned above: bad bearings, bad motor mount implying a bad gear mesh, or a loose slipper clutch.

RC Racer
    If you bought your truck from a hobby shop then you might want to take it up there and see if they can help. Most of the shops i frequent are always willing to help someone out. I've never even been charged for any kind of service, just the parts that were needed (and some stuff for free if it was a used part or one just laying around). I don't know if you have access to a LHS (Local Hobby Shop) but the ones ive been to the people are generally great. And just a side note: Everytime I've called Traxxas its been a good experience. I guess you must have talked to a bad apple or whatever the case was. I would call them back.
    Rustler + Lipo + Dirt = FUN!

RC Qualifier
    +1 for traxxas customer support hotline. If you called me as ticked off as your post sounded I would have a tough time being overly helpful to you too. Go punch a pillow and call them back. I've called lots of tech hotline's in my day and none are as good as traxxas. They aren't just reading cue cards in india that you can barely understand. I've had them help me with the big learning curve with these toys we expect insane performance from and not break ever. Try out the other suggestions, you don't have a lemon fyi
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-09-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Language

RC Competitor
    Could also be the bearing adapter on the slipper. It's made of plastic. Mine started to melt as soon as I went from Nimh to 2s lipo. Which in turn will cause your slipper to loosen. Like I mentioned before, great bunch we have here. You should check out some of the members rides. There are a lot of interesting ways to keep your P4de running great.

Like Braaap58 said, no lemons here. Only awesomeness.
    Did someone say......MUD!!!

RC Qualifier
    I haven't had to use them in months because I've taken the time to study the manual and posts here and can fix anything myself now, but in the beginning I used them a lot. I will say they probably have the BEST customer support for ANY PRODUCT, not just RC. Take the advice of the people here and learn, and you will be much happier when you learn recognize a problem (frequently operator error or improper setup) and know how to fix it - and you won't even need your LHS or Traxxas to tell you how. You made the best choice. You just haven't learned that yet. Previous non Traxxas truck I had was a nightmare and wound up being scrapped as you could never get parts for it.

WOW......runtime is all about the battery and the Traxxas support tech explained that to you or at least it sounds as if he did and for his efforts you come on the Traxxas forum and call him a punk and say that Traxxas tech support is a joke?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    I had some time over the weekend to do some tinkering on my Pede. Heres what I found and I think seems to be going on with my truck.
    Most of the time I run my pede on a slick and dusty shop floor and I believe that when Im running it around there it is sliding around and spinning the motor so fast because the tires are not getting good traction causing the motor to over heat. Causing the stalling with the blinking ESC light. Possibility? I am also running 3s lipo on stock gearing. Do I need to change gearing or batteries? I still want to be able to haulbutt, but I also dont want to ruin my truck. I also charge the 3s with a stock charger. Any ideas on charging options? I took the advise above and I went ahead and split the truck apart, removed the motor mount checked the bearing-good. Checked for binding in the power train and found none. Checked motor-spun freely. I went ahead and took the slipper out-the pads look good with plenty of life left, I buffed the disc lightly with sand paper, put it back in, and adjusted the clutch ran the nut all the way down and then one turn out. I ran the truck outside my house (Street/yard/sidewalk) right after and it ran very well, and the noise was gone for a little while then it returned. Is this a normal sound? Or had the slipper came out of adjustment? Should this slipper be upgraded for 3s lipo or is my adjustment possibly wrong? Thanks guys for the help, I'm feeling more comfortable with this truck, diagnosing, and tearing it apart!

Slipper should be tightened all the way snug, then backed off 1/8-1/4 turn. If you're running 3s lipo, then 1/8 turn will be better. When I ran the stock Talons tires on 3s, I ran the slipper as tight as it could go because they don't have much traction.

If the truck stops running and the esc is blinking a red light, then it has entered into LVC and the pack needs to be recharged. The stock charger is meant for charging the stock pack and is not meant to charge a pack with more capacity, time to look into upgrading the charger

Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 02-21-2013 at 09:19 PM.

RC Racer
    Sounds like it was overhearing due to the shop floor. Get some fans on the esc and motor since the p4de gets hot fast.

I haven't a clue why it would be so loud. The p4de isn't exactly quiet but you may want to check your gear mesh (how tight/loose the pinion is to the spur). If its a little loose it will get louder.

Just keep tinkering with your truck till you get it how you want it. If you jack something up just replace it. That's what is awesome with hobby grade Rc cars. Yeah!!!

Rustler + Lipo + Dirt = FUN!

RC Competitor
    I bought a traxxas ez peak plus charger and they work great. It can charge or discharge many types of batteries and storage charge too. If u have a voltage meter check your batteries volts when u are done charging to see if it is full.

RC Champion
    Dont tell them you used a 3s, cuz those are ONLY for speed runs, yet Traxxas doesnt disclose thisuntil you let them know you use one.
    Last edited by QYKSLVR; 02-25-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    Everything overpowered...

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Dont tell them you used a 3s, cuz those are ONLY for speed runs, yet Traxxas doesnt disclose thisuntil you let them know you use one.
    This is the first I've heard of this. I would think that this would be stated somewhere in the manual, no? Are you saying that they will not honor the warranty because of this? Please elaborate.

RC Champion
    I called today because of the ESC in my Rally.
    I am unsure on whether or not they will cover for 3s use. But the "Rep" told me 3s was for speed runs only... What??

I bought the car 2/18 from Tower, not even a full week ago. I changed the connectior to Deans being thats what I use, and am more comfortable with it. Ive not even put 5 runs on the car, and after about 10 or so minutes, it hits Stage 2 thermal protection.

My part is excluded because I changed the connector. Seriously?? Its been a week, and your part failed. Now you want me to pay $55 + shipping for a new one...... Yea. right.
    Everything overpowered...

What is the temp of the esc when it goes into stage 2 thermal? I'm just wondering if it is actually heating up enough to cause the thermal protection to kick in or if it's just a glitch causing it to trip. Even if the rep told you that 3s is for speed runs only, i dont think running 3s would void the warranty in any way. Strange why he would say 3s is for speed runs only, especially considering that taller gearing is even worse for heating up the vxl-3s when running 3s lipo no matter how you drive it.

Changing the connector voiding the warranty is in the manual though, so that one would be tough to argue.

It doesn't make much sense because on that same page, they state that all batteries will need to be changed over to Traxxas connectors. Mixing up the polarity on the battery connector will have the same negative effect as mixing up the polarity on the esc's battery connector. There's a catch-22 if I ever saw one! Looks like that one is based more on marketing their high current connectors rather than the health of the esc. So I guess if your battery connector on the esc breaks during the warranty period, you'd have to send the esc in to Traxxas to have it repaired in order to retain the rest of the warranty. That's too bad man, sorry to hear about the bad luck.

On the other hand, welcome to my world! Lol. Up until just recently, warranty repair on any of my Traxxas products was a fantasy. The cost of shipping alone makes it not worthwhile to send in and the return trip shipping times plus repair time could kill off an entire summer of bashing. My warrantied part would have to fail on the first day in order to get shipped there while still under warranty! Haha.

Its a little better now though because I just found out the other day that Best Buy electronics offers in-store warranty service, so as long as i buy my Traxxas stuff from them and keep the receipt, now I can just take the part back to any of their locations in Canada (doesn't even have to be the store i bought it from) and they'll hook me up with the replacement part instantly. They also allow online orders to be shipped to the store location nearest me, and guess how much you get charged for shipping? Nothing, it's free of charge to have it shipped to the store. Pretty sweet huh? The LHS may as well just pack his bags now.

Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 02-26-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Whoops, double post... haven't done that in a while!
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 02-26-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    A couple of things that come to mind:

3S might be too much if it's running inside. You mentioned it's on a shop floor, and being slippery helps because you don't load the motor as much trying to accelerate, due to the wheels spinning. Still, 3S is more suited for flat-out speed runs and not so much any kind of stop-and-go, or slowing down and speeding up. For your running conditions, a 2S might work better.

Sometimes batteries need to cycle several times before they reach their full capacity. You may need to charge and discharge it a few more times before it gets to where it gives you more run time.

Check it against another battery with the same specs. It's also possible there's an issue with the battery or connector.

Check temperatures. Where is it getting hot? Battery? Connector? Motor? Ideally, get an infrared temp gun or use our telemetry setup to read temps.

This whole thread has been full of good info, keep working at it and you will be happy with that truck.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Shart from the wheels in.
    Funniest typo ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wheelman View Post
    Funniest typo ever.
    That it is! Lol

Regardless, it's +5 infraction points to both of you because posting Acronyms containing filtered words is considered language abuse. hahaha! J/k Gotcha!

You know what, I would have taken the infraction on that just because the sheer hilarity would have been worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wheelman View Post
    Funniest typo ever.
    Sound like I have some sort of accent, huh? lol I'm only from Texas.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Sound like I have some sort of accent, huh? lol I'm only from Texas.
    That word is funny in any accent.

I used to pick up hazardous waste from the chemical plants down around Deer Park. I doubt any deer could survive there nowadays though.

RC Qualifier
    I ran it after charging it for 4hrs and the truck only ran about 10mins. I called Traxxas Tech Support and the guy I talked to on the phone was a punk. He says that 10 to 15 minutes is normal running time and that I either need to shop around for a better battery or change my driving habbits.
    After charging it for 4 hours, given that you already unplugged the battery from the charger, did you leave the battery sitting in one corner for another few hours?

I asked because when I first bought my pede, I charged my 2s lipo battery for 5 hrs (using the stock traxxas charger) and went bashing as soon as the battery was fully charged. Run time was between 20-25 minutes. Anyways, I got fed up of the charge time so I invested on a better charger. Now that I had a better charger, I had the habit of fully charging my 2s lipo pack (Just takes one hour this time) and leaving it in the closet for another 5-6 hours before using it. When I plugged the 2s lipo pack on my pede, my total bashing time was less than 10 minutes! I then learned my lesson not to leave a fully charged 2s lipo pack in a corner since it's already discharging at a slow rate. I really think leaving the 2s lipo battery out in a corner for another 5-6 hours may have discharged the pack by 50%! Run time was terribly shortened. This is the reason why I go bashing as soon as the battery gets fully charged.

Also check your ESC to make sure it's on LIPO mode.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 03-05-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Corrected typos...

@stampede_fanatic, Lipo cells have a self discharge rate of approximately 5% per month, so if you're losing 50% capacity in 5-6 hours there is something seriously wrong with the pack and the last place I'd be storing that pack is in the closet.*

@richardm0025, If the Esc was in nimh mode, it would show a solid red led. The flashing red led indicates that the esc has entered into LVC, which only activates when in lipo mode. I would think that the most accurate info regarding a Traxxas product would come from the die hard Traxxas fans as its the brand they are most familiar with and have the most experience with. I also don't see anything wrong with being a die hard Traxxas fan, as many of us are... This is the Traxxas forum after all.

No one has mentioned the 3s esc lvc issue...

Do I get a cookie?

The first post sounds to me like the esc is going into early lvc on 3s, which has been known to happen a lot.

You could call back, explain to a good cs rep that you think your esc is going into lvc early when using 3s. Most likely they will have you send it in for repair... Or, you could pic up a low voltage alarm for a few bucks (less $ or equal to shipping it to traxxas), put the esc into nimh mode, and the alarm will start screaming when you should stop using juice to save the battery. The battery could also be a dud, but most likely its the early lvc issue that a bunch of these vxl esc's experience on 3s.

There are bad apples in every tree. It is a shame you got 1 with a worm in it. Call back and I bet you will get great service. I had a bad apple on the trx cs line, and called right back and someone helpful was ready to do his job and help me 8)
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    @stampede_fanatic, Lipo cells have a self discharge rate of approximately 5% per month, so if you're losing 50% capacity in 5-6 hours there is something seriously wrong with the pack and the last place I'd be storing that pack is in the closet.*
    WOW! Didn't know that lipo cells have a self discharge rate of approximately 5% per month. The run time of 10 minutes only happens if I leave the pack aside for 5-6 hrs in the closet after getting a full charge. On the other hand, when I go bashing as soon as the battery gets fully charged, the pack lasts for 20-25 minutes.
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!