RC Enthusiast

proline trenchers

i just got a set of 3.8 proline trenchers for my revo and there massive compared to the stockers, so im a bit worried about my gears.
    i was wondering if the traxxas forward only gears will be able to handle the extra grip?

RC Champion
    gear down your transmission, close ratio with 14/38 or 14/40 would be much better... your gears is not the issue when you have an increase in tire size like that... your clutch will burn out faster, runner a lower ratio gear will help minimize that...
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kgombe1 View Post
    gear down your transmission, close ratio with 14/38 or 14/40 would be much better... your gears is not the issue when you have an increase in tire size like that... your clutch will burn out faster, runner a lower ratio gear will help minimize that...
    Great advice kgombe1. Always enjoy your input.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for the advice kgombe1

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pwd_dan View Post
    i just got a set of 3.8 proline trenchers for my revo and there massive compared to the stockers, so im a bit worried about my gears.
    i was wondering if the traxxas forward only gears will be able to handle the extra grip?
    I got a set of Proline Mashers and they are 6.60" tall almost a full inch taller than stock. To compensate i installed a 40t spur and a 14t CB and my Revo went back to its normally snappy self. After running the big tires and the shorter gear set up i put the stock tires back on and its a tire spinning machine now lol. I got a set of Proline Badlands on order which are even shorter than stock, i may have to gear back up for the Badlands lol.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Competitor
    HELLO my trencher Xs came in a week ago I have pretty much upgraded everything but trans and drive train, i am also worried, but i still have reverse in , but i already went to 40 tooth spur but no bell change, gonna be easy on it to start then see what happens.HOPE i don,t start breaking things .

RC Champion
    get rid of reverse

RC Competitor
    u say get rid of reverse why?because u don,t like or because it won,t do well with tires just asking ,i don,t race just bash ,kept reverse in because my 7 year old daughter likes to play with truck ,it is good for her i just tune down speed and she is good to go.and likes to bash

RC Champion
    reverse is usually the weakest link in the trans. but if you have no problems with it keep it...

RC Competitor
    Ya i was gonna take it out but ,daughter does use , i have not run truck with these trencher Xs ,waiting for it to warm up a little but in mean time tring to figure out if this is to much tire for truck.been looking at different threads for answears THANKS

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stang2005 View Post
    HELLO my trencher Xs came in a week ago I have pretty much upgraded everything but trans and drive train, i am also worried, but i still have reverse in , but i already went to 40 tooth spur but no bell change, gonna be easy on it to start then see what happens.HOPE i don,t start breaking things .
    I have big tires on mine (6.60x3.75 Proline Mashers) I already had steel axles and switched to the 40t spur and 14t CB after putting the Mashers on to get my off the line pep back. I still have reverse in my Revo and havent broke any thing yet. I hear lots say get rid of reverse but why? If youre mindful not to shift while in motion then there shouldnt be a problem. I like it because im a cripple and sometimes reverse is all i need to get out of a jam instead of hobbling in pain across a field.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Competitor
    THANKS ,I was one also to get rid of reverse,but kept with daughter she uses it alot ,i use it once i awhile also, saves me alot of walking, so back to tires ,i do not have the steel axles ,but have upgraged slipper ,and clutch and also added the 80 size motor saver filter , and did put in losi 3.4 carb on so not sure what to expect ,as far as engine performance ,and if truck can handle these monster tires with the upgrades .

RC Racer
    I'm running 18/38 gearing and it still flips over!!!!!!
    If it ain't broke, fix it till it is! BB Revo

RC Competitor
    Well i am running i believe the stock 14 tooth bell with 40 tooth but just read 3.4 losi carb will not fit with the 40 tooth that i have on now ,i also have 38 and 36 will now try 38 ,but with trencher Xs wanted as much torque as possible ,have u broke anything with your set up.

RC Racer
    Not yet. Gonna try a 20t bell when my buku clutch gets here
    If it ain't broke, fix it till it is! BB Revo

RC Enthusiast
    i was looking at buku clutches today, thinking about upgrading from the traxxas heavy duty i have now.
    is it ok to just change the spur gear and leave the stock clutch bell on?

RC Racer
    i have the big joes and i have revers i run 14/40 i love it i never burned anything up in my trans just blew a rear diff. that 40 tooth spur may have somthing to do with it because i ran 14/38 and was fine with that for a long time just wanted more punch so i went to 40 other then the diff iv been good and i love how it fells at 14/40 nice and snappy

RC Competitor
    Thanks ,for info im running 14/40 also,thinking about change to 38 ,read somewhere 3.4 losi carb would not fit with 40 but it fit fine for me little tight but still good,I want more torque for big tires ,i also threw on ths tuned pipe so little worried if drive train will hold still debating on tring 38 to see what the difference is . How has it held up since going back to 40 and was there much difference between 38-40.

RC Racer
    i like 40 better more snap off the line and out of the turns i put 50000k diff fluid in after i rebuilt the diff and it seem to give me a little more punch outa turns aswell and i still run the stock carb on my truck so the 40 tooth wasn't a issue... but over all seems to be holding up just fine and im diggin the 40 tooth

RC Competitor
    thanks im gonna keep 40 also ,liked better then 36and 38 i had in at one time,with all the upgrades to truck ,think gonna run it with my stock tires first just to see how it runs with all upgrades, then will try trencher Xs if all well,I have a new os 21 tm to drop in when weather gets better for break in ,this will be when concerned about drive train ,new motor ths pipe big 80 size motor saver air filter upgrade slipper and clutch ,plus other ,but did not do steel axles or any other to drvie train or trans.