Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    540

    Charging and Hot Hot Hot

    Just took my Power Cell 8.4 Volt 3000MAH 7 Cell battery that came with my truck off the charger, and I am pretty sure I just burned my hand. I looked and the plastic wrapping on the battery looks like it started melting in some spots. NOT SAFE!!! I also noticed that right before the wired go in under the black cap thing on the battery, the plastic is ripped and the copper wire is exposed. I don't know if I should try and fix the wire, then wrap the battery back in a plastic wrap that I have seen people use for covering batteries. SO, is there a way I can fix it or is the battery as good as dead?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    That pack is toast, my friend. Bad NiMh cells can explode with great force when charging, so you don't want to mess with it.

    What charger were you using, and what amperage were you charging at? There may have been a bad cell in that sucker, which would increase the resistance in the pack and cause overheating.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    540
    I charged it on my little ProphetPlus Charger at 4 amps I think it was. That was the first time I noticed the damaged wire though.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    4 amps is actually a little high for that pack (even though on my Traxxas NiMh it says you can go up to 4A). Charging at 1C (3A) might have extended its life a bit more, but when a cell decides to give up the ghost there's not much you can do. That's probably what happened here...

    On the other hand, suppose the pack shorted out because of the wire. In that case, it's still toast because of the extreme heat it had to endure. I'd still throw it away, sir... Sorry for the loss.
    Last edited by zippogeek; 02-07-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    189
    I got my Rustler yesterday and charged the included NiMH @ 3A and it was warm for the whole charge but got pretty hot in the last 10 mins. It also runs really hot in the VXL and at the end of my run today it measured 170f in pretty cool conditions outside, around 20 celcius. I don't think ill be using it much longer and will break the LiPo out.

    The NiMH also seems to make the ESC run hotter and thought that because the ESC is basically sitting on top of a really hot battery that this could be where some of the extra heat to the ESC is coming from.

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpot View Post
    I got my Rustler yesterday and charged the included NiMH @ 3A and it was warm for the whole charge but got pretty hot in the last 10 mins. It also runs really hot in the VXL and at the end of my run today it measured 170f in pretty cool conditions outside, around 20 celcius. I don't think ill be using it much longer and will break the LiPo out.

    The NiMH also seems to make the ESC run hotter and thought that because the ESC is basically sitting on top of a really hot battery that this could be where some of the extra heat to the ESC is coming from.
    If I'm not mistaken, that's a 3000 mah pack, correct?
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, that's a 3000 mah pack, correct?
    Correct, the one that came with the Rustler VXL.

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    Man, that's pretty hot. A brand-new pack shouldn't get that toasty. You might have a bad cell like the original poster.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York State: Snowbelt
    Posts
    747
    My packs in my summit get hand burning go everytime I charge them, but they have been through snow, water, mud, sand, and all that happy stuff.
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    189
    So i switched to 2S LiPo and charged it at 5A. The battery was barely warm when it came off charge and didn't hit over 80f on the same surface i was taking the 8.4v NiMH on. The ESC and Motor also ran much cooler. Impressed!!

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpot View Post
    So i switched to 2S LiPo and charged it at 5A. The battery was barely warm when it came off charge and didn't hit over 80f on the same surface i was taking the 8.4v NiMH on. The ESC and Motor also ran much cooler. Impressed!!
    Glad to hear it. Everything is better with LiPo.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •