RC Racer

Tekin 2250kv summit

I finally finished installing my tekin rx8. The lhs only had the 18t pinion, seems to handle ok with it. I only ran it for about 30 mins before the midnight chill got to me I need to pick up a temp gun tomorrow and I will post up some pics also. I can't beleive the power of this thing, I couldn't remove the smile on my face after the first outing. It also crawls well, I finally triumphed over the 3 steep steps in front of my apartment

RC Champion
    18t nice! With the stock spur, normal sized tires and a charged set lipos at 4s, that's about 40mph!

RC Qualifier
    I recently installed same motor. Ran a 16T and thought it would be too big. DEF can take more T! Bashed hard for about 45 min and temp was only 95. I may be going to 18T as well. Just like you,....BIG SMILES the whole time. Best upgrade ever.

RC Racer
    My soldering isn't the greatest but here are the pics.

RC Champion
    The soldering IS pretty rough to be honest, what you need to do is invest $10 in one of those helping arm things and make sure you use a high-powered soldering iron, but based on the pictures that should work fine, perhaps you could put heat shrink around the wires though?

That motor really looks gorgeous in there, as though it were made for that chassis! The ESC is much smaller than I thought it was based on the pictures I've seen, that's a plus! Before you lose it, it looks like there is a screw loose on the top of the fan?

Get a video of that thing running!

RC Champion
    What kind of solder were u using. The stuff you get from the local automotive or hardware store is crap. U need to get some from a electronics store with high silver content. And it's about the size of a pin. It works great and needs less heat

RC Qualifier
    You need some dabs of this:

PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    Whats the max and constant amps on that motor/esc?
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Racer
    The screw that looks loose is the monting screw for the fan that is included with the esc. I picked up some 60/40 solder today to repair a broken dx6i switch. It seems to flow alot easier, and has a melting point way lower than what I was using. That liquid tape looks good, I may try some out after I redo the soldering. I have read that the rx8 can pull around 125-150 amps and still keep decent temps.

RC Racer
    I got the hitec 7950th installed a couple days ago. Had to drill a larger hole in the servo horn, and mod the traxxas cover to fit. Still no the best fit, I may cut out a peice of lexan and make one. Its running pretty good so far, although I am wondering if I am drawing to much power. It cuts out around 70 yards or so, anyone know if a glitch buster would help?

RC Champion
    A glitch buster is a good idea anyway when you go to a single powerful servo, the ESCs on these cars have a BEC that's generally "just good enough" for what you get, which is totally acceptable. But when you throw a power hungry servo in there, it's really hard on the whole system, and you would get better performance from a $2 capacitor anyway!

As for the 70 yards thing, is this only after installing the new servo?

RC Racer
    It always had some trouble, but after installing the servo its gotten worse. It may just depend on where I run it, because i had it at a trail the other day and distance didn't seem to matter. Before any of this was installed I extended the antenna which seemed to help.

RC Racer
    Well I got my clear body painted, turned out pretty good. I also installed the t-bone arm and chassis skids. I am not that happy with how the chassis skid fits. Anyone know how to get it a bit more flush with the chassis?

RC poster
    Buy an extra slipper clutch! It will be going out tomorrow!

RC Champion
    If it wasn't adjusted correctly its lifespan is certainly shortened. I don't understand where this idea that brushless motors destroy things where as brushed motors do not. It's the same thing, brushless usually has the ability to spin FASTER but doesn't mean it's any harder on the system.

RC Racer
    Thank you for jinxing it, it most likely will now. Although I won't even be driving the summit tomorrow, my rally needs its new motor tested. I also have a modded emaxx brake disc for a spare.... On a more serious note I have ran the same aluminum slipper for about 15 runs with the tekin, its doing good. I have broken one front center drive shaft after pushing full throttle through a jump and a set of a-arms after plowing into a curb... After that bit of carnage, its still completely worth it. GO BRUSHLESS, AND FEEL THE POWER!!

RC Qualifier
    I love my summit with the MMM/2200kv combo, even though its not sensored it does quite well for me as I don't do much crawling, gotta love brushless power lol.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC poster
    i had the most aggravating time with freaky servo issues, i thought i had purchased bad ones on ebay, i hand built mine from all new parts aside from the rx8 and 1900 t-8, i just got a replacement steering servo today and it changed nothing so i decided to pull the red wire from the esc's receiver plug and ran a battery pack to ch5 and bam the servos work fast and correct. so i was wondering if you had any issues to overcome like this? i assumed that the bec on the rx8 couldn't power that many servos but now i wonder, but i didn't go back in the thread, i was so aggrivated that when i found a similar setup i just had to get to askin

RC Racer
    Its powering the servo fine, it just doesn't have the greatest range. I installed a novak glitch buster today, but its to cold to go out and test it. A bec would be nice so I could run the servo at 7.4v. What exactly was the servo doing?