RC poster

my heart is in augusta

My wife just bought me a LIPO Summit in Augusta, GA I just bought a Onyx 245 charger and 2 7600 Mah batteries I charged the batteries, but I am in Charleston, SC and my Summit is in Augusta. I got to get home for the weekend!!!

RC Racer
    If she bought you a Summit then while you were gone she must have been bad and trying to suck up! LOL J/K. Congrats you will love it!

RC poster
    Nah, I am away at work right now giving tune-ups to ice cream machines on the coast right now. I will get home for the weekend and then back out to work again, but now I have a new RC to play with. I don't know how much driving I am going to get done with the Summit this weekend because of work around the house and setting up that beast.

I guess I need to do the slipper clutch and check the steering servos and make sure everything is tight on it before I chase the kids around the house. But we will see.

Also store your lipo at 3.85v per cell when not using them(known as storage charge)for more than 2 days.It will be the best for the health of your lipo batts

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Thank you for the heads-up on the storage charge. Have to make sure that I don't cut down the life of the batteries that I just got. Took a long time saving up to get them!!! Any Other tips before my first run? My kids tell me the tires are nice and squishy, but they have to wait till I get home tomorrow before we play.

RC Qualifier
    Read the manual and break the motor in properly, it normally will prolong the life of the motor and also seats the brushes by doing this (breaking motor in). Good luck and have a blast with your new truck I love mine. God bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Qualifier
    Congrats! They do not come with a printed manual anymore just a quick start guide. If you download the manual from the Traxxas site it has a page that will help you make sure your servos are setup correctly. It helped me sort out my steering servos that were fighting each other out of the box.

Also you might want to check your slipper clutch. With the gear cover removed and securing the opposite end of the slipper shaft with a hex driver, just tighten the nut till the spring collapses (and no further) then back it off 1/4-1/2 turn. This is a good starting point and you can tune from there.

Any other questions just ask!

RC poster
    LOL not only did my wife buy the Summit for me but I guess I will call her and ask her to print out a manual as well. I guess I owe her one

Thank you for the advice on how to set up the slipper clutch. This thing is a real machine, not just a wal-mart toy. I will add that to the list of things to do. I will check up on how to break in the motor the best way, to water or not to and then clean and lube it I guess. I know I saw a few threads around here...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah there's plenty of info on the motor break-in, but the best way is very much an opinion thing so just know as long as you attempt to do some sort of break-in it will be fine. At a minimum you should drive around on a hard low friction surface for a run or two at somewhat consistent moderate speed to avoid a lot of arching between the brushes and comm. These brushes are rock hard so you can only accomplish so much. You may want to get you a can of motor spray and a can of compressed air if you don't have a compressor. Some light oil for the bushings as well. 3 in 1, mobile1, whatever makes you feel good. LoL You can lightly lube the bushings. Keep it clean and dry and they last (closed endbell brushed motors in general).

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicbrew View Post
    My wife just bought me a LIPO Summit in Augusta, GA I just bought a Onyx 245 charger and 2 7600 Mah batteries I charged the batteries, but I am in Charleston, SC and my Summit is in Augusta. I got to get home for the weekend!!!
    Always make sure that your charger is set to the LIPO setting, my 245 defaults back to NiMh every time it get unplugged !!
    I also would get a LIPO sack, it is a pretty cheap insurance policy especially if you have little ones wandering around.
    Last edited by DeepFriedOprah; 02-28-2013 at 10:35 PM.

RC poster
    I might have to wait till next friday to get a lipo bag. Till then I will keep the LIPOs in a fire safe nonconductive enviroment.

My 245 is set default to LIPO and 5 amp so I got lucky on that score later on I might get a better charger but for right now I only have the traxxas lipo's 2-5000mah that came with the Summit and the 2-7600mah that I bought with the charger so hopefully I will be fine.

RC Qualifier
    If you have the 7600's you should get close to an hour of runtime, if you are mostly crawling it will be more, you will get tired before the batts will lol. Hope you enjoy your new "toy" lol. And having the wife on board is a huge plus, mine is like yours, instead of stuff I don't want, she gets me gift cards for the hobby shop on special occasions I love it. Anyway have some fun and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC poster
    Well I hope that my kids might be able to play with the summit on training mode so that helped get the wife on board.

OK checklist

check gear contact
    set slipper clutch (all the way in and then back 1/4 to 1/2 turn)
    calibrate stearing servos so that they are not fighting each other
    motor break in (don't like the water idea, can I put it on a stand and run slowly?)
    set pretension on rear shocks (will get double orange when money allows)
    blow carbon dust out of motor and lube (3 in 1, mobile full synthetic, or white lithium grease spray?)
    lube bushings (how many are there?) I can look it up but this is my checklist I'm going to use when I get home.
    make sure everything is tight (hope I have all the right tools, i'm just an ice cream guy)

anything else I am missing? I will edit this post to add further suggestions to the list

I want to thank everyone for helping me out on this. I don't want to break one of the most durable RC's out there because I am such a newb!!!

RC poster
    PS anyone have a dodge sprinter body for this?

RC Qualifier
    When you want to service the motor, and how frequently that is really depends on the environment it's run in, it's good to blow the motor out with a little air first because it will take less motor spray to clean it, which as you guessed is the next step. After that you want to make sure the motor is completely dry of spray. I usuall hit mine with a hair dryer and let it sit a few minutes. Then I put a drop of oil on each oilite bushing. There are two, one on each end if the armature. The round bronze colored things at each end of the motor can. These are large bushings and they may be able to use even 2 drops each if you use a needle type oiler but you don't want to overdo it and get oil inside the motor, and it's even a good idea to wipe off the excess you see on the outside of that rear bushing because it will attract debris. And to answer your question, I would not use the lithium spray on the bushings.

You'll be fine I'm sure! Might want to try the 3 micro servos in both positions and make sure they aren't binding as well.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicbrew View Post
    Well I hope that my kids might be able to play with the summit on training mode so that helped get the wife on board.

OK checklist

check gear contact
    set slipper clutch (all the way in and then back 1/4 to 1/2 turn)
    calibrate stearing servos so that they are not fighting each other
    motor break in (don't like the water idea, can I put it on a stand and run slowly?)
    set pretension on rear shocks (will get double orange when money allows)
    blow carbon dust out of motor and lube (3 in 1, mobile full synthetic, or white lithium grease spray?)
    lube bushings (how many are there?) I can look it up but this is my checklist I'm going to use when I get home.
    make sure everything is tight (hope I have all the right tools, i'm just an ice cream guy)

anything else I am missing? I will edit this post to add further suggestions to the list

I want to thank everyone for helping me out on this. I don't want to break one of the most durable RC's out there because I am such a newb!!!
    I bought 2 summits right after Xmas one for my adult son and myself. We run the summits in an open space behind by house it has lots of challenging terrain. Well his 6 yr old son wanted in on the action and me watching them run just didnt work so I bought a 3rd summit. So I invite my son in law and other 2 grandsons and we only had the one summit and that wasnt going to work so I bought 3 more summits for a total of six. Let the fun begin. My grandsons are 6, 8, and 11. I thought the training mode would be great. I have never used it. I put the summits in low gear and make sure the diffs are out and the boys do just fine with them. The summits are amazing vehicles, I cant believe what they will climb or drive through and we have rolled them, banged them, flipped them and I have not had one problem with any of the six. I think your wife and kids will actually enjoy driving the summits than other smaller vehicles. I have an older Emaxx and the boys really struggled with it. As the boys are getting better and trying to kick Grandpas butt (not happened yet) they are learning about locking in the diffs and hi speed. We certainly dont abuse the summits but there is so much for them to learn and grow into. One other thing is make sure they know after the car is stopped to push the trigger forward for reverse or when the car is moving to push the trigger forward to slow down. For some reason they initially thought to turn the steering wheel backwards towards themselves to slow down or go into reverse. Have fun most of all.