Thread: Hitec servos

RC Enthusiast

Hitec servos

Im going to replace my servos, the stock ones feel weak know.Any mods. Or extra parts i need to change with the hitecs???

RC Qualifier
    Only mod I remember having to do was pick up some servo horns and made a custom one for my throttle/brake servo. My stock steering servo is still going strong, But will be replaced with a Waterproof Hitec servo....

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks bomber!!! I have the slayer pro right, and i hear to get the hitec 645 servo, but is analog, would it matter??

RC Qualifier
    Nope...Pretty sure that's the one I'm running and it's treated me good for about a 1 1/2 so far. And have had good luck with the Hitec servos in my other trucks too...

RC Enthusiast
    Ok im going to try it.... Keep u guys posted. Thanks!!

RC Qualifier
    I tried the analog hs645mg on my Revo with the digital radio. It had serious glitching problems. Some say they work, while others say they have problems.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

Quote Originally Posted by bloody wheels View Post
    I tried the analog hs645mg on my Revo with the digital radio. It had serious glitching problems. Some say they work, while others say they have problems.
    The digital sister of the 645MG is the 5645MG,,, It's not a good idea to use analog servos with a digital radio system... The amount of control and speed response to your controller with a digital servo makes driving a totally different experience once dialed in... The fact you can set their speed, and dial in your end points makes a world of difference....

Also, if you do not have a digital radio system,,, stick with analog servos, and as far as that setup,,,, the Hitec 645MG servo has been one of the most dependable servos I've seen on the analog side of things....

Myself,,, I use Hitec 5995TG over 300 OZ's of torque and very precise, no glitching, twitching... They've been on my RC's now since 2006 and they work as good as new... I've used JR's Futaba's and they are nice, I just have had better luck with Hitec's...

However I've heard some good things about Savox, and they are a bit less pricey, but I've also heard mixed reviews on them....

Other things you can try once you have those beefy servos you have decided on......
    There are white bushings in the linkage turnbuckles,,,, replace them with bearings,,, makes a huge difference!!!!

Lastly, if you are not getting full turning, check this by not having the linkages attached to the servo but everywhere else and see how far you can turn the wheels lock to lock.... Check if you pillowballs are not too far in, they will cause the Axle carriers to hit the A-arm, they are too far in on that case...
    Now if you can turn the wheel farther by hand then the servo will, go get a longer servo horn, it will increase the amount of throw from end to end...
    Another trick,,, The end of your plastic A-arms... Use a file and shave the edges to a 45 degree so the end of your a-arm looks like this /----\ not this |---| ... What this does is allow you to bring your pillowballs in closer yet still be able to have the axle carrier no hit the end of the a-arm when turned fully...

Add all these little tricks up and you will be able to turn on a dime....

BTW,,, Since I've hung up my Monster truck racing hat,,,, some of this advice I have not posted until today.... It works, it does not harm strength and I'm happy with it... Took about 1 yr of racing to figure all this out as well as a little help from some other clever guys who I have traded tips with...
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 02-08-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks nitro!!! Thats good to know, i will buy the digital servo, i was affraid of buying the analog until i was 100% sure!!! Thank u guys.....

The stock servo horns will not fit the Hitec servo Traxxas makes a servo horn kit that come with horns to fit Hitec servos. part # 5345X

Traxxas Steering/Throttle Servo Horns
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks fallon....... Good to know!!!! I would of baught the hitec with out that.... Thanks again!!

RC Enthusiast
    Another question, i need somebody to clarify this for me.... Im lost, is there such thing as a week servo, or they go out comepletely??? The reason im askin is because my throttle seems weak, but the brake seems fine.If i take the spring of the throttle, the throttle works fine, is when i put the spring back that it feels weak. Like i said no spring...... works good.Cant somebody post a picture of where both ends of the spring go, just to make sure i have it correctly? Thank you all

They can get weak. Test the location with another servo. The spring is held by a screw on the roll bar and hooks to the linkage under the throttle arm swivel.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, my spring is correct then. Now, my servo is getting weak, man.... too soon for a $500 dollar truck, but like everybody says.. Traxxas is not known for their servos being the best. Lol

I run my 645MG servo with a spektrum DX3s without any problems. Every once in a great while I get a throttle stutter but other than that it's been silky smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    I run my 645MG servo with a spektrum DX3s without any problems. Every once in a great while I get a throttle stutter but other than that it's been silky smooth.
    There is a $7.00 difference between the 645mg and the 5645mg it is a little faster and has 50 oz more torque at 6 volts and it is a digital metal geared dual ball bearing setup. Well worth the additional $7.00, not to mention tha ability to set speed, and end points....

I've seen many do the 645mg with a digital radio because they bought the radio while they already had the servo... IT works OK, but if you already have a digital radio system,,, the $7.00 more is worth it to me.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    sounds like a plan nitro,thats what i taught as well,makes sense on the digital with digital.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    There is a $7.00 difference between the 645mg and the 5645mg it is a little faster and has 50 oz more torque at 6 volts and it is a digital metal geared dual ball bearing setup. Well worth the additional $7.00, not to mention tha ability to set speed, and end points....

I've seen many do the 645mg with a digital radio because they bought the radio while they already had the servo... IT works OK, but if you already have a digital radio system,,, the $7.00 more is worth it to me.
    I agree 7 bucks isn't gonna break the bank. I think I put the 645 in when I had the stock 27mhz radio. When the 645 goes the 5645 is on the list.

Some radios also allow you the ability to change the frame rate so you can use analog servos. I know the newer DX3S has this function. My older 3S does not.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 02-19-2013 at 01:49 AM.