RC Qualifier

Old revo (5310) with trx 3.3

I have an older revo with the short wheelbase. I have a 2.5r in it and it runs ok. But of course I want more speed. I know about the power up deal, and my local ship has a new 3.3 in stock. I guess I'm looking for opinions on what people thought before and after they installed a 3.3.
    Revo 3.3

RC Racer
    i had bad luck with my 3.3 run 1/2 gal of juice and piston was shot traxxas refused to replace it so i got an os .21tm direct fit and im sure traxxas do a trade in with engines ill link it to u now might help u out
    http://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-E...placement-Plan

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
    i had bad luck with my 3.3 run 1/2 gal of juice and piston was shot traxxas refused to replace it so i got an os .21tm
    I also did the 3.3 in my 2.5 and it did not last long, after rebuilding it for the second time and splitting the con rod I finally got an os21tm. Just wish I had got it to begin with, that said I would recommend that you not buy a 3.3 but instead get an os21tm. You'll be happy you did.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Qualifier
    I did the 3.3 upgrade on my 5310 when the 3.3 first came available. It is still on the truck and going strong. Best upgrade I ever did to that truck. Be prepared for wheelies!!!
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Qualifier
    Wheelies is what I want. But also the speed. I just hate to trade in a good engine. My 2.5r is still strong and relatively new. I am about to take the easy start off and put a pull start on. Just to try it out and see how it performs with less weight
    Revo 3.3

RC Racer
    ive dropped out the easy start and have pull start on didnt really see a huge increase i have noticed a good clutch makes a differance to any engine

RC Qualifier
    i put the pull start on and the first few times it was hard to pull. it kept binding up. but once it turned over a few times it got easier. i guess thats just part of the game.

but the problems i was having are still present... that being it bogs down real bad when i hit the gas. and after driving it, the revo only went in to 2nd gear once. i'm sure it's a tuning issue, and this weekend i'm going to mess with it until it's running right.

just some history... it ran fine with minimal adjustments. then i messed around and got a tq 2.4 rx/tx and it all went to *edit*. i lost the throttle servo and the steering was horrible. i went back to my old tq and the steering was fixed but no throttle. so i but a spare servo in and it's fixed. tonight after i dropped in the pull start, i had a hard time keeping it running. i went back to default, which i think is 4 turns out, no luck, at 6.5 turns it runs. but it still bogs down when i get on it.
    Last edited by Double G; 02-07-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: language
    Revo 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Got a 3.3 today. Got the flywheel and stuff switched over, just gotta drop it in the truck.

My question is gearing, I have a 15 tooth clutch bell and a 36 and 38 tooth spur gear. Which spur would be better for wheelies? Or will the 3.3 pull wheelies regardless because the short chassis.
    Revo 3.3

RC Racer
    my old 3.3 that i had on my 5310 i stripped a screw in the cooling head so i had to buy a new engine and im still breaking it in but it sure is alot eisier to start and alot better suction from the carb

RC Qualifier
    i've completed break in, 8 tanks total and i'm tuning. i've still trying to get the idle speed right. the engine is a lot more fun than the 2.5r that's for sure. it's still not wheelying like i want (yes it will get old i know lol). i still need to get my needles tuned better, and i may go back to the 38t spur, we'll see. i can pull some in the grass, but not on the street yet. another thing i'm going to change is the springs. i was stock, then i went to stiffer springs for the 2.5r, now i'm going to go back to stock and see how it runs. from there make changes. might as well go back to stock with the new 3.3 and reset the truck up to go with the new engine.

anyone else running a 3.3 in the short chassis? what's your set up
    Revo 3.3