RC Enthusiast

are lipos water proof

I am getting a new lipo and some people say there not waterproof but I've ran my traxxas lipo through 8 inches of water. are the traxxas ones the only ones that are waterproof?

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking about getting a onyx lipo are they waterproff?

RC Enthusiast
    maybe spc or smc

RC Champion
    No lipos are water proof as far as i know, If your running i water I would cover them up with something like a plastic bag with twist tie to make them water resistant .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Enthusiast
    I found a video with someone that had black electric tape wrapped all around it

RC Enthusiast
    am I damaging it by not putting anything on it

Due to how LiPo's are assembled, they are somewhat water resistant. The cells themselves are completely sealed... but water can get in between the cells within the pack and start to corrode the cell material.

I have done absolutely nothing to further protect my LiPo's from water damage and have gone through countless 1-2" puddles and miles of wet grass. Now, if you were to submerge your packs I suggest doing something... either preventative measures to keep water out or something to dry the pack out afterwards.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I saw someplace that a guy was talking about using something like silicone gasket maker to try to skin over the end and at least minimize water intrusion. I may try something like that if I have a failure.

Sent from a Galaxy S3, far....far away.

I have contemplated using something like this on the ends to keep out the elements.

RC Champion
    You can't submerge them, but I've blasted through a lot of puddles and snow without any ill effects.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

I thought about using a Balloon to seal it since they dont get warm atleast they are not suppose to if you are using the right lipos in your setup. I asked a couple companies and thats what they told me to use if i wanted to run it through water or deep puddles which i have run into 1 in my merv and it got half way covering the lipo but i dried it out and it works fine but i dont be doing that again i only run wet grass which doesnt get them wet
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Enthusiast
    is it ok to run it in 5 inches of snow I remove the battery from the truck before it melts but it's still submerged in snow when it builds up on it.

I run mine in snow... I also do not let the snow melt on them and am sure to dry them well. Keep in mind that just toweling them off will not dry what is in the pack. I set mine in front of a heat register after wiping them down.

RC Enthusiast
    are spc packs any good

Without a doubt.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    You can't submerge them, but I've blasted through a lot of puddles and snow without any ill effects.
    Before I learned that you can't, my son was floating his Summit with the Traxxas $95 each 7600 mah 2S packs. Luckily, the Traxxas packs hadn't read that they can't get wet as well! I've since refrained from allowing this, but he spent a terrible amount of time playing 4x4 motor boat with that set of batteries. At that price, plus the potential to burn the entire summit..... It's not worth the risk.

Sent from a Galaxy S3, far....far away.

RC poster
    From what i know, they are splash proof. The cells are water proof but if water gets in they will deteriorate the cells. So it can survive a bit of snow melting on it, but don't submerge the thing.

RC Champion
    I should have looked up this thread first, probably, but so far so good...

Got my new Summit just the other day and had 4 - 6" deep water puddles all over from a good rain. I ran for 20+ minutes in and out of the deep water puddles with no problems and probably 30 minutes more mostly dry, then back into water again off and on for a few minutes on the way back. It was a lot of fun running in the deep water! And fun crawling over the railroad tracks and up the 20 foot tall rubble pile, too.

The only thing I did before running was put a small balloon (water balloon, actually!) over the balance leads with rubber bands really tight to seal those off. After the run was over I used compressed air to blow off what I could, then set them on a wire shelf vertical so any water inside could drip out slowly. Then the next day I put them on the floor registers and turned the fan on the heating system to "ON" instead of "AUTO". After being on the heater vents over night, I'll charge the batteries up tomorrow.

Later, I found out the guy I bought the Summit from had melted a chassis on a different Summit by running lipos in water... not good. $56 in parts, 4-5 hours labor plus cost of 2 lipo batteries.

Just for reference, a good lipo manufacturer emailed me in response to a question and said running in wet conditions voids their warranty, but if I was going to run in wet conditions anyway, to wrap the lipos in Saran wrap and seal each end with a rubber band to help with splashing, but that would not protect against being submerged, of course.

So that's my $0.02.

Are NiMh any better in water? I haven't looked into that yet. I've also seen Aquacraft lipos for RC boats - anyone used them? I assume Traxxas approves their own lipos for the Traxxas RC boats, right? The Aquacrafts' capacity is not as high as Traxxas and SPC and they have Deans plugs only.

I guess that's $0.01 more...
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

Batteries usually don't get wet in a boat unless something goes wrong.