Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!

Maxxxmasher's FLM Super-Pede build!

I wasn't really looking to get a Stampede when I bought this truck. I basically ran across a deal on ebay. I think I got it as a roller w/servo & motor for about 40 bucks. I've had it for a few years and basically it's been my wife's truck to run (about twice a year) and I haven't done much to it. The only hop ups it has gotten are cast offs from redoing my Slash. Basically, it got all the blue RPM parts (arms, skids, bumpers, etc.) that I changed out for Pro-Trac stuff. It's still brushed and running stock wheels.

Every other vehicle in my RC fleet is a conglomeration of hop up parts with nary a stock part to be found. I figured it was time the Pede got the attention it deserved. Most of my other builds have been done over (sometimes) years of use as I broke parts.

This time, however, things will be bit different. I'm going to basically re-do the entire thing at one time. I already have two orders on the way, and more wish lists already built. I am going to part out a few rollers on ebay to fund some of this and keep some key parts to have on hand. This Pede will pretty much be built from scratch with (almost) all new hop up parts.

Enough jabbering for now. Here's what this baby is going to be constructed of.....(just using stock photos for now until I get some actual parts in)

The chassis - FLM 1/8th scale extended aluminum chassis. Have one of these for my EMaxx - awesome!

Can't get the chassis without the extended chassis supports and aluminum skids!

If it's going to be long, it needs to be wide, too! Such a good deal on the Pro-Trac kit from Stormer Hobbies! $43.00!!

Of course if you get that, you gotta get the Jato ends....

This truck is going to be all black and brushed aluminum, so I got the RPM bumper mount to match the RPM gearbox I'll be getting along with the motor guard I already have.

Also on the way are STRC caster blocks which will be mated to RPM carriers and ProTek bearings.

Can't forget about the bulkhead! An STRC one in black aluminum will look nice with the black Pro-Trac arms.

Hate bending suspension pins and REALLY hate watching e-clips fly across my basement. I have a set of these STRC ones for my Slash, and they're nice.

I was about two dollars short of qualifying for ten bucks off my Tower Hobbies order (and free shipping!), so I threw these in there two. I use these Axial Velcro straps on a lot of my trucks, and they do a nice job of securing my batteries.

That's about it for now. I have some other funds coming in soon to pay for the rest of my build and the parts will be ordered soon. Gonna be cool. Can't wait to start building!!
    Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 02-06-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Competitor
    Looks like its going to be a cool build.
    Subscribed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Here's the Pede at it sits now, except it has blue RPM arms, bumpers, and skids.

Remarkably, that body is still almost pristine, despite being painted almost two years ago.

A little aggressive with pink thrown in for my wife. She always ended up wanting to drive my Slash, because it was faster anyways. She'll like this when it's done. (Yeah, Hon, I just added a few parts to it; no big deal....)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    nice to see this

will be following
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    Wow, is Stormer Hobbies fast!! I ordered these parts on the morning of the 5th, and they got to my front door today (7th) around 3pm!! I got in my FLM chassis, braces, and skids. Also included in today's shipment are the Pro-Trac kit, RPM front carriers, and the Jato ends. Super fast! Later tonight, I'll be getting my rollers ready to sell, and cleaning up my work area a bit. Here's a few pics of what I got in. Pretty....

Just a start, but a good one.

Like jewelry for an RC car.....

RC Qualifier
    Hey maxxxmasher, that's going to be one sick p2de. I am sitting here drooling over your parts. I really like the FLM super chassis. I will be tuned in to this build dude. Good luck with it!

Sent from Oser world

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Here goes that build!! Sweet dude. Any thoughts on STRC Hardened Steel King Pins? I purchased a handful of those and i'm working on getting them installed. Hopefully they are way better than stock and don't bend near as easily. With all the spare parts I have in my bin (gobs of them) I'm going to have to build me an ext FLM pede one of these days. LOL

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Awsome start to a great build thread and ill be watching for updates.
    My old screen name on here is ( Rocpede4x4)

Very nice, Il be keeping my eye on this for sure.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Champion
    Yay, another FLM chassised pede Man, you've got to love the way their finished products look. Maxxmasher, great choice in parts, too. The super chassis with the black bulkhead is pretty genius too (polishing the chassis isn't too bad, but the FLM bulkhead looks way to intricate). Great start!

RC Champion
    Yay for Tower Hobbies!! I got another box of goodies in the mail today! This order mainly consisted of tranny internals and a few other fun parts. I got the slipper shaft, washers, top drive gear, idler gear, and the complete metal planetary diff. All Traxxas. I was pleasantly surprised recently when I tore apart my Slash and switched everything over to the RPM tranny case and found, even after years of abuse, the gears had almost no wear. I will be getting the RPM case for the Pede build, also.
    The other goodies I got are STRC caster blocks, bulkhead, and hardened hinge pins. I also got the Axial Velcro straps. Time to do a little building! I'm also working on a HUGE order to A Main Hobbies. It's going to cost a lot, and I'm trying to weigh out the really wants verses the wants.....I swear I've added and subtracted and added some of the parts a thousand times trying to make up my mind. A lot less painfully to do this over the course of time rather than to do it all at once! But not as fun!! Stay tuned....

Today's loot! I'm also showing the wheels and tires I'll be using. My little-used stockers from my Wraith.

RC Champion
    Well, I got done what I could with the parts that I had. A little bit of a start. I got the front end partially done. Still need bearings, and I discovered that I am in need of king pins. I figured I had a set in the pile of pins I have in my box. No dice. Those STRC one are hard to find! About the only site I found to have them in stock was their own. Anyways, I got the bulkhead, front skid, front arms, carriers, casters, and the shock tower mounted on the chassis. This truck is going to be so cool when it's all done. I'm just about done deciding on what exactly I'm going to order and picked out the body for the P2de. Now I just gotta figure out the paint scheme. Here's some pics of tonight's action.

I'm glad I hung on to the instructions from the previous Pro-Trac kit. Makes it a bit easier to get started. Wonder why they don't include it anymore??

Gotta stay organized!

Even better with a little polishing.

The front arms had to reamed out just a bit to prevent binding

Starting to come together....

Love the look of aluminum and black together.

The bottom is built to take on some punishment.

Had to do a mock up on it see how it'll look.

Mmmmm, beefy!

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 02-09-2013 at 04:12 AM.

RC Champion
    Oh yeah, I also figured out what body will top this beast. I've always kind of liked the oddball bodies; for this one, it'll be the Pro-Line Bulldog. Not quite sure, but with this extended chassis, it seems I'll be able to use Pede bodies or the shorter Maxx ones.

My paintjob will be better than this, though!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Here goes that build!! Sweet dude. Any thoughts on STRC Hardened Steel King Pins? I purchased a handful of those and i'm working on getting them installed. Hopefully they are way better than stock and don't bend near as easily. With all the spare parts I have in my bin (gobs of them) I'm going to have to build me an ext FLM pede one of these days. LOL

I just want to make sure I am getting the right part. It made them hard to find on A Main, where they call them hinge pins. On the STRC site, they're called king pins. Same 3640-FT number, so that's what I'm getting.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...inge-Pin-Set-2

RC Competitor
    What kind of tires and wheels are you using they look real beefy .

RC Champion
    The tires are called Ripsaws and the wheels are Renegades. I think they'll look good with everything on this truck. Trying to stick with a black & chrome/aluminum theme. Trying to think up a suitable scheme for the paint that will carry out this theme.

Very nice!! Great build and great job.all about doing it right the first time. Awesome.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

You said your paint jobs gonna be awesome

Do you airbrush or rattle cans?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    You said your paint jobs gonna be awesome

Do you airbrush or rattle cans?
    I switched over to airbrushing years ago. I'm no artist or anything. I just like the control I have with an airbrush and once you have all the stuff you need, it's a lot cheaper. I also like having a ton of colors at my disposal. I bought my Hobbytown's supply of Parma Faskolor at a huge discount (along with the display rack) before we closed the doors. Here's a few I've done.....

My 4-Tec project that I'm almost done with (waiting on an interior I bought for it)

My current Slash body

My current E-Maxx body

My BackSlash

My chassis cover

My 4-Tec in rally trim

This pic got me in RCCaraction

Probably my most difficult paintjob; my 6wd Maxx crawler.

That's just a few I've done. All my buddies get a free paintjob now and then. I also painted bodies for customers when I was at Hobbytown, too.

Some of my trucks and my paint rack

Cool
    I really like the backslash body
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Those are some cool paint jobs you did.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Sweet build, sweet trucks, sweet paint! This thread is... well... SWEET!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Well boys, I finally made up my mind and ordered all the rest of the goods I think I'll need to finish this truck up. I went with Tower Hobbies, because they had some good deals. First of all, they had free shipping on orders over $99 and they had a code which enabled me to save an additional fifty bucks. I was going to go with A Main Hobbies, because their prices are usually better, but had to go Tower with the special deals.
    Anyways, enough chit chat! Here's what I got......

RPM rear adjustable body mount - one for my Slash, too!
    RPM front adjustable body mount - no, I didn't leave the Slash out.
    Traxxas front axles
    ST Racing Concepts heat treated polished front king pins
    Stampede receiver box
    Pro-Line Front hinge pin brace - yes, the Slash got one as well!
    RPM black transmission case
    Traxxas wheelie bar assembly
    MIP heavy-duty rear CVD kit
    RPM low visibility wheelie bar - for the Slash
    Traxxas Aluminum big bore shocks
    Traxxas slipper plate & hub
    Traxxas slipper clutch rebuild kit
    Pro-Line Bulldog body
    Associated 5x11x4 ball bearings (16)
    Associated black servo saver for Hitec
    Pro-Line 14RS body - for my Slash
    Hobbico CS-170 Digital Ultra Torque titanium gear servo - 333oz. of turning power!!

It's gonna be like Christmas when I get this box....

RC Champion
    Well i dont think you'll have to worry about meeting the quota for free shipping! Lol. lots of nice parts there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

RC Champion
    These companies amaze me with their quick shipments every time! I just tracked my package, and it says it will be here by tomorrow by end of day! No work tomorrow night, either. Works out perfect. Let the build continue!! Only one part is coming from their more distant warehouse (the rear body mount), and it'll be here near the beginning of next week. Oh man, I can't wait!!

RC Enthusiast
    Tower hobbies ships there orders fast and I order from them all the time. I have a Q. to ask how long did it take to get the stuff from FLM.

RC Champion
    I ordered the FLM parts from Stormer Hobbies on the morning of Feb. 5th and they were at my front door at 3pm on Feb. 7th. Pretty good.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Its so nice to get shipped quick.
    On the pede I just picked up, the ebay seller forgot to send the tracking number. I sent him a message asking for it 19 hrs after he said he shipped. He sent me the track a couple of min later, and when I checked it was at my house already. It was hard to not blow off the last 3 hrs of work to go home to open it. I was expecting a week, and it was less than a day till it got there
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Today is Stampede Christmas!! My package arrived today as scheduled! Haven't done anything yet. No work tonight, but in order to stay on my sleep schedule, I'd better stay up until five or six in the morning to work on this truck!! Just snapped some pics of everything when I unpacked it all. Man, I'm ready to do some building!!

14RS body for the Slash and a Bulldog for the P2de. What a size difference!

RPM, STRC, and Pro-Line for the win!!

Sorry, their bearings were cheaper, plus the seals are black (to match my color theme) The heatsink on the servo will look cool sticking out of the chassis, as well!

Could have held out for the GTR's but Ive had good luck with these.

Tranny parts and odds 'n ends...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    Today is Stampede Christmas!! My package arrived today as scheduled! Haven't done anything yet. No work tonight, but in order to stay on my sleep schedule, I'd better stay up until five or six in the morning to work on this truck!! Just snapped some pics of everything when I unpacked it all. Man, I'm ready to do some building!!

14RS body for the Slash and a Bulldog for the P2de. What a size difference!

RPM, STRC, and Pro-Line for the win!!

Sorry, their bearings were cheaper, plus the seals are black (to match my color theme) The heatsink on the servo will look cool sticking out of the chassis, as well!

Could have held out for the GTR's but Ive had good luck with these.

Tranny parts and odds 'n ends...

This is going to be one smokin hot looking truck man!!! Cant wait to see your finished product!! Gotta love christmas in february! And march, and april, and may, and............lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

RC Champion
    Making pretty good progress so far. Got the RPM tranny and gears all put together and most of the rear end done. The front is done, except for the steering links and servo. Gonna have to call Tower, though. On my invoice it shows the MIP axles on there as shipped, but they were not in the box. There's a green line underlining those on the invoice, but nothing else. What is that supposed to mean? Backordered? Some blockhead underlined them so they didn't forget to put them in there, and they still forgot? Have to get to the bottom of this! I would have called them immediately, but I didn't realize they were missing at the time I was unpacking the box. I got the box right before I flew out the door to go to dinner with my wife. Started laying everything out and realized the error. I do have some spare Slash stock axles and stubs, so I'll put them on there until I get my MIP'S. Lots left to do, so back to work! Here's some pics.....

Tranny goods laid out and ready for assembly.

This RPM unit is a nice piece. Slash has one, too.

Almost done with the rear end.

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 02-16-2013 at 05:11 AM.

RC Champion
    Actually that previous post was made at around 2am est. It didn't post then, but was saved on my Tapatalk. This post is of what I've done so far....

I went to attach the tranny to the frame, and the tranny was just a hair wide for some reason. I ever so gently trimmed the housing with my dremel and got it to fit. Makes me cringe to cut on a brand new part!!

Got the tranny mounted along with the Big Bores.

Time to mount the servo!!

This thing is just sweet! And getting sweeter by the Hour.......

I think it'll turn the wheels. Really want the strength to hold tight since it doesn't utilize bellcranks.

That was it for round one tonight.

RC Champion
    very nice build. also nice pics of your other paint jobs on other rcs. i love painting also. i just look for a reason to buy/paint another rc body. im kind of stuck on the flip flop colors right now.
    Last edited by ajcar; 02-16-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    I really like your front bumper ...I actually had the same chassis as you a while ago but I didn't order the extended aluminum braces....that didnt turn out to well
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    And now this is what I have gotten done tonight. Must sleep now......

Starting to look like a roller!

The underbelly.....

I had to throw some bodies on the the to see how they fit. This one is for an EMaxx....

And a Pro-Line Rustler body

I think this is a Rustler body made by JConcepts; can't remember for sure.

And now, I must sleep! Even on my third shift schedule, I'm usually asleep before the sun comes up!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 02-16-2013 at 05:58 AM.

RC Competitor
    Looks good man what's the wheel base?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by adamargue91 View Post
    Looks good man what's the wheel base?

Sorry man, I'll have to get that for ya. I forgot to get that. I didn't really work on it much tonight. I was busy with some other projects. I did mount up some Pro-Line Street fighters on my Pro-Trac wheels and trim out the Bulldog body. I also threw some other bodies on there to see how it looks. On a good note, I got an email from Tower Hobbies apogizing for forgetting to include my MIP driveshafts in my deliver. Those are on the way.

Interesting look. Just have trim the wheel wells up a bit and drop the body mints.

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 02-18-2013 at 04:54 AM.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Looking sweet so far! Man I'm so jealous of the shipping times, sometimes parts take up to a month to get to me. Not sure if i missed it in an earlier post, but which brushless system are you planning to run?
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Enthusiast
    It's coming along awsome and can't wait for my stuff FLM to get here.

RC Champion
    I guess I never really did mention it. I'm going to run a VXL system in this. That system is currently sitting in my Wraith and it keeps tearing that machine up. Just too much for it. I'm also going to run an Axial receiver and radio with this. Everything else that I have is Spektrum; but this way my wife can run this from time to time.