RC Qualifier

Upgrade from 2.5 to 3.3

I have an older revo with a 2.5 in it and I've always wanted to upgrade to a 3.3. I'm thinking about doing it in the near future but had a question. What's the difference between the ips shafts and multishaft? Is one better than the other? And what other parts did I need for the swap? I'm not a racer but I want as much speed as possible.
    Revo 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can send the 2.5 to traxxas, and upgrade to a 3.3 for a bit more of 100.00

http://www.traxxas.com/v2/powerup/
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 02-06-2013 at 07:22 AM.

They both are the crankshaft; IPS shaft is the standard shaft which comes with the vehicles. Read up on it here.

5407 TRX 3.3 Engine, IPS shaft with recoil pull starter:
    For use in all Traxxas TRX 2.5 and TRX 3.3 equipped vehicles. Pull starter can be removed to install the Traxxas EZ-Start® system (sold separately).

5409 TRX 3.3 Engine, multi-shaft with recoil pull starter:
    Includes threaded crankshaft inserts for "short" and "standard" applications. Pull starter can be removed to install the Traxxas EZ-Start system (sold separately).

5404 TRX 3.3 Engine, IPS shaft without starter:
    For use in all Traxxas TRX 2.5 and TRX 3.3 equipped vehicles with flywheel access. Requires use of an electric bump starter or starter box. Does not accept a pull start or the Traxxas EZ-Start system.

5406 TRX 3.3 Engine, multi-shaft without starter:
    Includes threaded crankshaft inserts for "short" and "standard" applications. Requires use of an electric bump starter or starter box. Does not accept a pull start or the Traxxas EZ-Start system.

With the multi-shaft you'll need additional parts to make it work in your vehicle. There was a good thread about this with photos in this engine forum within the past week or two.

IPS:

Multi-shaft:

Last edited by Double G; 02-06-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Here's my delima, my 2.5 has about a gallon through it. I can go do power up for $110, or buy the 3.3 outright for $140. I can see if my 2.5 was junk and trading it in but it's not. What's a good asking price if I were to sell my 2.5 in the marketplace?
    Revo 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    I would run the dawg out of the 2.5 until it is needing replaced. I think you couldn't get more than the $30.00 difference in the new vs power up price. Unless you had a buddy who wants the motor. I put a 3.3 in my T-Maxx this week and man, what a difference!

RC Champion
    Just buy the 3.3 new. The trade up program is really not worth it.
    Keep the old 2.5 motor for backup.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    I put a 3.3 in my T-Maxx this week and man, what a difference!
    What kind of difference? What else did you have to replace? Have you broke and parts on the truck because if the upgrade being more powerful
    Last edited by ericg2000; 02-15-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    Revo 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ericg2000 View Post
    What kind of difference? What else did you have to replace? Have you broke and parts on the truck because if the upgrade being more powerful
    Well, mine is in a T-Maxx and not a Revo but the only thing that has been upgraded is a resinator pipe. When I get the motor tuned and warm you have to be careful on take off or it will do a back flip. I need a wheelie bar but all that I have seen seem to cilp to the round stock bumper and mine has a flat aluinum bumper. I'm sure things in the drive train will break and I will upgrade them as the do.

RC Qualifier
    Right now I'm running a 15/36 gearing, would that be ok if I drop a 3.3 in my revo or should I go back to the previous 15/38? I want speed but I want some wheelies too
    Revo 3.3