RC poster

This car still ok/worth the money?

Hello all.

Id like to first start out by saying im am very new to the world of R/C. After searching around on the internet for a while i came to the conclusion id like a rally car for my first major rc purchase. I started looking and found the HPI ken block car and the Traxxas one. So my question is which of the two would you recommend for a beginer? im kinda leaning toward the traxxas one since its a little more in my price range but is it still easy to get parts for it now that its outdated? sorry for all the blabbing just looking for something id have fun with and not feel like i wasted a ton of money!

thanks all

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forums. Everyone here is nice and helpful.

Go with Traxxas! I don't have the Fiesta, but I've bought 3 other Traxxas rigs in the past month and am very impressed by all. They're tough as nails and you get great tech support...probably the best customer service in the industry. Plus, the guys on this forum are super knowledgable and will help you through any problems or questions you have!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    I love mine, it's a great car. Parts are plentiful with the one exception being the awesome body that comes with it. I shelved that body because I didn't want to mess it up any more and got a protoform tornado which I love. This car is a lot of fun but really for on road only.

RC poster
    I got the Ken block rally for Christmas and have loved it, it is one of my favorite cars. You won't have issues getting parts like CGlenn said because it is just a 1/16th scale rally with the Ken block body and tires. you can get all the parts you need from traxxas directly or find TONS of hop up parts all over the web. A few places I like to order from are The Toyz, A Main Hobbies, The Barn Floor, and Hot-Racing. There are a ton of placed to order from but the good thing about traxxas is is that if you need a part that day chances are you will find it at your local hobby shop. A good recommendation I can make about the car is to get 2 2s lipo batteries and a Parallel cable. This will let you run the 2 batteries in parallel and increase run time. I have been running mine this way with no heat sink on the motor since I got it and have had no issues and it runs about an hour. The motor and ESC do get really hot but you just have to watch it, you can solve with a heat sink or putting holes in the body- which with the ken block I do not recommend. My ken block cracked along the front bumper on both sides. I fixed it with shoe goo and wall paper tape and then found out they no longer make the car....shame.

Welcome to the Hobby and Good Luck with you car!

Batteries 2S
    Parallel Cable
    Heat Sink
    Batteries 3S- You can use these but it is recommended that you use the 31 tooth pin gear that comes with the car- I would have a heat sink already as well. I just put my heat sink on and will be testing the 3s batteries soon. These are not the cheapest places I could find just so you what know what to look for.
    Last edited by BountyHunter03; 02-07-2013 at 09:40 AM.

RC poster
    thank you all for the responses! my next question would be what would be a good price to pay for this car now that its older? after some searching ive found it ranges New from $219-$400? or what is a good site to order it from? all the local shops ive visited dont carry it or try and turn me to something else for more money =/. once again thank you all for the knowledge and helpful responses!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughtermelon View Post
    thank you all for the responses! my next question would be what would be a good price to pay for this car now that its older? after some searching ive found it ranges New from $219-$400? or what is a good site to order it from? all the local shops ive visited dont carry it or try and turn me to something else for more money =/. once again thank you all for the knowledge and helpful responses!
    Towerhobbies.com has a bunch of traxxas vehicles on easy pay thats where im getting mine today

RC Champion
    One of my local shops has one for $330 and another has one for $360...and the second shop has a second body in stock too for I think like $60.

The second shop is about to close and they offered me their demo Rally Kawasaki Edition for $220.
    I almost bought it a couple days ago...but a buddy called me and I might be getting a 1/10 E-Revo,another 2wd car,and a bunch of parts from him for $200-250 so I'm waiting.
    Last edited by dcfox; 02-13-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas is way has way more value than the hpi. The hpi parts are expensive and are harder to upgrade in the future. Traxxas is way more adjustable with upgrades than hpi.

RC Champion
    I have three 1/16 cars...a KB,a Summit,and a highly modified Revo.
    I'd say yes...very much worth it.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Champion
    Whatever is left is very worth it. I think no one has pointed out the most important part.

THIS CAR IS DISCONTINUED.
    Everything overpowered...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Whatever is left is very worth it. I think no one has pointed out the most important part.

THIS CAR IS DISCONTINUED.
    Really the body is discontinued, they still make the rally as it is they just won't have the ken block body anymore

RC Champion
    Ken Block is discontinued, any version. The green toe-links and bodies will become scarce

RC poster
    I understand that but the 1/16 rally that is still sold is the exact same car just without the KB body and other color parts. But you can still get a rally that perform The exact same.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughtermelon View Post
    Hello all.

Id like to first start out by saying im am very new to the world of R/C. After searching around on the internet for a while i came to the conclusion id like a rally car for my first major rc purchase. I started looking and found the HPI ken block car and the Traxxas one. So my question is which of the two would you recommend for a beginer? im kinda leaning toward the traxxas one since its a little more in my price range but is it still easy to get parts for it now that its outdated? sorry for all the blabbing just looking for something id have fun with and not feel like i wasted a ton of money!

thanks all
    I did the next best thing, I bought both models!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NewRCFan View Post
    I did the next best thing, I bought both models!
    Awesome.
    I wish I knew someone who was good enough to duplicate the 2013 KB paint job on a 1/16 Traxxas Rally body for me.

--
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
    Awesome.
    I wish I knew someone who was good enough to duplicate the 2013 KB paint job on a 1/16 Traxxas Rally body for me.

I'll post up pictures of both cars together before the end of this weekend.

I'll bet you'll see this body show up aftermarket sometime this year. Do you like it better then the past two color schemes?

RC Champion
    I like it "as much" as the previous paint scheme.
    But...I've liked all of his cars.

And I'm sure we will see it...but more than likely it will be sized to fit the HPI version.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC poster
    Awesome.

I like it "as much" as the previous paint scheme.
    But...I've liked all of his cars.
    I'm going to be 43 and have followed motorsports since a very young age. This Fiesta, in all of it's incarnations, is no doubt my favorite competitive car of all time. The Subaru wasn't bad, but this Fiesta, in all three of it's paint schemes, is sexy.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-06-2013 at 06:26 PM.

RC Champion
    I'm coming up on 45 and I agree with you completely.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Champion
    The subie sedan was my favorite. I bet they will, because there is a company that prepaints bodies of his for 190mm cars.
    I saw his hatch subie, and the fiesta both pre-painted for like $18 + whatever shipping is. ~$15 depending on where you live.

But, also I think HPI has the contract with him now for RCs. which is why Traxxas version is discontinued.

RC Champion
    Heck... I want one in 1:1 scale.lol
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Champion
    Well you talk to Ken about that, lol cuz the Fiesta doesnt come with that Cosworth motor, nor AWD lol

RC Champion
    I know...doesn't hurt to dream though.

I bet you couldn't even get the body parts to make a replica out of a stock Fiesta.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-07-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: merge
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I think the body is doable to be painted Dc it would be a pain in the butt but I think its doable, not sure about the dots in the blue and purple details around the fenders but thinking you could make it a fade and it looke pretty good.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    With the bodies Ive seen painted. SOMEONE can do it, they just havent.

RC Champion
    true...but I'd bet that would cost as much as the whole car cost.lol.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I have a like new block sitting on a display case with a brand new body, and a like new body, and I have 3 sets of the green block tires and rims, still deciding what to do with it!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissanguy8 View Post
    I have a like new block sitting on a display case with a brand new body, and a like new body, and I have 3 sets of the green block tires and rims, still deciding what to do with it!!!
    Start running that sucker, or send it to someone that will!!!!!

RC Champion
    Right now I have my KB which is totally stock and well driven. I also have an extra mint body.
    Coming in the mail now from one person I have another body,tires/wheels,and complete suspension.
    Coming from another person I have a set of KB tires/wheels.
    I'll continue to pick up any Traxxas KB rc stuff I can find at good prices.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC poster

Had a great day on Sunday running this for the first time. I went with the dual battery set up and it ran forever. As a matter of fact, I brought the HPI car too, and the Traxxas just kept running and running, for well over an hour on the dual battery set up.

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-12-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Both sweet...I think I like the Traxxas one better though.

--
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC poster
    Well, I'm very impressed with the Traxxas for sure. I post regularly on rcuniverse.com, and I can't get over how down the regular posters are on Traxxas. From the moment I opened the box, the owners manual is the best in the industry, everything is straightforward regarding setup, etc. I've read and watched a lot of reviews of this car, and they aren't dreadful, but it seems as though everyone reviews it as a rally car or a drift car, which it really isn't either. If you are a fan of Ken Block's videos and "Gymkhana" driving, the Traxxas is awesome. I look forward to many days of driving excitement and possible upgrades!

RC Champion
    Played with mine again today...it's a total blast with 2s lipo power!!!(3s is really too much)
    Way more fun than my Summit or Revo.

I picked up another Rally that's disassembled today.
    As soon as my parts coming from Australia arrive...I'll be turning it into a second KB car.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC poster
    Played with mine again today...it's a total blast with 2s lipo power!!!(3s is really too much)
    Way more fun than my Summit or Revo.
    I had the most fun with this car then I've had yet yesterday. I agree with the 2s LiPo's....I have the two battery set up and agree a 3s would be way to much for this car. If you can do the two battery set up, the car runs FOREVER!

RC Qualifier
    I put a rally body on it and took it to the local paved track, I need to set up the car better, seems like I need thicker shock oil, anyone have any suggestions for set up for paved track?

RC Qualifier
    These cars can be VERY ADDICTIVE!!! I got one for my boy, then I got one for me, then another one, then another one....you get the picture! With all of the mods available, you can get caught up tinkering with it every day!
    Here's one of mine...lots of mods, set up for pavement running.

[IMG][/IMG]

If you want the particulars, PM me.
    ENJOY!!!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!