RC poster

Traxxas Slash 2WD (5803) new motor with 5mm shaft, what pinion and spur to use?

Hi Guys,

I've bought a new brushless motor for in my son's Traxxas Slash 2WD.
    The old Titan brushed motor died after 2 months and I thought a new brushless motor would be a nice step up!

Problem now is that the new motor has a 5mm shaft (instead of the standard 3.17mm).

What spur and pinion do I need to get this baby running?

(The brushless motor (Hobbywing) comes with a 19pins 5mm pinion)

Please help as I am new to this kind of stuff!

Your options are limited with the 5mm shaft,I did a lot of research,before i bought my first castle system,and because of that i bought the 3mm shaft,My pinions now run from9 to 35,48p.On my 32p gears,i only run a 54 tooth spur,and 13-14-15-17,pinions
    But cant help you much with the 5mm shaft,but like i said your limited in your choices.
    Maybe if its castle,you could get a rebuild kit with a 3mm shaft,that's just a guess too,but if the can and magnet diameter are the same? A 3mm shaft might work?
    You really have to wait for someone with more expertise then me here,but I'll learn something also.
    Good luck.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Robinson makes a line of 5mm bore 48P pinions, RRP2017 through RRP2045 (17T-45T) and they are of fantastic quality. If you prefer 32P, Robinson again, RRP8711 through RRP8725 (11T-25T.)

Now this man knows what he is talking about,Follow Dr.Isotope's advice,and you wont go wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
    Robinson makes a line of 5mm bore 48P pinions, RRP2017 through RRP2045 (17T-45T) and they are of fantastic quality. If you prefer 32P, Robinson again, RRP8711 through RRP8725 (11T-25T.)
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    Thanks for your replies. I've ended up buying a 48pitch 19 tooth pinion at Kershaw Designs . Works perfect and the car runs like crazy!!

Wait you bought a new esc right?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Why did you go 48 pitch? I would think the bigger the teeth the more durable.

Good choice on kershaw designs, he has a large selection of 5 mm pinions.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2