RC Enthusiast

7 cell batts?work in 6cell esc?

i just got a novak system and didnt realize my 7 cell nimh batterys were too big for the new system... the manual for the esc says to never use more than a 6 cell nimh battery. whats the worst that can happen? why would a esc have a battery max? im itching to drive my new brushless get up but i dont want to ruin it at the same time. any suggestions or opinions would be grately appreciated. i am fairly new to the hobby so no big words plz :P

System in what? what is the esc?
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

If it's a Novak and it says 6-cell limit, I wouldn't try to push the issue. The max voltage is mainly because it's a racing esc and 6-cell or 2S lipo is the max legal packs for 2wd 1/10th racing.

Not saying that's why they limit it. Just that they build them for optimum performance at that voltage. So going over that limit will likely burn the esc.
    Last edited by harry697; 02-05-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Is ROAR that **** about the rules? They told me I cant run my 3800 4pole it the 2wd class.
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    If it's a Novak and it says 6-cell limit, I wouldn't try to push the issue. The max voltage is mainly because it's a racing esc and 6-cell or 2S lipo is the max legal packs for 2wd 1/10th racing.

Not saying that's why they limit it. Just that they build them for optimum performance at that voltage. So going over that limit will likely burn the esc.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Is ROAR that **** about the rules? They told me I cant run my 3800 4pole it the 2wd class.
    Honestly, I will go as far as to say that ROAR has been a huge factor in the progression of the r/c racing world. And it has also been just as big of a downfall in the r/c racing world. My local track used to have a big two-day ROAR electric race every year. It all came to a screeching halt back in 2009 or 2010, when shortly after the race weekend was over, the race director received a letter from ROAR. He figured it was a thank you letter or something along those lines. Instead it was a bill for several hundred dollars for using the ROAR name to promote their event.

Aside form that, their rules have gotten so twisted out of the realm of reality that they can't even explain their own rules at times. Did you happen to read anything about the recent ban on the Trinity D3.5-based 17.5 motors? Talk about messed up!

But back on topic, yes, the restrictions for ROAR and the majority of organized racing clubs has always been 6-cell nicad/nimh and the more recent 2S lipo batteries. So a lot of the race-oriented esc's out there for 1/10th racing are built to run at their fullest potential at that voltage. Same reason many of them do/did not have the option for reverse, since it's not legal for racing.

I have heard something about the 17.5,blurry on the details.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I have heard something about the 17.5,blurry on the details.
    http://www.roarracing.com/?p=1842

Here's a good article about it along with the response to the ban from Ernie Provetti:

http://www.liverc.com/news/special_f..._within_rules/

They can kiss my smelly butt! My crew is say heck with them we'll run are own rules. Ten months than say it's not legal anymore,Man they must work for the government.
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    http://www.roarracing.com/?p=1842

Here's a good article about it along with the response to the ban from Ernie Provetti:

http://www.liverc.com/news/special_f..._within_rules/

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for all the responces... it makes sense that its built to be optimal at race regulations .. Thanks alot!