RC Qualifier

Weird clicking noise

I just got this e revo n keep hearing a weird clicking noise out of it sounds like a thump. Maybe coming from the rear. But idk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    when does it make noise under power or braking . a thump?

clicking would be the diff but first check the pin on the axles and drive shaft

RC Champion
    Clicking=drivetrain somewhere. Thump is usually in the wheel/tires...which is it? Usually the diffs for clicking but its hard to say with a maybe. Best thing to do IMO is tear it down and go through it. I bought both my ERBEs used and that was the first thing I did before running them. People dont usually go through the trouble of making sure a truck is in top notch condition before selling it, its normally the inverse.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Clicking=drivetrain somewhere. Thump is usually in the wheel/tires...which is it? Usually the diffs for clicking but its hard to say with a maybe. Best thing to do IMO is tear it down and go through it. I bought both my ERBEs used and that was the first thing I did before running them. People dont usually go through the trouble of making sure a truck is in top notch condition before selling it, its normally the inverse.
    Yeah this is brand new to me its it hard to tear into the rear end? I can just push it from a dead stop and it clicks
    Last edited by brandon32689; 02-05-2013 at 05:22 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    not too hard just need the right tools and keep track of what screws go where

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    not too hard just need the right tools and keep track of what screws go where
    Okay so what would need replaced in there? Hope my locall hobbie shop has it

RC Champion
    You wont know until you get into it. Im finding that most hobby shops dont carry much in the ERBE dept. Mostly because they arent really big sellers due to the price tag. Ebay has a lot of chop shops where you can get parts. The whole rear comes off the chassis fairly easily. Just have to take the pin out of the drive shaft, take the bolts out of the shocks then 3 screws where the rear body mount screws down it you can pop it right out. That part takes like 5 minutes tops. The remove the pins from the outdrives where they connect to the differential, remove the plate in the back that holds the hinge pins and one more screw in the back towards the bottom that holds the two halves together and you can pop the diff right out. Once you have done it a few times it takes less than 10 minutes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    probably a ring gear or pinion or maybe a spider gear. i would do some research on how to shim your diffs. will need some shims to reduce the clearance between the ring gear and pinion

RC Champion
    Yep may as well go though it all while you have to tear it down anyhow. Like I said used trucks usually need a good once over.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if you plan on shimming you will need associated 21141 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-6x8mm...item35c2ad1717

RC Qualifier
    Found the problem my teeth are striped n broke on the rear dif. What causes this

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You will need to shim!
    The design is not strong enough. There is usually too much clearance between the ring&pinion and a tooth might skip and then breaks a tooth. Then there's flex in the plastic cups
    Shimming will help along with a properly adjusted slipper clutch and good driving habits!
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-05-2013 at 06:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    You will need to shim!
    The design is not strong enough. There is usually too much clearance between the ring&pinion and a tooth might skip and then breaks a tooth. Then there's flex in the plastic cups
    Shimming will help along with a properly adjusted slipper clutch and good driving habits!
    Okay man, thanks for all the help, im new like stated so what does shim mean and how do i do it, i am hoping the hobby shop has this part tomorrow.
    I am trying to upload pic but phone wont let me.
    Last edited by brandon32689; 02-05-2013 at 07:55 PM.

RC poster
    I'm glad to see you have determined what's broke. As suggested shimming the diff will help. I've done 6 differentials on my 1/10 and 3 on the 1/16th, both brushless. If you get on ebay you can get a complete diff new and its a lot of time the easiest way to go. If you do just replace the ring and pinion gear make sure to check the bearings that hold the pinion gear. Its not fun when it gets all back together and then throws a bearing and strips them again!

Quote Originally Posted by brandon32689 View Post
    Okay man, thanks for all the help, im new like stated so what does shim mean and how do i do it, i am hoping the hobby shop has this part tomorrow.
    I am trying to upload pic but phone wont let me.

good info in both threads..

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Diff-Shim-Mod

&

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...to-shim-a-diff.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??