RC Competitor

Will an Unopened Traxxas Slash become a collectors item?

Given the truck's popularity, will an un-opened Traxxas Slash become a collector's item?

RC Racer
    A 1988 RTR unopened is probably. Nowadays these things have been produced in such Large quantities it would be quite a long shot.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Next perce View Post
    A 1988 RTR unopened is probably. Nowadays these things have been produced in such Large quantities it would be quite a long shot.
    You are right about that. Although most will end up getting bashed up. I think that the 1987 -1988 RTR are tough to find unopened.

RC Champion
    what version are you referring to? Do you have something special or just a slash? Doubt any of them will. Vintage will come back in say, 20-30 years...they you can get a little bit of your money back but nothing close to what you pay for it.

Look at the way the vintage market is now.....only 1 or 2 cars out there are holding value.

How many 2013 2wd Slashes in unopened boxes will there be in 2033?? I guess that's the question.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I would think the limited run ones like the, 'Robby Gordon Edition Dakar Slash" would be one of those i'd keep boxed up. Others would be like the Monster Jam series trucks to. Not sure how long they are going to make those. I'd like to see more of the monster trucks come out though. Like Batman, Ironman, Wolverine, & MoHawk Warrior just to name a few. LOL Other thoughts would be "Snap On" editions of the Erevo & Spartan.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    ooooops, double whammy!!!
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 02-05-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: double post.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Yeah, they're basically cranking these things out like sausages...more fun to drive and bash anyway!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

What does the number of kits produced have to do with anything? How many A stamped RC10's do you think were produced? I'm sure there weren't quite as many, but it doesn't stop people for paying 4 digits for them, does it? I think it's more about the success of the car and the legacy it leaves behind than the number of kits produced.

Aside from that, I wouldn't bother holding on to a Slash and hope it's worth money down the road. The current vintage Traxxas stuff can pull some money, but nowhere near what a comparable Associated car does. I had plans to hold onto a NIB Platinum Revo I had, but came to my senses and raced it for awhile, then sold it. I would say if any of the newer Traxxas kits were gonna go up in value down the road, it would be the Revo PE. It was a fully decked-out truck and was a limited release.Still have my doubts if it will be worth holding on to for the next 20 years though because IMO it doesn't really stand out as a vehicle that left a big mark in the r/c world.
    Last edited by harry697; 02-05-2013 at 04:42 PM.