RC Qualifier

Optidrive vs fail safe

I have an older revo with a 2.5, forward only conversion and 27 mhz rx/tx. My throttle servo went out (it wouldn't open the carb enough to hit 2nd gear). I tried recentering but no luck. I swapped it out and the new one seems fine. My question is how does the optidrive compare to a fail safe. I had a fail safe inline with the throttle servo before it quit working (yes I tried the old servo without the fail safe). Now with the fail safe the throttle servo won't move, without it the servos works fine. I know there's a chance the fall safe died, but I don't have another to compare with. Can I throw the optidrive back in to act as a fail safe?
    Revo 3.3

RC Champion
    The opti drive is different than a failsafe. The failsafe returns the throttle servo to full brake when signal is lost. The optidrive just keeps the truck from shifting into reverse while the truck is moving forward.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    That's what I thought. But somewhere someone said they were the same.
    Revo 3.3

RC Qualifier
    this is directly from the traxxas web site. The optidrive does have a built in failsafe.

OptiDrive™ Electronic Shift Module
    Microprocessor senses vehicle speed and
    Optimizes forward and reverse shifting.
    Allows constant drive engagement for
    smooth, responsive acceleration.
    New failsafe function applies the brakes
    if the radio signal fails.
    Allows a lighter transmission with fewer
    moving parts for reduced inertial mass
    and greater torque handlinge.

hope this helps!
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Competitor
    FYI - The original 2.5 Revo did not offer the Optidrive with the "failsafe" feature. This was introduced later on with the 3.3 version.
    My wife don't understand!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HVNFNYT View Post
    FYI - The original 2.5 Revo did not offer the Optidrive with the "failsafe" feature. This was introduced later on with the 3.3 version.
    I believe you are correct sir. My original 5310 did not have the built in failsafe, but my newer Revo did. Good catch.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Champion
    The only Revos with fail safe capability are those using the newer 2.4 micro receiver and TQi Radio. Where did you find the link that says it applies the brakes.

5-Channel Micro Receiver with Fail-Safe Security
    The TQi 2.4GHz micro receiver fits easily into any vehicle, and features dual channel-1 outputs for easy installation in vehicles with dual steering servos—no Y-harness necessary! The integrated LINK button makes it fast and easy to bind the receiver, and the two-color LED indicates power-on and bind status for fool-proof control and convenience. Traxxas Link Model Memory allows the receiver to recognize up to thirty TQi 2.4GHz Traxxas Link enabled transmitters—just switch on and drive. In the event of signal loss due to an accidental switch-off or depleted batteries, the receiver will automatically return the throttle to neutral and hold the last commanded steering position. The Fail Safe programming is built-in and does not need to be set or activated. Three telemetry ports are incorporated in the 5-channel receiver to allow real-time data to be transmitted from your Traxxas model to the TQi transmitter.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Competitor
    FYI - Taken from the 2006 release of the Revo 3.3 manual (supplied with AM transmitter)...

To prevent losing control of
    your model, it is important to
    stop at the first sign of weak
    receiver battery. Visible
    warning signals include
    sluggish steering response
    and shortened radio range.
    In addition, the OptiDrive is
    equipped with a low-voltage
    indicator and a failsafe circuit.
    When the voltage of the
    receiver battery drops below
    4.3 volts, the “Function” LED
    on the OptiDrive will flash red.
    If the voltage drops below 4.3
    volts for more than 2 seconds,
    the OptiDrive ignores throttle
    and shift signals and applies
    25% brakes (failsafe mode).
    Steering will still be
    operational and the
    “Function” LED on the
    OptiDrive will flash red. The
    OptiDrive will stay in failsafe
    mode until the power is
    turned off or the receiver
    battery voltage rises above
    4.3 volts for more than 2
    seconds.

RC Champion
    This option only detects low voltage and I have said this before it is not a true fail safe. It will not detect radio interference or loss of signal. Turn your radio off or loss signal to your vehicle and you better be able to run approximately 40 mph. The first sentence in your post tells it all.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Qualifier
    For whatever reason the fail safe that wasnt working began working. I think it was operator error.
    Revo 3.3

RC Competitor
    Didn't mean to pick an old scab. Pntmachine is absolutely correct about this not being a "true" failsafe. This topic was brought up ad nauseam when it was first introduced. I, personally, have always relied on an ofna micro failsafe. It's worth its weight in gold.

RC Qualifier
    my fail safe it working, a little bit too good. it applies the brake after about 5 minutes. i got a meter out and check my voltages; 5.6v on the truck battery and 10.3v on the transmitter. my fail safe is suppose to apply the brakes at 4v. why is it happening early?? it's a venom, the old one with the screw adjustment.
    Revo 3.3

Since it is a Venom it is best to contact the manufacturer of it for support of their products.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    my opti drive is #5398, and i read that it will detect low voltage and if it drops below 4.3v it will apply 25% brakes and you will loose throttle responsiveness but retain steering ability until voltage is back up above 4.3v
    Revo 3.3