Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

f/r diffs and diff fluid

so,i put 100 r and 50 f on mine and gonna do the kids in 50 r and 50f...gonna see what i like and don't like...i also got 30...pretty much only gonna bash and maybe a bit of racing so i don't wanna loose rear end with any light weight fluid in there...i dunno if i am gonna like the 50 front or not...we'll see when i finally get it all together

RC Champion
    You want heavier fluid front to pull the truck.

RC Racer
    i realize that,but i'm setting it up more for bashing than racing...with my kids and living in a rural area,i won't have time to see the track much except on occasion with my buddies

RC Champion
    Basher here but your op said 100r 50f.

RC Racer
    i just thought it'd be fun to run the 100 rear for drifting the gravel and dirt roads...maybe i will not get that affect with this setup though?

heck,who knows what i'll do for sure,lol...i got 100,50 and 30...i still got parts coming in and need to get the trucks completed still

throw me yer thoughts and reasoning

i do realize that 100 rear will prolly push hard in the corners and cause over steer,but i was hoping 50 front would be enough to pull it around once the rear startes to spin out...i'm out for fun and i guess i won't know for sure unless i try

maybe i'll set the kid's up with 30r and 50f...too many variables in it all as far as setups go,lol

RC Racer
    maybe 100 will be way too much though...variables,variables,variables

I currently run 100k r 30k front. I like the way the truck performs. You get plenty of traction from the rear tires! A strong posi effect. I think you will like it if you try it!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    i already got it in the rear,so am going to either way...just need to decide if i wanna drop 50 or 30 up front...either way,i am gonna make the front the same on both and run 50 in the rear on the girls and see what i like better as far as the rear goes and then maybe swap the front so i can get a few combos to see what i like

RC Champion
    Thats whats its all about, experimentation to see what works for you.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I currently run 100k r 30k front. I like the way the truck performs. You get plenty of traction from the rear tires! A strong posi effect. I think you will like it if you try it!
    Been following this thread with some interest for my upcoming street machine build. Hey El Sob, with that diff oil setup are you getting "drifting" from the rear?
    Last edited by Mugs; 02-05-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

When you say drifting, you mean like powerslides? It spins both rear tires pretty much the same speed. On full throttle takeoffs with the 2400 setup, you do have to countersteer. It acts like a muscle car with a posi rearend. It will skate on you if you don't keep a handle on It.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    oh,it does sound fun...i can't wait to finally get these things running

been over a month of researching everything i wanna install on my rollers

a few more pieces coming and just a little bit of time getting things put together (hardest part with a busy family life) and i'll finally get to run these little monsters

RC Racer
    With changing the fluid in the diff's what will it do for me? I just bash

RC Racer
    lighter allows for the power to go to the wheel with the least amount of traction

heavier will to a point keep equal power to both wheels (given the fluid is heavy enough)

there are positives and negatives to both

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sawhead View Post
    lighter allows for the power to go to the wheel with the least amount of traction

heavier will to a point keep equal power to both wheels (given the fluid is heavy enough)

there are positives and negatives to both
    Keep in mind that its also a balancing act even when running a slipper. Power follows the path of least resistance.

RC Racer
    oh yes it does...there's positives and negatives to every setup

RC Racer
    I just had to rebuild my center diff (thanks 3s) and used 50k. Was thinking about doing the same up front and 30K in the rear so I get more pull out of the turns and less of the rear wheels trying to past the front. What do you guys think?
    I mainley use it on dirt and back yard tracks. Would like to try out a real track someday soon also.

RC Champion
    Are you running an aluminum center diff cup and a decent motor mount like the king headz with the oversized bearing? If not it wasnt the 3s that did you in. I run 3s pretty much 90% of the time and havent had to go through my center diff in quite some time other than inspection every 10 packs or so, cleaning it out and putting in new fluid.

You guys are running way heavier than I am but the general idea is for the heaviest to be in the center followed by the front then the rear. I run F/C/R at 15/30/5. You get too heavy in the front or rear and it kills you with under steer in the turns.

RC Racer
    I do have the king headz motor mount but the diff cup is stock traxxxas. I did use 50K in the center but the front and rear are stock. Just want to find something that will work well and help with pulling in the turns.
    I'm sure my stock BFG tires don't help. Looking to get some proline trenchers next.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    When you say drifting, you mean like powerslides? It spins both rear tires pretty much the same speed. On full throttle takeoffs with the 2400 setup, you do have to countersteer. It acts like a muscle car with a posi rearend. It will skate on you if you don't keep a handle on It.
    Thanks for the advice. I now have 50 front and 100 rear. The truck handles alot better now. I just only have the stock esc and motor. But soon upgrading them. I like my posi trac

Sent from my Samsung NOTE 2.

RC Qualifier
    I've got 100K in all my RC's and 500K in my mini summit and Emaxx. sometimes on a long straight when you punch it the truck will fish tail more but not to much more then it did when i had 10k in there.

RC Racer
    So I have this correct before I buy fluid... I have losi 5000wt in the center now. So I want to use the same in the front and something like 3000 in the rear for better handling in turns? Or do I put 10,000 in the rear for mor posi effect?
    Just looking for a little edge over my buddy's at the track we built. We have 6 all mor the most part stock slash. Gearing I'm useing 13/52. Any ideas with that would be a big help too.

RC Racer
    So I have this correct before I buy fluid... I have losi 5000wt in the center now. So I want to use the same in the front and something like 3000 in the rear for better handling in turns? Or do I put 10,000 in the rear for mor posi effect?
    Just looking for a little edge over my buddy's at the track we built. We have 6 all for most part stock slash. Gearing I'm useing 13/52. Any ideas with that would be a big help too.

RC Racer
    if yer a racer,you definitely don't wanna go heavier in front than rear...

RC Racer
    So what if I go the same F/C/R? Will this work? My back end is just all over the place.

RC Champion
    To get more power up front heavier in center diff. Its a balancing act.
    Ive found what works for me and its 15/30/5 F/C/R.
    If you go the same in all 3 your rear will get even worse. To keep the rear in check you want a little more power going to the front so heavier fluid in the center that the other two and heavier in the front to get more power to both wheels and a little lighter in the rear for better differential effect so it follows where the front it taking it instead of trying to pass the front in the turns.

RC Qualifier
    thats actually backwards jt lighter fluid in the center diff would send more power to the front because it will allow the cd to unload the power to the front heavier fluid will equal out the power to the rear and front. i use the same setup on my platinum 15/30/5 its a very well balanced setup
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Champion
    Well my truck is backwards then because the heavier I go in the center the more goes to the front. The lighter I go the more goes to the rear, provided there is heavier fluid in the front. Stock 50K was too much power to the front and made the front tires balloon like crazy. Lighter fluid will unload to the path of least resistance, in my case the rear. With 15 in the front and 5 in the rear the least resistance is the rear. I was already set up at 15 and 5 in the rear and when I dropped in the center diff the rear squatted and the front balloned. Dropped it back to 30 and all was golden.

Its a delicate balancing act to say the least and no matter how you slice it the ratio given works well. If you want to go up heavier use the given as a multiplier.

RC Qualifier
    So whats going to stop me from doing wheelies. I'm running 50/50/50
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    well the stock traxxas fluid is no good so dont compare to that... but yes the lighter the fluid in the cd the more the power will unload to the front tires and yes its a delicate balancing act for sure

RC Qualifier
    try 15/30/5 i promise you will like it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mydudrevo View Post
    try 15/30/5 i promise you will like it
    What type of fluid are you useing?

RC Racer
    i'm almost considering using a center diff with some heavy fluid in it to rid myself of the slipper too...

just not sure what the drawbacks would be (it'd be a heavy fluid for sure for minimal slippage)?

i still gotta get my electronics soldered,so i have not experimented with the diff fluids front and rear yet...the more i read though,the more i don't wanna go heavier rear than front lol

RC Champion
    Center diff doesnt slip, it redirects power to the path of least resistance.
    Heavier in the rear will kill you in turns. The rear will try to pass the front and you will over steer. If you are just straight line bashing doing speed runs heavier diff fluids will bring you closer to a locked differential basically meaning the two tires will receive an equal amount of power witch isnt good once you go to turn. The outside wheel has to travel further than the inside wheel in a turn. they turn a a different rate, hence the term differential. You want to front to be closer to locked than the rear as the front is what will pull you through the turns and the rear will follow. If you go heavier in the rear it will push the front end so whatever direction you are trying to steering in will be lost. The heavier you go in the rear and lighter in the front the closer you come to the handling of a 2wd.

RC Racer
    i follow that,i just gotta play with the fluids myself and see what i like

i am just a bit interested in possibley running a center diff with heavy fluid instead of the slipper,much much more for playing than racing

RC Racer
    i have one sitting here,but dunno if i wanna use it,prolly just have to mess with it also,lol

so many choices,what to do,lol

i will run a mix of terrain with no asphalt or concrete...mostly loose dirt/gravel/yard and such

RC Racer
    Now have stock in rear. 5,000 in center and front. Plan to put some 3,000 in the rear. Just with the change to 5,000 up front the truck handles better. Plan to change the rear tomorrow and see what it does.

RC Racer
    okay...i went ahead and set up my trucks with 30r and 50f with slippers

i have a spare f/r diff and center diff that i put 100 in to swap out easily and see what i like best once i get a chance to run them...i finally have everything and just about have it all buttoned up

RC Racer
    okay so when running 30r 50f and slipper on a loose track i can turn and keep better speed than my buddies running 10k and under diff fluids...straight line seems better unless it starts to fishtail at all,then they zip by me easily...if i go into a turn slow,i'm done...my turn is way too wide

as for just bashing around my place it's great

the daughter's i did the same,but ran a center diff with 100k...our tires do no hook the same though and no track time...it does well for around the house also though...hers does turn easier at slower speeds

i am gonna swap mine to a center diff with at least 100k and do 30f/10r to see what if i like that better...prolly do it with the slipper 1st and then swap in the slipper...keep that variable outta the front and center diff equations

RC Qualifier
    Wanted to rebirth this thread because I think it's important to know for us racers out there... So let me get this straight.. For a dirt track with a lot of tight turns You want 10-15r/100c/30f ?
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..