ehayashi300

I need new multimeter which one is the best one

I’m looking for a new multimeter that will last me a few years and was after some advice. I like Fluke’s range and have this one in mind:

http://www.newark.com/fluke/fluke-117/multimeter-digital-handheld/dp/83K1721

I think it does everything I need, but just wanted to check there’s no point looking further up the range? I’m primarily going to be using it for tinkering with Arduino kits, audio amps etc.

I was originally trying to stick to a $200 budget… Is there any point shelling out more for a high precision device just in case I need one down line?

Fancier alternatives include:

Fluke 177
    Fluke 87-5

Thanks
    Edward

RC Champion
    That's a seriously nice piece of equipment! I'm sure it just boils down to more features on the "fancier" ones. Range will likely be similar across all models...never mind, I see the one goes up to 1000V AC and DC...sweet! But $400 is some serious jack for a unit like that.

I have a cheaper one from Radio Shack, maybe $50. Suits me fine for R/C. But you know better than I what you're in need of.

Reminds me of the time I agonized over a $200+ torque wrench. I opted for the more expensive one but use it once a year if that...oh well.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    It all depends how often you are gonna use it, and for personal or professional use. I have an 87, very good meter. It is the one all diagnostics for auto, and heavy truck repair is based on.

sent from my not so smart, smart phone
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec