Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

DiggerPede's Project: Revamp Slash

Hey fella's and ladies. Ive' been running the old Slash for a good while and repairing breaks along the way. This is my go to truck at the track and bashing in the yard. I don't race, just mainly go with my buddy and spend hours at a time learning some stuff while there. I work quite a bit so I don't have the time to get into races as i'd like. I just have the bashers mentality and try to make the laps. LOL

The truck gets totally neglected and whatever parts I carry along with me tend to fix the problem and I throw it back on the track for more punishment. What more can you ask for this is one tough platform.

I have a few set of upgrades to it. First off I purchased the truck 18 months ago with another one for a good price. It was basic with the XL5 and Titan 12T. I kept that in there as long as the trip it went shipping to me. At the time I ran it with an SV2 and Tacon 3650 2950kv 2-pole. I ran that for a couple months and was satisfied until I passed it off to my bro in law. I kept the speed control then thew a CC 3800kv and ran that for about a year. Then went to a Vektor 4000kv (CC rebranded HPI). This is very similar to the 3800 with a couple hundred more kv. Maybe not the same quality but its a nice little motor and hardley ever get above warm. I purchased this motor to test them and they can be found fairly cheap. I picked up 2 for a Benjamin. My other upgrades include: RPM F/R bumpers, shock towers, & a-arms. On the 4 corners I have STRC c-blocks and carriers. I have Traxxas ano links, BB's, upgraded 4x4 belcrank with Erevo Servo protector mod to protect the servo arm from the Servo. I'm running 6852x rear shafts to house the power to the wheels. Also installed is an Outerwears shroud to help keep some of the trash off the chassis.

I currently have a GH alloy gearbox that I'm transfering the gears to the RMP one (pics). I'm also updating the slipper to the AVID Triad with STRC layshaft to accept this AE Slipper. I also picked up a Proline Front Skid.

I feel like i'm leaving something out. No matter if I think of it i'll post it up.

Here are a few before pics. Not real recent though.

Stock when I received it:

Ford SVT Raptor:

Stock body all taped up Camo Style:

Action shot at Katy RC Track:

I'm uploading the tranny pics and will update with others during the install. Still not sure what body i'm going to slap on this. I've beat these other down, still usable for bashing.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 02-04-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added photo....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Love the camo tape...I'll bet that adds some strength too!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RPM Gearbox & AVID Triad Slipper

Just another little pice of the pie!

I had originally installed the AVID Triad Slipper on the GH Alloy gearbox. Decided to lighten the rear end of the truck and had been fishing with the idea of trying out the new RPM gearbox with the alloy plate. Well last week I pulled the trigger and ordered one. It came in a little early and was here Friday instead of today. YAY!! I unbolted the GH gearbox and stripped all the internals out and installed in the RPM gearbox. This thing is such a GEM. I hope it has good cooling benefits. I'll know real quick after running a pack or so. Which I havent had to worry about so far. I'm geared 21/83 or something like that. Anyways installation was a breeze. I changed out a few of the bearings and inspected the rest and they were still good. The only thing is the bottom of the front of the case is cracked open a little. I pressed it to make sure there wasnt any binding and there wasnt. I guess/hope this will squeeze back in place once installed onto the back skid.

After bolting up the RPM gearbox I reinstalled the Triad on here and it looks great. I'm really digg'n this slipper. Really excited to test it out. I've heard such good things about it so far. Plus I don't mind supporting a semi local company. Their home base is about an hour from me.

Plans are to tear down the reast of the truck and inspect for broken pieces and worn parts. I have fun doing it, plus this truck needs a little TLC.

Remember earlier I said I forgot something well it just came to mind. I picked up a handful of STRC hardened steel king pins for this truck and the rest of my fleet. Hope this is a fix over some of the bend ones that i've managed time and time on this Slash.

Now to the pictures, they do way more justice than words.

GH case with the AVID Triad Installed (removing for RPM gearbox):

I repacked the diff with some heavy weight lithium greese. Nice and thick again.
    Split with gears showing:

Don't we love seeing this packaged with our parts!!:

RPM Gearbox (black of course):

Side view:

Back view:

....TBC....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

....Continued....

Now to the goodies!!
    RPM Gearbox w/ AVID Triad Slipper:

Thanks for looking and more to come!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Love the camo tape...I'll bet that adds some strength too!
    Dude that's exactly what my first thought was! I was thinkin that ought to last a lifetime! Is that something people have been doing, or did you invent that diggerpede (taping the body)? Either way that's really cool.

I'm all kinds of excited about that RPM tranny case. Tower has the black out of stock, I'm gonna have to hit the bay, or dye a blue one, or something. What do you think about it so far?

Looks like a fun project, and something I should be doing myself right now instead of typing! :P

Quote Originally Posted by mepster View Post
    Dude that's exactly what my first thought was! I was thinkin that ought to last a lifetime! Is that something people have been doing, or did you invent that diggerpede (taping the body)? Either way that's really cool.
    Nope can't take the glory. The first time I seen it done was on dreads beater. Another good way to bring new life to an old worn out body. A few weeks after taping the body I added black duct tape on the windows. It made it look way better and more pronounced. I thought I had a pic of it but can't seem to find it. I have a couple handfuls of various duck tapes that I use.

I'm all kinds of excited about that RPM tranny case. Tower has the black out of stock, I'm gonna have to hit the bay, or dye a blue one, or something. What do you think about it so far?
    I really like the RPM gearbox. I'm hoping the gap at the bottom of the box squeezes together once it is mounted up. I pinched the halves together at the bottom and there was no binding. So i highly doubt there will be any issues from that.

Check out Amainhobbies. That's where I got mine from. The cost was nearly the same as on eBay. I'd much rather do that instead of dying. Once you get scratches or scrapes the blue will come through.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Nope can't take the glory. The first time I seen it done was on dreads beater. Another good way to bring new life to an old worn out body. A few weeks after taping the body I added black duct tape on the windows. It made it look way better and more pronounced. I thought I had a pic of it but can't seem to find it. I have a couple handfuls of various duck tapes that I use.

I really like the RPM gearbox. I'm hoping the gap at the bottom of the box squeezes together once it is mounted up. I pinched the halves together at the bottom and there was no binding. So i highly doubt there will be any issues from that.

Check out Amainhobbies. That's where I got mine from. The cost was nearly the same as on eBay. I'd much rather do that instead of dying. Once you get scratches or scrapes the blue will come through.
    Actually when you dye something it will never scratch through. Check YouTube on it "how to dye rc parts."
    2wd slash, PL LCG, CC 3800, Powerstrokes, S6040

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonJuan View Post
    Actually when you dye something it will never scratch through. Check YouTube on it "how to dye rc parts."
    I stand corrected. I've never dyed RPM parts so maybe they take dye better. I've dyed many other than those.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    That tranny case IS totally sweet! I just put mine on, and love it. Their parts are always quality, always fit perfect, hold up to a ton of abuse, and a priced to sell. They definitely do it right. That slipper looks pretty nice, to. I remember when you did that Camo body; talk about being able to handle abuse! Digger, wait until you see my next build. Going all out. Can't wait to get started. *hint* check the 2x4 'Pede section in the coming days.....
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

I really like the clutch set up,my self right now I run Robinson hardened 12-56 32p, but with the 3800 it tops out at about 30mph, but or track is so small you never get close to the speed.[IMG][/IMG]
    Now to the goodies!!
    RPM Gearbox w/ AVID Triad Slipper:

Thanks for looking and more to come!!
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I stand corrected. I've never dyed RPM parts so maybe they take dye better. I've dyed many other than those.
    I've dyed some other plastic parts that does dye but it does scratch off. Rpm seems to soak it all in though. And some wheels don't hold the dye in that well.

Smile Pics of the Slash Before Disassembling, Johnny No.5 Says NOOOOOOOO!!!

Here are a few pics of the truck in its current condition. Well its about broken down into pieces. I'll take a picture of all the pieces once 100% disassembled.

Broken Front Skid Brace:

Servo Protector (Erevo Style):

These are the treads I use at the Track. Proline Calibers. They work really well.

She's kinda nasty, but I'll have her like new in the coming weeks.

Thanks for looking.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    The RPM case looks good. Might consider getting one now.

RC Qualifier
    J, take it all the way apart down to the last screw and pics of each one. I have decided instead of me working on my trucks today I'm gonna have a lazy day enjoying your work *thumbsup*

I wasn't worried about that case gap as far as mesh, but if that gap doesn't close up when you install it, might want to tape it so that debris stays out, well.... you know that, just sayin... Hopefully it closes up when you install it. Otherwise everything about that tranny looks/sounds good. The slipper looks cool

I

RC Qualifier
    Oh yeah, also love the battle scars on the truck. That's a rolling piece of history right there! The memories! I hate getting my new trucks beat all up but once you get those first few scars out of the way it's down right enjoyable!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

@ MAXXXMASHER I can't wait to see your build over there.

@ MEEBERT: I can take a pic of each one if you want?!?! LOL I'm debating on changing all of the screws or what I can to Hexpax Hexscrews Armor Plated-6.

The gap should close up once bolted down. If not i'm going to put a clamp on it and tape it up. I'm super excited to try that Slipper out to. I have one for my DiggerPede also, I was thinking about slapping it on, but I might end up tearing it down to and getting it ready for Spring. Sounds like I have some work on my hands.

I totally Dig the battle scars for sure. I only have one SQ and that's been my Rusty. It's only been on the road Twice so far. I need to take it out as it's a blast to drive to.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    That's the truck you run the 3900 in?

That's the truck you run the 3900 in?
    Vektor 4000kv 4-pole (CC/HPI) one.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Oh that's right the duratrax/castle is the 3900... my bad. So it rips huh? I havent run my CC3800 much at all but she's a screamer, I need to upgrade my ESC so I can try it on 3s sometime.

Oh that's right the duratrax/castle is the 3900... my bad. So it rips huh? I havent run my CC3800 much at all but she's a screamer, I need to upgrade my ESC so I can try it on 3s sometime.
    Yep its a mean little motor. Also is all blacked out which makes it that much cleaner looking. Any thoughts of an ET-3S ESC, its a rebadged MMP that's limited to 3S only. You can pick up one of these for half the price of its bigger brother. Just a thought.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Yep it's on my list to check out as you had recommended it before. Sounds great!

Update: Chassis Prepped for Dye

I cleaned the chassis up for dye. I completed it last night but didnt take any shots of it dyed. I wanted to wait for it to dry first. I'll shoot these and upload tonight. Plans are to glue down the felt in the batter tray. Possibly clean the electrics and install them back on to.

I ran into an issue with the king pin on the font passenger side. Last time I was at the SC track I used a pin to make due so I could keep on bashing. Locknut on the bottom side (got this off easily) but it won't come out. I'm going to try tapping it first if not i'll take the drill to it. Push comes to shove if I mess these STRC castors I'll replace with a fairly new set of STRC gunmetal ones.

Prepped for Dye:

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Why dont you use nerf bars?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Why dont you use nerf bars?
    They get in the way of my Outerwears shroud. I have the velcro run along the edge of the chassis.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Sorry I havent posted any progress in a while. I currently have the chassis dyed and parts scattered all over the work bench. The past couple of nights i've been cleaning a handful of parts and used the RC solution to bring new life back to the old parts. Solution (denatured alcohol, simple green, & WD-40), this stuff works magic. I have a few parts to tear into then start getting this puppy back together.

My bro in law is planning to head to the RC track/ Painball course Sunday. Hmmmm......this is the motivation needed to get this thing back together if i'm off. LOL

Clean her up to get her back dirty again. Thats what they are for right??? haha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Good looking rebuild so far..... link me to that slipper if you have a moment. That whole duct tape body idea.....
    great way to bring some life back to a cracked up body! I read this thread before I had even joined lol The Duct Tape Beauty
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...t+taped+beauty
    I think Digger had a couple bodies in there.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Good looking rebuild so far..... link me to that slipper if you have a moment. That whole duct tape body idea.....
    great way to bring some life back to a cracked up body! I read this thread before I had even joined lol The Duct Tape Beauty
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...t+taped+beauty
    I think Digger had a couple bodies in there.
    Sure enough bro.

http://www.avidrc.com/product/5/acce...cessories.html

They have 2 setups with different spurs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Man Digg, I like what you've done to your slash. ALOT of good info in your thread. I just found out how much my income tax check will be and I am wanting to buy something I can race on a dirt track. I just can't seem to narrow down to any particular RC or brand. I would like to keep all my rcs traxxas due to the helpful people on this forum. Yours truly, confused!

Sent from Oser world

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonJuan View Post
    Actually no... Wont scratch off like paint. But I dyed a RPM Bumper/Wheelie bar holder, and the bottom is scratching, and showing the blue. So digger is right...... The dye only soaks in fractions of a mm. More than paint, and more resistant, but in NO way scratch proof for heavy scraping.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Great build Digg.... Cant wait to see it cleaned up, and put together. You sure do pump those bad boys out.. Love that gearbox and Slipper Clutch setup.

Cant wait to see it come together.

Btw... To really restore old parts, After you clean them up with the Solution, Throw them back into dye. That helps em reblacken up again. .
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Great build Digg.... Cant wait to see it cleaned up, and put together. You sure do pump those bad boys out.. Love that gearbox and Slipper Clutch setup.

Cant wait to see it come together.

Btw... To really restore old parts, After you clean them up with the Solution, Throw them back into dye. That helps em reblacken up again. .
    Thanks man! I'll have to try dying those old parts. I seen that in your Rally thread.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Update: The chassis is dyed, RPM Gearbox & Avid Slipper Installed, and all cleaned up

Sorry for not updating the thead religiously. I have been working on it a little here an there. The chassis and limbs have been cleaned and dyed and man it came out nice. I moved all the gears to the new RPM gearbox and also installed the Avid Slipper clutch. I tested and adjusted the Slipper Sunday. Once the truck is complete I'll dial it in. The last time I was at the track I did a quick fix for the driver side King Pin, well the Pin that I used wouldnt come out it was stuck like chuck. Luckily I had a spare set of Gunmetal STRC Carriers and c-blocks. I also installed installed the upgraded Hardened Steel King Pin. This poor little truck needed some TLC.

Friday I ordered a new lid and trying out the Proline bulk and bumper combo. I'll debute all the upgrades once the lid has been painted. I think I'm going to keep it simple. Hmmmm....I do need a bright color though. Guess we shall see what happens.

I'm upgrading the bulk because the screws cross threaded or something in the Integy one. Plus i'll be glad to get the last piece of Integy off my trucks. Oh shoot I think I have something on one of my others, soon enough though anyways. LOL
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 03-05-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Update: Proline Bulk & Front Bumper Installed

Hey guys.

I finally had a chance to yank the Integy bulk and install the Proline bulk/bumper combo. Its a nice piece but nothing compared to the RPM bumper that its replacing. The Proline one is rather weak IMO. I'll use it until its busted up. It also sits an inch or so lower than the RPM one.

Old Integy Bulk (glad to get rid of this)

Proline Bulk/ Bumper Kit

Last edited by DiggerPede; 06-24-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore