Thread: New Rustler

RC Racer

New Rustler

I'm getting a brand new Rustler vxl, is there anything I should do or any. Or are they fine just the way they are? I've never had one, but it should arrive today.

RC Qualifier
    They are A-Ok just totally stock, but there are things that can always be improved. Ultimately only you can decide what needs changing.

But you are lucky, if you want to change anything then just about every part of the Rustler is upgradable.

Personally I think the best upgrades are springs (once again only you can decide what to go to), alu shock caps, and tyres.
    Last edited by cunawarit; 02-04-2013 at 09:16 AM.

RC Champion
    The most common things I see broken on new rustlers are:

- front caster blocks (get aluminum)
    - rear shock tower (get RPM plastic)
    - shock caps (get aluminum)
    - a-arms (get RPM or T-Bone bumper to protect them)

Also, use those plastic washers that came with the car. Put them in between the pin and the body. Otherwise the pins could eventually break through the body, especially the back one.

RC Racer
    I'd put an RPM or T-Bone front bumper on it before the first run. The rest just fix as it breaks. I think the VXL comes with a wheelie bar? If it doesn't you'll probably want one sooner rather than later.

We've broken caster block (replaced with Traxxas aluminum), front bearing carrier (replaced with RPM). One of the plastic shock caps kept popping off we we've replaced all caps with Traxxas aluminum. I got tired of the hinge pins backing out so we've replaced them with the STRC kit.

The Rustler is pretty durable. My 8 year old son does most of the driving and it's seen it's fair share of hard crashes. I think the RPM bumper is the best thing we've done as far as durability goes.

RC Champion
    RPM or T-bone front bumper is a must , will saves alot of front end parts and a Temp gun or a Temp on board gauge for motor and a wheelie bar for starts ,
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    Thanks everyone, I will make sure to check out a RPM bumper then, and I bought a wheelie bar already. Can't wait to get it and see how she runs. Appreciate the help everyone.

RC Competitor
    If you don't already have 1,you will want a faster charger than the wall unit it comes with. Try to get a charger that will handle lipo batteries even if you don't plan on going lipo right away. It will save some cash in the long run.

First part I broke was a caster block. Like others have mentioned though, its usually best to upgrade as things break. Especially if you have a local hobby shop! Enjoy!

RC Qualifier
    RPM Bumper is first for sure!

RC Racer
    T-bone racing bumper for sure. Looks soo much nicer that the rpm and is tough as nails!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911kevin View Post
    T-bone racing bumper for sure. Looks soo much nicer that the rpm and is tough as nails!

That's only one opinion .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Racer
    sweet bumper
    Pull the trigger & ride. You gone crash or Bash!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by alien8edrc View Post
    If you don't already have 1,you will want a faster charger than the wall unit it comes with. Try to get a charger that will handle lipo batteries even if you don't plan on going lipo right away. It will save some cash in the long run.

First part I broke was a caster block. Like others have mentioned though, its usually best to upgrade as things break. Especially if you have a local hobby shop! Enjoy!
    Yeah came with a Lipo already in it and charger, but I got another charger coming, but I do plan on grabbing an upgraded bumper for sure.

RC Racer
    Glad ya like it ENFA. That makes two opinions.

RC Racer
    Alot of y'all did some great work with the looks on the Rustler. And some got very good ideas on creating a well built machine. I will be asking questions and looking to adjust as I go.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 68rocks View Post
    RPM Bumper is first for sure!
    Let me re-phrase that...."upgraded bumper" is first for sure. (anything is better than stock)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 68rocks View Post
    Let me re-phrase that...."upgraded bumper" is first for sure. (anything is better than stock)
    Yeah got that bumper (RPM)

RC Qualifier
    well in my exp rpm or traxxas alum caster blocks are a day 1 purchase, the stock ones break really easy in my exp. if your going to be running a higher MAH battary or lipo and you live in a hot climat then a esc fan might be needed. a rpm brand gear cover is also a good idea if your going to be driveing off road. the stock one has a big hole in it that lets in dirt,pebbles,moss ect wich can cuase problems. and depending on what battary type you will be running and what type odf tarrain and again how hot the weather is were u are you might need to buy a lower sized pinion gear. 18 to 21t pinion would help keep it running cooler if needed. but genarly speaking id say just a set of casters, after that just replace any broken part with rpm as needed. also you if u dont already have one a good battery charger is a day 1 buy as well. the stock charger is a joke imo. 7 hours to charge a 3000mah nimh battery is not very productive for a fun time lol. no need for any thing to fancy if your on a budget. some thing like a thunder ac6 or 680 or one of the traxxas fast chargers will be fine.

also if u have the extra cash a rpm bumper is well worth the extra 10 or so bucks. 100% better than the little nub that come on the rusty.

RC Racer
    I got a new Rustler VXL the other day and ordered some RPM parts with it including the Motor Guard, Front bumper and Gear cover. I was surprised to see that the stock gear cover doesn't have an exposed hole it actually is plugged so i didn't see any point putting the RPM one on. I also got the Traxxas wheelie bar.

I wouldn't be too fussed about outlaying heaps of cash on parts that arnt broken yet though some spare casters may be necessary depending on your driving style. I plan on upgrading things as they break.

I had a 2S 40-80c 5800mah LiPo ready for when the VXL arrived but used the included 8.4v 3000mah NiMH for the first few runs. This battery ran very hot on short grass and i don't think it can really give the motor what it needs without a heap of stress. The ESC and Motor would also run a bit too hot with it. It also came off the charger pretty hot after being charged at 3A which took about an hour. I switched to the lipo and everything runs so much cooler, my battery didn't get past 80f on the same short grass surface that the NiMH hit 170f on. The LiPo also has more punch and obviously a much longer run time and the power was consistent for the whole run. It also came off the charger not even luke warm unlike the NiMH which came off the charger quite hot. I really think a LiPo and decent charger is a great investment and 2S is very controllable and doesn't seem to stress the ESC and motor.

I have also ordered the traxxas ESC cooling fan as it can get hot here and just to keep the ESC a bit happier

If you are going to run on asphalt you may want to grab some anacondas as i don't see the stock rear tyres lasting very long on road surface.

Enjoy your Rustler, they are awesome fun!

RC Champion
    whatever you do. dont fall in love with the rpm bumper. imo i feel that bumper is a lil overhyped. i had it and i completely broke it in a small curb crash! t-bone bumper is the way to go

RC Racer
    Yeah, so far this thing is running good and cool. I've even had a 3s lipo in it and it's good,. Everything is still stocked, but the weather is fairly cold for now. But I do have the bumper and wheelie bar, and a fan on the way.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    whatever you do. dont fall in love with the rpm bumper. imo i feel that bumper is a lil overhyped. i had it and i completely broke it in a small curb crash! t-bone bumper is the way to go
    Don't worry man, i have no intention of "falling in love" with a $6 part....

I bought RPM because ive used them in the past and nothing has ever broken and ive been happy with their products so i continue to support them. If for some crazy reason i see my first RPM part break ill contact them and get a free replacement or consider a T-Bone. Thanks for the tip.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpot View Post
    Don't worry man, i have no intention of "falling in love" with a $6 part....

I bought RPM because ive used them in the past and nothing has ever broken and ive been happy with their products so i continue to support them. If for some crazy reason i see my first RPM part break ill contact them and get a free replacement or consider a T-Bone. Thanks for the tip.
    no doubt. just for the record bro, im not knocking you or rpm because they're an awesome brand but i was just stating the fact, that bumper isnt what people make it out to be. i mostly use rpm for front and rear carriers and MAYBE shock towers and that's it, only thing i havent tried from them is the new transmission case.