RC Qualifier

ICE AMPS BLOWER SYSTEM REVIEW by stampede_fanatic!

I ordered the ICE AMPS BLOWER SYSTEM from RB INNOVATIONS on 1/28/2013. Before I start, let me familiarize you guys with the parts so you can follow along... I took it for the team so here we go!

ICE AMPS Blower assembly:

Top View:

ICE AMPS Mounting Bracket:

ICE AMPS SCOOP:

I want to tell you guys on the forum that the ICE AMPS BLOWER system does not fit on top of the Traxxas Velineon motor at all. They mentioned on their website that the fan is a "Blower system specifically for Traxxas products listed below" and they also mentioned it's a "Blower system specifically designed for all Traxxas products". In my case, I have a stampede 4x4 vxl. See link below.
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps2348fddd.jpg (Circled in Red)
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps4746c562.jpg (Red Arrow pointing that it can fit a stampede 4x4 vxl)

RB INNOVATIONS did not specify on their website that the ICE AMPS BLOWER SYSTEM is NOT a direct bolt-on type of blower on the Velineon motor. I tried installing the blower assembly on top of the Velineon motor, but noticed right away that the fins on the blower assembly cannot turn freely due to the wires of the Traxxas Velineon Motor getting in the way. See links below (Circled in Red).
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps9dbf6c1d.jpg
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...pscf98abd0.jpg

Even if I pulled the wires aside, the whole blower assembly still cannot sit on top of the motor properly due to the cramp spacing. See link below (Circled in Red).
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...pse35f6c80.jpg
    The solution to this problem is to use a side of the motor where the wires don't get in the way. However, read the next line, which is installing the ICE AMPS mounting bracket...

With the ICE AMPS mounting bracket attached on the Velineon motor plate, the motor cannot slide in place due to the thickness of the ICE AMPS mounting bracket. The ICE AMPS mounting bracket is literally touching the motor mount and this makes it impossible to push the motor down any further. See links below(Circled in Red).
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psb0a6fbc3.jpg
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps219cbae2.jpg

Also the screw for the ESC gets in the way so it's really a very tight squeeze. I might break something if I force it in. See link below (Circled in Red).
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps36d8b983.jpg

ESC screw and motor mount stopping me from pushing the motor in any further:
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psd2369077.jpg
    This is where you start modding... I was really hoping this blower was a direct bolt-on.

Finally, the bottom part of the scoop is hitting the top part of the shocks. See links below (Circled in Red).
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps797a9741.jpg
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps7e492896.jpg
    You may have to trim some of the scoop off so that it won't be hitting the top part of the shocks.

If I spent $49.94 on an item, I would like to have total satisfaction that it fits specifically in a Traxxas vehicle (in my case, on my Stampede 4x4 vxl) with NO MODS AT ALL. I am not satisfied with the website's explanation since it was not explained clearly at all. RB Innovations should have specified and PROVIDED A DISCLAIMER that the ICE AMPS BLOWER SYSTEM IS NOT A DIRECT BOLT-ON item and will not fit on the standard Traxxas Velineon Motor since the wires get in the way. They should have mentioned that MODIFICATIONS ARE REQUIRED to make it fit on the Velineon motor on a stamplede 4x4 vxl.

IMHO, if your the guy who like direct bolt on stuff like me, this blower is not meant for you. I will say it again, it is NOT a direct bolt-on to the Velineon motor since the wires get in the way. However with MODIFICATIONS, you will be able to fit this blower. Btw, the picture on RB INNOVATION'S website show an E-revo brushless. The ICE AMPS BLOWER is a direct bolt-on on that model since the wires on the motor stick out on the side, not like the Velineon motor, which runs above the motor.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 02-04-2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Added more pics

RC Qualifier
    I think a lot of people like me have the Velion motor sat so the wires are on the outer side not the top. This allow heatsinks and fans to sit easily.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    I think a lot of people like me have the Velion motor sat so the wires are on the outer side not the top. This allow heatsinks and fans to sit easily.
    Yea, I can turn the motor around and use a side where the wires don't lay on, but the problem is squeezing the motor back into place. The overall length of the motor increased due to the addition of the ICE AMPS mounting plate. It really makes it impossible to push the motor in since the kingheadz motor mount is in the way.

The ICE AMPS mounting plate is literally sitting on the kingheadz motor mount here:

Btw, it's not just the kingheadz motor mount that gets in the way, the ESC screw adds to the difficulty pushing the motor in as well:

Motor mount and ESC screw make it impossible for me to put it in. Here's where modifications come into play...
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 02-04-2013 at 04:12 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Does sound like a MK1 product. You should report your findings to them and aid them in a better MK2 product. They may even reward you. The blower would look good stuck on the hood of my Chevy.

RC Qualifier
    Does sound like a MK1 product. You should report your findings to them and aid them in a better MK2 product. They may even reward you. The blower would look good stuck on the hood of my Chevy.
    I am preparing an e-mail to RB INNOVATIONS about the issues on the ICE AMPS BLOWER with the Stampede 4x4 VXL. I'll keep you guys updated.

I have to agree with you, the blower would definitely look good on my chevy truck as well...

RC Qualifier
    At the end of the day it's a product for enthusiasts. They are unlikely to have unmodified vehicle and need to take into account the likes of the KH motor mount etc. Good luck.

RC Qualifier
    "Will Fit Traxxas E-Revo / E-Maxx / Losi SCTE 4X4 and many other similar mid mount motor vehicles."

I think the Stampede / Slash is a typo.

RC Qualifier
    At the end of the day it's a product for enthusiasts. They are unlikely to have unmodified vehicle and need to take into account the likes of the KH motor mount etc. Good luck.
    The KH motor mount has the same dimensions as the stock traxxas mount (plastic), except that it's made out of aluminum with a bigger center bearing. They should've taken those things in account.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    "Will Fit Traxxas E-Revo / E-Maxx / Losi SCTE 4X4 and many other similar mid mount motor vehicles."

I think the Stampede / Slash is a typo.
    Yup! That is what I thought as well. I'm really curious what their email reply will be...

RC Qualifier
    To sum it up: The ICE AMPS BLOWER SYSTEM is definitely NOT a direct bolt-on to the Velineon motor since the wires, motor mount, and esc screw get in the way. MODIFICATIONS are necessary to make it fit.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    To sum it up: The ICE AMPS BLOWER SYSTEM is definitely NOT a direct bolt-on to the Velineon motor since the wires, motor mount, and esc screw get in the way. MODIFICATIONS are necessary to make it fit.
    Ouch! That's what I was afraid of. I've got my Mega Heatsink/Fan from the other thread cut to fit in now. Just need to get a couple pigtails from the LHS and solder up a harness to run it with the ESC fan off that plug. You have to rotate where the wires come off the motor for this mod also and do some cutting on the heat sink, but it fits a lot better than the blower system in your pix. I've got small dual fans with a heat sink less than half the size of the new one on the motor now but I think the Mega setup will be better when the weather starts warming up.

I hope you can find a way to make it fit dude or that will be a bad buzz......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    Ouch! That's what I was afraid of. I've got my Mega Heatsink/Fan from the other thread cut to fit in now. Just need to get a couple pigtails from the LHS and solder up a harness to run it with the ESC fan off that plug. You have to rotate where the wires come off the motor for this mod also and do some cutting on the heat sink, but it fits a lot better than the blower system in your pix. I've got small dual fans with a heat sink less than half the size of the new one on the motor now but I think the Mega setup will be better when the weather starts warming up.
    Ouch indeed!

I still have to get the necessary tools (dremel) for the Mega heatsink/fan that's why I did not go for that one. I really thought that the blower system is a direct bolt-on, but it's not. Anyways, once I get my tools, i'll definitely do the Mega heatsink/fan mod. From Ross' thread, it really fits better than the blower system that I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I hope you can find a way to make it fit dude or that will be a bad buzz......peace
    Yeah, I'm trying to find a way to make it fit.

I just opened the package for test fitting and have not tried using it yet.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-05-2013 at 08:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Stampede_Fanatic, thank you for your extremely detailed review. I was not the one that purchased this product but am annoyed just like you are, that conpany flat out lied or didn't even bother to do test fits on the pede. I've been looking forward to a real world review but I guess we'll have to wait on that.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede Pede View Post
    Stampede_Fanatic, thank you for your extremely detailed review. I was not the one that purchased this product but am annoyed just like you are, that conpany flat out lied or didn't even bother to do test fits on the pede. I've been looking forward to a real world review but I guess we'll have to wait on that.
    Yeah man, I too am VERY disappointed since I thought this blower is a direct bolt-on on the stampede.

Btw, here's the reply email from RB INNOVATIONS:

Thank you for the detailed explanation and I understand the issue. We certainly try to keep up with the changing devices but it is nearly impossible to do. If we develop a device and then there is a motor that will not work, we sometime will not know due to we don’t have ever engine and truck / car combination available. This motor is more recent then the system. We will investigate this further add this note to the system online for the future.

I appreciate your feedback and so If you would like to return the unused / unmodified item please do so. We will refund you for the order.

We hope this helps answer your questions. If you need further information please do hesitate to ask us for further assistance.

Technical Sales Department
    sales@rbinnovations.com
    http://www.rbinnovations.com

Anyways, I just don't like this line "If we develop a device and then there is a motor that will not work, we sometime will not know due to we don’t have ever engine and truck / car combination available."

That's the reason for R&D (Reasearch and Development). They did not do any tests on the pede 4x4 vxl since they didn't have any in house...

I'm really very disappointed in them.

RC Qualifier
    BaldyDaniels should take a look at this to see if he still wants to keep the blower. I know he bought some for his trucks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    Ouch indeed!

I still have to get the necessary tools (dremel) for the Mega heatsink/fan that's why I did not go for that one. I really thought that the blower system is a direct bolt-on, but it's not. Anyways, once I get my tools, i'll definitely do the Mega heatsink/fan mod. From Ross' thread, it really fits better than the blower system that I bought.

Yeah, I'm trying to find a way to make it fit or just sell it to the E-revo guys in this forum. I got it for $49.94, but plan to sell for $45 shipped to the lower 58 states.

I just opened the package for test fitting and have not tried using it yet.
    Yeah, I burned up my old 300 series Dremel making the thing cutting out the slots with the diamond wheel. Got my new 4000 series Dremel kit today with a bigger motor and load speed compensation. It was $100, but I'll get my money's worth out of it between RC, auto repair, and home repairs. Last one made it for 10 years.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    Yeah, I burned up my old 300 series Dremel making the thing cutting out the slots with the diamond wheel. Got my new 4000 series Dremel kit today with a bigger motor and load speed compensation. It was $100, but I'll get my money's worth out of it between RC, auto repair, and home repairs. Last one made it for 10 years.
    Very nice man! I'm also looking into getting the 4000 series dremel kit.

RC Qualifier
    fanatic,

Thanks for taking one for the stampede team!!

RC Competitor
    Are you sending it back, or do you want to sell it? For the right deal I would buy it from you for my E Revo. I could help you recover part of your money at least.
    Don't try this at home!

RC Qualifier
    Its hard to find someone with a slash/stampede 4x4, there's only a thousand of them in every town Seriously r+d isn't it the most popular traxxas product? The 2+ hours its going to take to make it fit sucks. Hope it performs well in the summer for you.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmoss View Post
    fanatic,

Thanks for taking one for the stampede team!!
    Anytime for my fellow stapede 4x4 vxl owners!

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by braaap58 View Post
    Its hard to find someone with a slash/stampede 4x4, there's only a thousand of them in every town Seriously r+d isn't it the most popular traxxas product? The 2+ hours its going to take to make it fit sucks. Hope it performs well in the summer for you.
    I know what you mean man. RB INNOVATIONS should have taken time and money to invest in a stampede 4x4 vxl to do some R&D. I plan not to run this blower anymore since I still don't have any tools (dremel) to make it fit. I'll just settle for a regular motor fan.