Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Cool MITCH316 Rally build.

Well guys, I pulled the trigger today and bought a Rally roller of eBay...I've decided to join the RALLY crew and document my build as I go along .

I was going to build an eRevo GT but have shelved that project indefinitely for now after browsing the Rally forum over the past couple months...a rally looks like a whole lot of fun .

There are a few good build threads on the go here...lots of valuable information gathered. Thank you to all for sharing your build threads and taking the time to document as you go along. I like building, wrenching and customising my own rigs, I thought it would give it a go with a Rally.

I really like Humayray's Rally build...so that is what I am going for...a Rally GT build . I have taken a bit of info from all the build threads and this is what I am going to use for my build so far.

Aluminium shock towers front and rear.
    Aluminium steering bell crank.
    King Headz motor mount.
    Steel CVD's.
    Aluminium front C hubs and rear axle carriers.
    17mm Hubs.
    XO-1 Wheels...I bought 2 sets of fronts premounted, we'll see if they need to be taped was in use.
    PROTOform PF8-GT body.

This should get me going with a good kick off to my build once all parts start arriving.

I am still toying with the idea of using a Tekin RX 2000kv combo in this build...I've had this motor and ESC lying around for a few months now...or I may look at getting another MMM 2200kv combo. I plan on using MOD1 gearing...starting off with maybe 20/36.

I plan on running mainly 4s, maybe 5s...I am still undecided at the moment.

My other trucks I have are an eRevo, Summit and an eSlayer Pro 4x4...making the Rally build #4; I am not sure how I am going to explain this one to my wife again ...I'll figure something out.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 02-04-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Added info.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    cheers mate,........your off to a new start lol. congrats on the purchase........ i'm sure your wife will understand
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    cheers mate,........your off to a new start lol. congrats on the purchase........ i'm sure your wife will understand
    Cheers mate...she always come around after a while. I'm leaning towards another MMM 2200kv after watching your vids.
    Rock n Rolla !

My MMP/2800kv is somewhat OK but, that torque that i experienced with the 2200 is far beyond.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Congrate dude!!! Can't wait to see this coming together. Post pics.....bunches of them. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Congrats!
    and....what 17mm adapters are you going to run? do you want the wheels offset more, or will the xo wheels stick out farther then buggy wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Congrate dude!!! Can't wait to see this coming together. Post pics.....bunches of them. LOL
    Cheers mate, I will post plenty of pics...I've grabbed quite a bit of info from your build thread...I'm leaning towards the new MM2 as you suggested over the Tekin RX8 2000kv combo I have. The motors are almost the exact size.

I know that the MMM 2200kv is a beast in my eRevo .

Quote Originally Posted by JackSlash View Post
    Congrats!
    and....what 17mm adapters are you going to run? do you want the wheels offset more, or will the xo wheels stick out farther then buggy wheels?
    I am going to use the XO-1 adapters the same as Humayray...I've never seen the XO-1 wheels in person; all my shopping was done from my desk at work.

The front set of wheels are similar dimensions to buggy wheel specs and has a slight offset in the rim of about 5mm I'm guessing from the pics. I am going to run fronts on all 4's. I chose XO-1's wheels because they say they are rated for 118mph...I bought them premounted hoping to get away without taping them. We'll see how this goes as I don't plan on getting anywhere near that speed.

I'll be happy if my car reaches the mid 50's and will be a dedicated 4s street machine...maybe running 5s/6s on the odd occasion. I know Humayray said he flipped his car on 6s so I will be using with caution.
    Rock n Rolla !

Does anyone have suggestions for servo upgrade??

I have 2 brand new Savox servos at the moment which is an overkill for this rig...SA-1230SG and a SA-1231SG.

I am leaning towards one of these Savox servos...
    SC-1251MG which is a direct replacement of the stock servo where @ 6V = 125oz-in torque and is only 25.4mm high
    SC-1257TG @ 6V = 138.9oz-in torque and 37.2mm high
    SC-1258TG @ 6V = 166.6oz-in torque and 37.2mm high

My thinking is the SC-1258TG...any advice would be greatly appreciated .
    Rock n Rolla !

i've always wanted to buy this one. 6v @ 222oz-in torque
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Savox-SC...item3a7df1c2c6

^^^yeah mate...that's a good servo and for the price its a steal.

I'm thinking of getting SC-1258TG. The specs are as follows:
    Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
    Weight(g): 52.4
    Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .10
    Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 133.3
    Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .08
    Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 166.6
    Gear: Titanium & Aluminum
    Bearing: 2BB
    Case: Aluminum
    25 Tooth Spline

The stock servo is 125 oz-in so the SC-1258TG at 166.6 is already a big improvement and has lightning speed. The servo height is also what grabbed my attention been 37.2mm high as opposed to the stock servo height of 42.3mm.

I thought with looking at a bigger motor like the MMM 2200kv combo for this rig that 5mm difference in height may come in handy and not make the chassis look so cluttered .

Speaking of servos, how do you find the performance of your truck running stock servo with the extra weight from the motor and servo.

I am more excited about this build than all my other builds...and now the waiting game has begun .
    Rock n Rolla !

I run a couple of the 1258TG Savox servos and they are beasts. I totally recommend them. You might need a glitch buster depending on which ESC you go with. If you can get your hands on the new Mamba Monster v.2 (waterproof) it has a better built in BEC. You can set it between 5-7v. Which would handle this Servo very well.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Cheers Digger, thanks for the info mate.

I run a Savox SA-1230SG in my Summit and just recently noticed how this servo was glitching...at first I thought my servo was broken (on its way out) because it was only glitching when I would turn the wheels right. I tried the SA-1230SG servo in my other 2 trucks and the same thing happened...I bought a replacement servo thinking it was broken; I should of known better. The new one came and same story. I have just recently ordered a glitch buster for my Summit to see if it helps with the problem...The Summit has the stock EVX2 in it and DeWalt 14.4V motor mod.

In my eSlayer Pro 4x4 I am using the Savox SA-1231SG and running the Hobbywing 120A 2000kv combo...this servo performs well and has no glitching whatsoever.

Maybe it glitches in my Summit because its more power hungry?? I am well impressed with the Savox servos and for the price you get them at.

In my eRevo I am running a Hitec HS-7950TH servo without an external BEC and changed my ESC's BEC to 6V with the field link programmer. This servo also performs well on the MM without any glitching.

I pulled the trigger again yesterday and ended up buying a new MM2 ESC and a Castle 2200kv motor off eBay for my Rally build.

With your feedback from the post above I've settled on the Savox SC-1258TG servo...$60 delivered to my desk, can't beat that mate.

I've blown well above my intended budget for this build...by a lot . What we do for the hobby, you got to love it...once again, thanks for the info mate.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 02-05-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    awesome! I want a Kyosho Inferno 1/8 Subaru STi body for this build but they can't be found easily or at all anymore. Ive seen pics of them on slashes and its amazing looking. GL with your build tho man, The setup sounds promising
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    1258 is great crazy fast, but it needs a glitch buster, also all savox are noisy. Hitec servos runs smoother also futaba. When are we going to see the first pics ?..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    1258 is great crazy fast, but it needs a glitch buster, also all savox are noisy. Hitec servos runs smoother also futaba. When are we going to see the first pics ?..
    Have this servo in my Slash sans glitch buster and no issues.

Hey Craig, I expect the same level of detail and content in this thread as your others mate.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post

Hey Craig, I expect the same level of detail and content in this thread as your others mate.
    Castle ESC 's tend to have weak BEC's that's why they need a glitch buster or external BEC. The new ones like the MM2 are supposed to be stronger. I hope to try one in the future.

@Craig glad to help ya. Hope the glitch buster is the fix for your other 2 servos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Speaking of servos, how do you find the performance of your truck running stock servo with the extra weight from the motor and servo.
    its actually working okay, it steers ok...... it does its job so far but, when i do drifting around i can see the front wheels jerking alot as the servo struggles. i will eventually get a better servo later on.

RC Qualifier
    Castle ESC 's tend to have weak BEC's that's why they need a glitch buster or external BEC. The new ones like the MM2 are supposed to be stronger. I hope to try one in the future.

@Craig glad to help ya. Hope the glitch buster is the fix for your other 2 servos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Yeah have heard this complaint before. Having said that though I have a 1231 in my Maxx running off Castle ESC without external BEC or glitch buster and again, no issue. Guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Quote Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
    awesome! I want a Kyosho Inferno 1/8 Subaru STi body for this build but they can't be found easily or at all anymore. Ive seen pics of them on slashes and its amazing looking. GL with your build tho man, The setup sounds promising
    Thanks mate...there some good threads floating around here in the Rally section that helped steer me in the direction I took for my build. Those Kyosho Inferno bodies do look good .

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    Cheers mate...SC-1258TG it is...I looked at Hitec as I am running one in my eRevo; they are just to pricey for my liking. I know what you mean about the Savox been noisy...they are a very talkative servo .

The pics will start once the roller arrives...which should be a couple weeks I hope. Shipping to Australia is not always the best at times....

Thanks for the input on the servos mate...I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post

You know me mate ...I'll try document as best I can...I'm still finding my feet around the rally section and learning as I go.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 02-05-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

I hope so mate...at the moment it seems to be only the one servo that need the glitch buster...the SA-1230SG in my Summit...it is a very power hungry servo @6V 500oz-in. Hopefully the glitch buster should arrive this week from the States...I ended up getting myself the Racers Edge #2474 glitch buster. If that fails I will end up putting the spare SA-1231SG servo I have on hand in the Summit; I do not really feel like soldering an external BEC on.

I'll run the SC-1258TG servo on the new MM2 without a glitch buster first, setting the internal voltage via the field link programmer to 6V and see how we go. Thanks for your input mate...I appreciate it.

its actually working okay, it steers ok...... it does its job so far but, when i do drifting around i can see the front wheels jerking alot as the servo struggles. i will eventually get a better servo later on.
    Good to know...I thought as much...my thinking is the SC-1258TG servo is perfect for the Rally and what I have in mind.

Out of curiosity:
    What weight shock oil you running F/R??...I know you are using the Jato blue springs.
    What diff oil you running F/R??...since I am basing my build primarily on your build; your rig looks good in your latest vid.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 02-05-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

IOut of curiosity:
    What weight shock oil you running F/R??...I know you are using the Jato blue springs.
    What diff oil you running F/R??...since I am basing my build primarily on your build; your rig looks good in your latest vid
    i put back my slayer springs (green 3.5/yellow 2.6) to support the weight of the 2200 and my shocks are filled with 60wt all around.

i put back my slayer springs (green 3.5/yellow 2.6) to support the weight of the 2200 and my shocks are filled with 60wt all around.
    Interesting...thanks mate!...And your diffs front and rear?
    Rock n Rolla !

Interesting...thanks mate!...And your diffs front and rear?
    my diffs are from XO-1. i know we talk alot about aluminum diff cup or losi diffs at ERBE section, but with this being much lighter than ERBE's the stock plastic cups are fine.....it would'nt hurt to put a good set of aluminum cups though lol.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 02-05-2013 at 10:27 PM.

my diffs are from XO-1.
    OK...you running stock XO-1 diff lube in your diffs or did you change the lube.

What is the difference between the Rally diffs and XO-1??...I haven't explored this option.
    Rock n Rolla !

OK...you running stock XO-1 diff lube in your diffs or did you change the lube.

What is the difference between the Rally diffs and XO-1??...I haven't explored this option.
    rally dont have the I bar and i use ofna 50k F/R

rally dont have the I bar and i use ofna 50k F/R
    You legend...thanks mate. I plan on using the HR diff cups in this build...I also have a heap of those I-bars lying around that I need to use up. Now, just have to wait it out till my parts arrive .
    Rock n Rolla !

thats awesome mate...i cant wait for all the pictures for us to see

sshhhhh..........i'm also buying parts little by little to build an XO-1, so far i got the motor mount and chassis/top brace.

Nice ...as always I will follow your build. Thanks for all the info and help mate.
    Rock n Rolla !

Just a little update...bits and pieces have finally started to show up today.

So far what's come in:
    Aluminium shock towers front and rear.
    Aluminium steering bell crank.
    King Headz motor mount.
    A few other odds and ends...I will reveal all as I slowly start to build my rig.

I am very anxious and waiting patiently for my roller to arrive...I can't do much until that's here. I plan on totally stripping my roller down and rebuilding to my liking.

I've probably gone a bit overboard on the parts I have ordered...but hey, I wanted too at the end of the day .
    Rock n Rolla !

thats awesome mate. after i get my XO-1 GT8 done....i'm going to build a stock Rally with ford focuz body and powered it with my Losi ESC/2800kv that way i can bash right here at the near park lol.

thats awesome mate. after i get my XO-1 GT8 done....i'm going to build a stock Rally with ford focuz body and powered it with my Losi ESC/2800kv that way i can bash right here at the near park lol.
    Sounds good mate...can't have too many rigs .
    Rock n Rolla !

Exclamation Rally Roller

Well, it's finally here...I got my Roller today and there are a lot of things I am going to change and customise to my liking...still a few things outstanding... .

A big thanks to those with their build threads on here as I have taken a bit of info from all...

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    And so it begins. Know the inside details of this one, cannot wait to see the finished product.

A little update...not much really to add.

So far all I have done is fit my Tekin T8 2000kv motor to the chassis with mod1 gearing (22/36) to see how it fits. The gearing fits great; the motor can is long so there might be some slight trimming of the chassis. I am still waiting on the motor to arrive that I have bought for my Rally which is a 2000kv motor.

No trimming will be done until the motor arrives which will be hopefully sometime this week. Shipping from the States to Australia is long winded and frustrating at times like now. I have the majority of parts now for this build but am still waiting on the motor, A-arms and my body.
    Rock n Rolla !

Cool Chassis modification.

Let the MOD's begin...

Finally after what seemed to be a very long wait my motor has arrived...I am still waiting for the A-Arms to arrive but have everything else I need to begin my build .

I am really looking forward to this build and want to make the Rally GT8 my best build out of all my rigs I have .

On this rig I am running the new MMM2 with the 1515/1Y-2200kV Neu Motor. In order to get this motor to be a nice fit a slight bit of trimming on the chassis was required.

I used my Dremel with the sanding disk to trim the chassis back to fit the motor as shown below.
    Before trimming the chassis:

=====
    =====
    You can see the scollop I have made to accommodate the motor.

=====
    =====
    After trimming the chassis:

As you can see in the above pic that there is a nice 5mm clearance gap between the motor and the chassis.

Next, this chassis will be dyed black...the same as my other chassis to keep my rigs looking similar. Any how...I personally do like the look of a black chassis .
    Rock n Rolla !

Cool Rit Dye.

Black Rit Dye...This is the powder form, I find it very easy and convenient to use.
    =====
    =====

=====
    =====
    And the end result...The chassis came out good; I am a fan of the black dyed chassis.

=====
    =====

=====
    =====
    And here where I scolloped the chassis to fit the motor is hardly noticeable now that the chassis is dyed.

=====
    =====
    My method of Rit Dyeing
    To rid dye I would add the whole packet of dye, in as much water as I need and mix the powder until all dissolved in the water. I would add 500ml of vinegar along with my parts and leave over the stove top with low heat.

For this dye session I kept at a low heat for roughly 3hrs and then left overnight. The whole process took roughly 10hrs before I emptied the bath and washed the parts that had been dyed off.

While on the stove top I never let the water boil once...when I saw a few bubbles appear I would lower the heat or turn off.

This is my dye bath I use...I got it down at the local hardware store for $12. They call it a galvanised bucket here in Australia.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Amazing job with the mods! Can't wait to see how it looks all put together with the dyed chassis.

RC poster
    I'll definitely be watching this build. Looks like you have a great plan going into this! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

here one thing that i did to the batt tray mate.....i use a strip of gorrila tape to keep it neat and getting scratched up....little stone tend to crip in under there between the lipo and now my lipo wrap has tiny dipples lol.

love the bucket mate...i can sure use one of those

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroelectric View Post
    Amazing job with the mods! Can't wait to see how it looks all put together with the dyed chassis.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoaRk View Post
    I'll definitely be watching this build. Looks like you have a great plan going into this! Looking forward to seeing the progress.
    Thanks guys...the build is going slowly...I've realised today that one of the parts I've ordered are not for the LCG chassis. It may take a little bit longer to complete than initially anticipated .

here one thing that i did to the batt tray mate.....i use a strip of gorrila tape to keep it neat and getting scratched up....little stone tend to crip in under there between the lipo and now my lipo wrap has tiny dipples lol.

love the bucket mate...i can sure use one of those
    Thanks for the info mate...I've just realised that I have ordered the wrong extended battery hold downs...their is none listed on eBay at the moment/
    Rock n Rolla !